CPAC Conference Drama vs. Drama starring GOProud

By Melanie Nathan,  2/19/10  .  The three-day CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference) convention started Thursday at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel in Washington, DC. The Conference features the usual suspects and hence the overt anti-gayers such as former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, media ‘whorerer’ Ann Coulter, South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint and former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum. Conservative media whacko Glenn Beck is the event’s keynote speaker.  Several prominent social conservatives have bailed out of this year’s CPAC convention because of the presence of a group of gay Republicans, called GOProud.

Anti-gay groups such as the Christian-based Focus on the Family Action, Phyllis Schlafly‘s Eagle Forum and the Catholic Advocate will speak on a range of social issues, including one panel titled Saving Freedom from the Enemies of our Values.

Earlier this year when it was announced that the conservative gay group GOProud would be serving as a co-sponsor of this year’s CPAC conference, some Religious Right groups threatened to boycott. However, only Liberty University Law School the Christian-based university founded by the late Jerry Falwell, actually followed through.  Maybe they are still hosting Ms. Lisa Miller and were truly too busy to attend and are simply using GOProud as a crutch.

Well if all those courageous gay Republicans succeeded in accomplishing was to keep the Liberty crew away – I say job jolly well done!  But no, I for one appreciate the visibility, albeit adorned in a cloak of oxymoron visibility.

So can someone please explain to me, since I am thousands of miles from the real action,  sitting here in PJH blogger mode, with license to “SKILL!”  What were the GOPRIDES trying to do – convert the ‘other’ conservatives to the unfathomable depths of acceptance?  Hey gay GOP’s it will take a lot more than a cute name, and a few Million bucks to do that.

.On the exhibition floor, the gay Republicans have set up their Little Shop of Whore-rers mere booths down from the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), the nation’s most ferocious opponent of gay marriage.

So to illustrate the fun, here are two Video representations of  the show – all drama! Did I say  drama?  I say yes, GO drama GO, because ‘drama is as drama does’.

California Young American’s for Freedom’s Ryan Sorba better hold on to his tuchus after his display of fundamental inaccuracy  - and maybe I was wrong, maybe the OXY- is no longer Moron…. And the GOPriders were welcome in some way, anyway…..  you be the Judge…

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Melanie Nathan

thought i would use my conservative picture for this one not the cute lesbian one!

By Melanie Nathan, nathan@privatecourts.com
 www.oblogdeeoblogda.wordpress.com

Comments

comments

14 Responses to CPAC Conference Drama vs. Drama starring GOProud

1. Pingback: CPAC’s right-wing children | Capitol Hill Blue

2. Tracy Coyle

February 20, 2010 at 9:41 pm

GOProud did what it needed to do – show that their positions are based on solid conservative principles – not emotional knee jerk responses to perceived slights – or even outright hatred/hostility. CPAC focused on those principles and accepted GOProud as a sponser and speaker. The organizations and individuals that showed irrational behavior/attitudes were rightly called on them by the audiences.

I agree with Nate(?) that GOProud has more to be proud of than CPAC but I will not dismiss the significance of their attending and being supported in the face of hostility.

The right does not like the open hostility of Left organizations (that are more interested in political power than individual rights) anymore than the left likes the open hostility of Right organizations (that are more interested in political power than individual rights).

Notice that? The Socons and the Socialists are different sides of the same coin – the use of government to determine individual behaviors/choices.

Standing for individual liberties and limited government interference in our lives does not require a specific sexuality or gender identity.

• Sei

February 20, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Tracy,

I have a problem with saying that the Socialists are the same as Social Conservatives. Truthfully, pure Socialism is not about restricting individual rights, but about restricting Corporations in order to prevent them from running rampant and trampling over individual rights. Socialism is also suppose to be about ensuring via a strong social rescue network (social security, welfare, unemployment insurance, medicare) the tools necessary to prevent rampant poverty and to give people greater means by which to raise themselves to their full potential and to make sure that their individual rights are protected by giving them educations, social mobility, and access to what they need.

Unfortunately, the term has become corrupted by a lot of the buzz word pushing columnists and commentators. A lot of what people talk about with regards to Socialists restricting individual rights is intended to scare people and muddy the waters of debate.

NOW, before I get attacked for what I have stated, this is THEORY not practice. Some people on the Left take their restrictions way too far. Personally, I have no problem with people smoking outside, but there are people attempting to restrict that. There are people on the Left who want to restrict people on several levels, and that is wrong. They are not Socialists. I don’t know what they should be called, but they are not true Socialists.

At the heart of both the Social Conservatives and these overly zealous Liberals is a kernel of totalitarian thinking. Do not get me wrong, they are different sides of the same coin, and these people who are willing to push this kind of totalitarian thinking are dangerous to our society.

3. Nate

February 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Your mood swings are your own business and aren’t important to me.

But it is distracting for you to argue against points no one is making (criminalize homosexuality? birth certificate issues?)

TO THE POINT: I’m applauding the support GOProud has received. You are applauding them for going into what you deem hostile territory. The point of all this (and what makes it all such a great story) is that CPAC has been shown to not be the lions den some people make it out to be.

Incidentally…..having a super majority in the Senate, holding the white house, and having a majority in the house DOES mean that a party can pass what ever bill they want. A lack of passage is due to conflicts inside the party. This information only requires a rudimentary knowledge of government. But if got your facts straight or watched the news you would know that.

• Nate

February 20, 2010 at 5:56 pm

the last post of mine was in response to a post by sei that no longer seems to be there. So, to any readers out there, the seeming unrelated references are to a post of sei that no longer exsist.

• Sei

February 20, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Nate,

I find it quite insulting that you ascribe this to a ‘mood swing’. As a transsexual, according to all medical science- I CANNOT GET MOOD SWINGS! Comprede? Or maybe I should point this out better. I take four milligrams of estradiol per day. Supposedly, I have no uterus, ovaries, or any other natural female parts. Thus, I do not have a menstrual cycle. Thus, my ‘mood swings’ are hardly hormonal, which, incidentally, is what you are implying with your statement.

Nate- get this clear- the Democrats may not be able to pass things easily, but the Republican Party as it stands RIGHT NOW will NEVER give us the light of day. YOU seem to not comprehend that. I applaud GOProud for going into the lion’s den to spread the word of LGBT Rights, but get this clear Nate, MY facts are straight regarding every single aspect of this. YOU are the one who seems to be mistaken. Stop thinking that just because YOU are a Conservative and supportive that means that ALL Conservatives are supportive because that is often what it sounds like you are saying. Democrats betray us, so we must walk into the mouth of the Beast in order to get our rights. The GOP will one day support us in our push for rights, but they are not there yet. And, no, it is not distracting for me to discuss the recriminalization of homosexuality, or TRANSGENDER IDENTIFICATION ISSUES. Those are not distractions, Nate, but uncomfortable truths. Or did you not know that is what many Religious Conservatives- people who are right now part of CPAC and who have denounced them for inviting GOProud- want to do? I have no problems with GOProud, Nate, and I have no problem with fiscal conservativism.

Incidentally- you made a mistake that I have tried several times to clarify for you- I AM NOT A DEMOCRAT. My ‘Party’ is not the Democratic Party. I am a Centrist. I am an Independent. Which, incidentally, only adds to my anger on this subject.

One last thing, I CHOSE to remove that comment. I CHOSE to remove it because I am angry. While I did not regret what I said, I removed it because I felt it was better to not show my anger and frustration quite as much as I was. I am tired of having people come in here spread what are, quite bluntly, inaccuracies, lies, accusations and attacks. I get tired of having to repeat the same information a dozen times to someone who does not seem to want to listen, or who thinks that rudimentary THEORY means that the PRACTICE follows precisely.

As a recommendation, if you do not like my anger, then do not reply. Please enjoy the articles on the site. I tend to not be quite so…forceful…in my writing when it comes to the articles.

4. Pingback: Taking The Message To The Lion’s Den- GOProud Gets Support, Opposition at CPAC - Lez Get Real

5. Nate

February 20, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Melanie Nathan, thank you for the warm welcome. I am very glad I found this site.

Sei…..until recently the Dems did have a super majority in senate, thus, no filibuster. I am curious. (and not being argumentative) Why would Barney and Tammy go through all that trouble when the bills would defiantly be shot down and not when they did have the white house, house and a super majority in the senate?

6. shadow_man

February 20, 2010 at 11:12 am

To those of you using the Bible as a weapon against homosexuality, you are

wrong. Homosexuality is not a sin. The Bible is constantly being taken out of

context to support anti-gay views. Any educated Christian would know that.

Scholars who have studied the Bible in context of the times and in relation to other

passages have shown those passages (Leviticus, Corinthians, Romans, etc)

have nothing to do with homosexuality. These passages often cherry-picked

while ignoring the rest of the Bible. The sins theses passages are referring to are

idolatry, Greek temple sex worship, prostitution, pederasty with teen boys, and

rape, not homosexuality or two loving consenting adults.

7. Nate

February 20, 2010 at 3:16 am

I don’t usually post but this issue interested me. I’m impressed at the support that was shown for GOProud. Even on right blogs the level of support has been impressive on this issue.

Members of the gay community can give credit where credit is due and see that there is wide support for the gay community in the conservative movement, or try to continue to paint all conservatives as anti gay, hoping against hope that some liberal media outlet will bestow the title of talking head for the left on them. THere are clips on the internet of NOM being asked about GOProud and visa versa…Check it out.

As to “What are they trying to do?” I’m not a member of GOProud but it sounds like they are trying to promote fiscal responsibility, national security blah blah blah right leaning issues as members of the gay community. Does being gay mean you have to have all hard left opinions? No…Did the democrat white house, democrat house and super majority in the Senate see gay issues get resolved? No to that too. Why didn’t Tammy Baldwin or Barney Frank at least have a gay marriage bill or DADT repeal bill printed and ready to go?

This is a long post. But that’s what I get for being new to posting and doing so from work…

• Sei

February 20, 2010 at 9:40 am

Nate,

I support GOProud even if I disagree with them on other issues. Before you go after both Baldwin and Frank on the DOMA and DADT repeals, please make sure that your facts on those issues are correct, though. The Military Readiness Enhancement Act was introduced in the last Congress with the support of both Baldwin and Frank as well as Polis. They worked to craft the bill, and sponsored it as well. Threats of a filibuster from Republicans and lack of support among Democrats to get it passed the 60 vote threshold prevented it from getting passed last Congress, and threatens to derail it this Congress. I support GOProud simply because by building support on the Right, it will be possible to get bipartisan support for repealing DADT, which is what the MREA does, btw. I do not like the tendency of people on either side of the political divide to act as if their party is blameless in the mess that is going on right now. The sham solutions beign offered on the Right are just as bad as the dithering incompetence on the Left. But the MREA was printed and ready to go. The DOMA repeal was an unlikely addition to this mix. That is why it was not printed and ready to go. A lot of people put talk of marriage equality into higher priority, but the reality is that most of us are doing that to cover things like DADT repeal. Politics is a complex game of seven level chess. It is not simple in the least.

• Melanie Nathan

February 20, 2010 at 10:45 am

Nate , thanks for posting and welcome back anytime. Yes it seems they did get support. I think it is amazing that they are participating in GOP politics and conservative realm to this extent – it is a poignant way for anti-gay Republicans (and obviouslyt all are not) to be faced with the reality of our existence.

8. Pingback: lezgetreal