The Shame and Betrayal of Maine’s New England Values

11/03/09-by Bridgette P. LaVictoire
325px-Seal_of_Maine.svg“If you put it up to the vote of the people, we’d have slavery again.”- Jesse Ventura.

Maine voters have decided that they would rather be bought out than uphold the traditions of liberty and freedom that have made New England a haven for those seeking rights away from the tyranny of others. They have bowed their heads to the nameless, faceless financiers of campaigns which continue to sew bigotry, hatred, and suspicion of their fellows. They have bowed their knees to potentates in the Catholic and Mormon Churches and claimed that this was about their freedom of religion.

They have betrayed all that made New England the unique place that it always was. They let themselves be scared by a state that is their neighbor.

What is worse, now that they have accepted those pieces of silver to betray their own state, expect that their Senators will be challenged by people from Alaska, Utah, Georgia, and Alabama. Let them face the fact that those who believe in buying elections will come knocking on their doors in order to unseat Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins. Let them find out what it means to become a state that whores out its own opinions to others.

The day will come very soon when Maine will regret turning its back on equality. It is time that the legislature of Maine strip the Catholic Church of all its exemptions. It is time to force the National Organization into the light. It is time to purge their dens of iniquity and shame and to force them into the light.

It is time to dismantle those who seek through deception and fraud to repress others.

Maine has chosen. They have chosen to abandon freedom for tyranny. They have chosen to allow the repression of others to continue.

Today, Maine joined those who seek to dismantle what Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Gouverneur Morris sought to build. They saw a nation devoted to freedom and liberty where the minority was not the subject to the tyranny of the majority.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” Jefferson.

Today, Maine voted to ensure the majority’s tyranny continued.

Governor Ventura is correct, and more. Had the Civil Rights Act of 1964 been put to the vote, it would have been struck down. Had any rights of the minorities been put to the popular vote, they would have been struck down.

And the Catholic and Mormon Churches should remember this, had the majority of the past had their way, their churches would not exist in America today.

If they had voted on the First Amendment, we, today, would all be required to be Anglicans.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

comments

34 Responses to The Shame and Betrayal of Maine’s New England Values

1. newz4i

November 6, 2009 at 6:34 pm

BOYCOTT MAINE LOBSTERS!!!!!

What?

All this does is save lobsters … making the families more important than ours.

• Sei

November 6, 2009 at 6:37 pm

The push to boycott Maine lobster as seen on this site is incredibly sarcastic, and has a strong point behind it.

• newz4i

November 6, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I have to waste space because I can’t type. This is what I meant:

All this does is save lobsters … making lobster families more important than ours.

2. newz4i

November 6, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Gays have got to STOP being the nice guys/women on the block. People of religion aren’t. And this isn’t about taxes, founding fathers, or whatever else can be dreamed up. This is about unadulterated hate directed at OUR families. You know, the ones that don’t look like theirs. If we keep acting like little pansies, they’ll be walking in “legally” to remove our family members … in the name of some “loving” God. It’s time to rally: in Catholic Mass standing silently holding this sign: We Do Not Like Your Families Either.

3. Craig

November 4, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I don’t get it. Pro gay marriage propronents in Maine raise twice as much money as those who oppose it and Sei is complaining that the Catholic Church sent the donation tray around twice. Money wasn’t the difference, people’s personal preferences were and more people voted down gay marriage than voted to uphold their state legislators. Shouldn’t it be the voters who have the final word?

• Sei

November 4, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Craig,

What the Catholic Church did is not only unethical, it is illegal. Churches are not allowed to actively campaign for or raise funds for political campaigns. They are suppose to lose their tax status as exempt organizations. Unfortunately, people who should be doing that are too scared to actually do it.

It is also a matter of civil rights. Craig, if we had put civil rights in the 1950′s and 1960′s to a vote, African-Americans would still be segregated. Had we, two centuries and more ago voted on whether or not Catholics should have rights, they would have been denied it. Until recently, that is, the last sixty years, Catholics would have been denied rights if it were put to a vote.

So, please, I have every right to be angry.

You, on the other hand, have no right to tell me not to be.

4. Mike

November 4, 2009 at 4:08 pm

The debate of voting versus legislation on issues such as gay marriage does have merit. What i don’t understand is when people backing gay marriage lose the vote (31 times in a row) they unleash so much of the hatred and vitriol they claim to abhor themselves. Words like shame, betrayal and tyranny are used to describe those who disagree with them. I thought the civil rights movement was based on freedom to vote and the freedom of dissent among citizens. If I voted against gay marriage I would never use such venomous words to describe pro-gay marriage voters if the vote went in favor of gay marriage. It’s also really weak journalistically to blame Mormons or the Catholic Church, if you interviewed hundreds of voters who went against it and many said the church was a motivating factor, then theres something there , but Maine is a fiercely independent state in the way they work and live, im just not buying a heavy religious influence on this vote.

• Sei

November 4, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Mike-

The Catholic Church and the Mormon Church provided 91% of the funding to get the measure on the ballot in the first place. Now YOU tell ME why we shouldn’t blame them.

• Mike

November 4, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Thats a good point regarding the measure being introduced, i wont argue with your statistics, im sure theres alot more research on your end regarding gay marriage than on mine. However, the measure gets on the ballot and the people vote to repeal gay marriage every time this issue comes up. I feel like those who are pro-gay marriage just cant accept that most people disagree with them, and feel the need to blame big organizations. Id be willing to bet a majority of Americans who dont go to Church would be opposed to gay marriage as well. Whether that is morally right is a valid debate, but enough already with the belief that those against gay marriage are just dim neanderthals who are brainwashed by churches.

• Sei

November 4, 2009 at 7:00 pm

And the Mormon and Catholic Churches provided just under 90% of the funding for the Yes on 1 campaign. The Roman Catholic Diocese in Portland even sent around a SECOND collection plate one day in order to get money from their congregation in order to fund the campaign. So, please, before you try and say ‘oh but there are more who don’t go to church, don’t blame the church,’ please understand that we have quite enough to blame the Churches for. Without their push, and without the funding, and without their pastors and ministers and priests preaching it from the pulpit, this would not have happened.

• Sei

November 4, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Mike,

Your last comment was a direct personal attack in an attempt to negate my point. I have removed it since I have that right. Crying about ‘Freedom of Speech’ will get you a very nice explanation of how you are not entitled to any free speech on this forum since it is privately owned and that the First Amendment only applies to the government. If you would like, you are more then welcome to put together another post attacking me for using emphasis in my posts instead of actually trying to counter my point. I am, of course, more than capable of deleting your post again, and then, if you so wish, drop you into the banned category.

I am being nice and giving you a warning. My patience is not without its limits.

• Mike

November 4, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Can you accept that the majority of people don’t want gay marriage? Im not saying “accept” in that you should stop trying to get gay marriage legalized, im saying just basically that its been proven over and over again, if this argument goes back to the church then we’re really just spinning our wheels.

• Sei

November 4, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Mike,

The people in 1840 in Virginia believed that it was their inalienable right to own other people. The people in 1840 throughout the country would have said that it was absolutely alright for a husband to beat, rape, and even kill his wife. The people in 1840 believed that Catholics were out to conquer the world, and would do what ever they could to stop them.

Just because the majority at the time believes it is right does not make it right.

Your argument does not work. Simply saying ‘the majority’ does not make it right. In Russia, the majority use to believe it was alright to round up and execute Jews. In Ireland, the majority Anglicans believed it was alright to starve Catholics to death by ensuring that they had little or no way to grow enough food. Of course, they could easily be granted equality if they just converted.

So, no, I cannot accept that the majority of people don’t want marriage equality. If you do not like the fact that I plan on continuing to fight on until this nation fulfills its promise that President Thomas Jefferson stated in the Declaration- that all men (that is all humanity) are created equal, then I am sorry, but we have reached an impass.

• Mike

November 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm

It wasn’t an argument, i just wanted to know if you believed the majority opposed gay marriage. I hadnt seen anything in your posts that had said whether you believed this. At no point did i say the majority believing it made it right, so the arguments about slavery and the jews really doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Do you really think id come on this site talking about gay marriage and say the majority believes its wrong, therefore it is wrong and think that you wouldnt respond with a comment about oppressed groups in the past?

• Sei

November 4, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Your argument is that the majority opposes marriage equality. I countered. You’ve backtracked. I’m going to sit here and point out that you’re attempting to backtracking, and you’re going to hope that I don’t sit here and say that you’re backtracking.

Mike, you came in and tried to say that I should accept that the majority opposes same-sex marriage. I countered with how it is not right for the majority to repress the minority and take away their rights. You’ve decided to backtrack and say that you just wanted to know if I believed that the majority oposed marriage equality. I am not dumb, sir. I can read the polls. I can also read the analysis of those polls. I am working on an MA in History and Mythology.

Oh, and Mike, given some of the comments I’ve deleted in these forums, I have long ago stopped thinking that someone would not come here and say ‘the majority opposes this now shut up’.

Now, I hate to tell you this, but we have reached an impass. You may not like that. I do not intend to accept second class citizenship in the country of my birth. And I do not care if the majority says that this is wrong. I am not going to change, and I am more aware than you are, since you have already stated your ignorance regarding this issue, of what kind of mountain I am climbing.

• Mike

November 5, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I havent backtracked at all, you said just because the majority is against gay marriage doesn’t make it right. I never said it was right.

• Sei

November 5, 2009 at 4:49 pm

“Can you accept that the majority of people don’t want gay marriage? … im saying just basically that its been proven over and over again”

Previously, you admitted that I knew more about this subject than you did. It seems rather impossible for me not to know that the majority are against this.

“Ah, you have studied, and in studying you have learned that man is mortal.”- Princess Bride.

When you write “can you accept…” you are making the argument that the majority is right. You may not feel that you are, especially given your next statement, but you are saying that I should accept that the majority do not accept marriage equality. Perhaps your wording could have been different. If that is the case, then we have all made the mistake of using the wrong wording before.

You have, since then, tried to rewrite the narrative. This too could be that you did not write what you thought you wrote, or I am reading it differently than you wanted it to be interpreted.

• Mike

November 5, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I even qualified the word “accept” im that comment, yet you keep going back to it, and now your copying and pasting it with that part removed

• Mike

November 5, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I agree the word accept was a poor choice given its taken several back and forths to rectify that argument. I genuinely did not know whether you believed the majority was opposed to gay marriage, having nothing to do with whether that was right or not.

• Sei

November 5, 2009 at 5:30 pm

I removed part of your statement as part of what is used in editing to highlight a specific set of arguments.

Ok, so it was poor phrasing. I do know that the majority in the nation, and in most states, do not accept same-sex marriage.

Back to your original point, about the churches. A lot of the funding for the fearmongering comes from the churches. Mark Mutty who orchestrated the Yes on 1 campaign even took a leave of absence from the Roman Catholic Church in order to run the campaign. The churches often flaunt the law by preaching for political causes from the pulpit and supporting them financially. They get away with it, too, because people are afraid to stand up to them. Until a church has been forced to pay taxes for violating their tax status, nothing will change. So, yes, the churches are neck deep in this whole thing.

I know that it is only part of the problem. While I work on this one, I am also working on trying to do changes to our message, and to combat ignorance. It is not easy to do when you have a religious organization pumping out their propaganda relentlessly and without fail.

• Mike

November 5, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Im at least engaging you in a debate, im not sure Thomas Jefferson would be as willing. “Jefferson was not an advocate of women’s suffrage; author Richard Morris wrote, “Abigail Adams excepted, Jefferson detested intellectual women. Annoyed by the political chatter of women in Parisian salons, he wrote home expressing the hope that ‘our good ladies … are contented to soothe and calm the minds of their husbands returning ruffled from political debate.’” While President, Jefferson wrote that “The appointment of a woman to office is an innovation for which the public is not prepared, nor am I.”[89]

• Sei

November 5, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Mike,

Many of the Founding Fathers would have been against the dissolution of slavery. However, they knew that society changed, and they felt that it was best to let the future generations determine that direction. I disagree with many of the things that those men believed in, but I do know that they knew that the nation would change once they were gone.

That is the one blessing of the system we were given.

5. Pingback: Tweets that mention The Shame and Betrayal of Maine’s New England Values - Lez Get Real -- Topsy.com

6. Pingback: GayWeddings.com