Rachel Maddow is Not Getting Married

Rachel Maddow and Susan
Image by eric susch via Flickr

02/08/2010- by Natasia Langfelder

Rachel Maddow wants you to know that she is not getting married. Maddow is currently living with her long term partner, artist Susan Mikula. Maddow and Mikula met when Maddow was a grad student. Maddow shoveled Mikula’s driveway…among other things.

Maddow said in an interview today:

“This spring, we will have been together for 11 years, and our relationship is serious and happy, mature, monogamous. We like having the right…but we’re making our own decision about whether we should exercise it.”

I don’t want to delve into the validity of Maddow’s relationship. However, statements such as these generally occur right before the couple in question breaks up. This applies to gay or straight relationships. Ladies, feel free to get your hopes up.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

comments

27 Responses to Rachel Maddow is Not Getting Married

1. roy henley

January 11, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I love MS Maddow she is a funny bright person and a bright spot on tv news she reminds me of my sexy wife Helen.:)

2. Pingback: Rachel Maddow- Beyond spin – Obamas productive year | Keith Olbermann Fansite

3. Jools

February 16, 2010 at 1:45 am

The point would be.. there is no point! There is no valid reason for this article. Except of course, if Rachel and Susan were to break you can claim your site mentioned it as a possibility first… how nice.

So do you hang around the 30 Rock commisary… if so, why didn’t you ask Rachel if she wished to comment before publishing the article? As for Rachel sticking up for herself, that’s very true but first she’d have to be aware of the article and the rumour you tried to start. I don’t see any problem in people defending Rachel in any way if it’s the correct thing to do and from reading the comments everyone has the same problem with the article and to comment about it was the correct thing to do.

4. Gail

February 11, 2010 at 9:40 pm

And my point is, please do not make such unsubstantiated statements regarding anything, based on English Comp 101 no-no’s like saying “generally” as your source. Are you kidding me? That’s completely made up and incredibly amateur. That’s all. It’s not about RM, it’s about sloppy “reporting.”

Rumors swirl first, then all this gossipy crap begins. There are no rumors except the ones being fabricated here. Do you see the difference? That’s what I’m talking about regardless of subject matter. Is Lezgetreal aspiring to be The National Enquirer? Then: Ur doin it rite, lol.

Oh and sorry, were you trying to “pull rank” with the 30 Rock remark? Are you RM’s spokesperson, then? Wow. Doubly impressed. Do you get her coffee?

I was just calling bullsh*t on bullsh*t. Too bad if people who publish stuff don’t like being asked to get their facts straight and not rumor monger.

This exchange is the first time I’ve posted anything here. So, sorry, no stalker points, hon. If this type of misrepresentation is what you do here, other than regurgitate and recycle other people’s work, then no worries, I won’t be returning.

5. Gail

February 10, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Oh God. And what are my intentions other than asking you to be honest? Are you fresh out of high school by any chance?

It was an interview, she was asked. She was not alerting the press and releasing a personal state of the union. Deflection denied, Natasha. But I’m glad now you’re *trying* to be reasonable and not trying to make other people seem like they are not for not buying your not so credible gossip slant (other than me and my secret agenda, that is). Statements like this: “I don’t want to delve into the validity of Maddow’s relationship. However, statements such as these generally occur right before the couple in question breaks up. This applies to gay or straight relationships. Ladies, feel free to get your hopes up” are pure crap, gossip, and just plain made up for the sake of stirring up trouble. I hope you learn to do better than this and continue to work on your credibility when plucking a statement out of context for the sake of tabloid style speculation.

6. Natasia Rose

February 10, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Gail, I changed it because that commenter was right, I was wrong. I changed it because she had a valid argument, in a way. The statements people make during interviews are and can be refered to as well, stating it to the public. But I’m not unreasonable and I understood what the commenter was trying to say. And I really didn’t mean the previous statement in a mean way. I think that the way you took it says more about your intentions than it does about mine.

7. Gail

February 10, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Wow, what a disappointing “article.” Gossip? Really? Maddow has been asked and has answered the same question for years. And you’re dishonest/sloppy, too. I see you changed it from RM “released a statement” to noting, yeah, it’s from an interview. Where they ask questions. Like about your relationship.

What a petty little swipe. Bored?

8. Jools

February 10, 2010 at 6:28 pm

No, it’s not that serious, so why bother writing about it? I think people are just bothered that you’ve taken a statement out of context so you can make a little story about it.

9. Natasia Rose

February 10, 2010 at 9:28 am

Lighten up, girls. It’s not that serious.

10. a.

February 9, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I don’t think it’s a coded statement of imminent breakup, because I could have written it myself (except “This fall…13 years…” and we DON’T have the right yet in our home state) and I’m fully confident in the health of my own partnership!

11. Pingback: A G

12. Pingback: Teabaggers Attack Rachel Maddow On Twitter - Lez Get Real

13. Natasia Rose

February 9, 2010 at 8:28 am

It’s not that they haven’t gotten married, it’s that she keeps talking about why they haven’t. Charlize Theron/Stuart Townsend style. The lady doth protest too much. If that’s a warning flag, blame Shakespeare.

• Chris

February 10, 2010 at 2:18 am

Erm, I’m pretty sure she keeps talking about why they haven’t because interviewers keep asking her why they haven’t. Could be wrong. Anyway, I wish them both all the best.

14. Pingback: Ava DeLuca

15. Pingback: Politically In Style

16. Pingback: Michael Stryder

17. Chris

February 8, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Not to delve too much into your lifestyle, but I think you read too many gossip mags. This couple has been deciding against marriage for eleven years straight, why on earth would it be a crisis now? And why on earth would I hope for such a thing? Come on.

• Natasia Rose

February 8, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Yes, Chris. I agree with you too. No one breaks up after eleven years. It’s the law.

• Chris

February 8, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Ha, you’re touchy. Fine, Maddow and Mikula could break up tomorrow for all I know. Minor point though – Maddow did not “release a statement” as you describe it. That quote is from a recent interview in USA Weekend, in which she was directly asked if she and her partner planned to get married. She’s been getting that question in interviews since at least 2004, and her answer has been pretty much the same. So she’s not exactly throwing up warning flags here.

• CanuckJacq

February 9, 2010 at 8:58 am

Chris I’m inclined to agree with you. In fact, it’s the least negative/definite answer she’s given.

• a.

February 9, 2010 at 8:23 pm

They’ve been deciding against marriage for more like seven years. It wasn’t a very feasible option for American same-sex couples until Ontario legalized in June 2003.

18. Pingback: Meo

19. JR Russell

February 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm

They’ve been explaining this for years… I wouldn’t say anything is imminent.

And I’ll be gutted if they break up. There’s enough sadness and drama in the world already, and they’re sweet together.

• Natasia Rose

February 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I agree with you JR, there is enough sadness in the world without being “gutted” over who is or isnt dating Rachel Maddow! Don’t let it keep you up at night.

• CanuckJacq

February 8, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Ah come on now, you’re the one bringing it up.

It’s just nice to see some sane couples in the world.

20. Pingback: lezgetreal