SHOCKING Utah Emulates Nazi Strategy

Posted By Melanie Nathan – 7-22-10

Hitler Started Campaign Against Jews With Lists

The ACLU site has re-posted this Article Originally posted on Huffington Post.

Utah may be diving head-first into a “race to the bottom” with Arizona to make the state as frightening as possible for people who look or sound “foreign.”

Last Monday, a group calling itself “Concerned Citizens of the United States” issued a list of 1,300 Utah residents it claims are illegal immigrants. The list of Hispanic names, birth dates, workplaces, addresses, phone numbers and Social Security numbers was sent to law enforcement agencies and news media demanding that those included be deported immediately. Women who are pregnant are noted along with their exact due dates, and the list specifies that steps should be taken for their immediate deportation. The names of children are also included in the list.

The accuracy of the list is dubious, reflective of the myth-making that often fuels anti-immigrant sentiment. By Wednesday, at least two women on the list and contacted by the The Salt Lake Tribune reported that they were actually in the country lawfully.

In a letter accompanying the list, the unidentified authors chillingly state that they have been observing the individuals in “our” neighborhoods, streets, stores, schools and public welfare buildings. They claim additional information was obtained through infiltrating the “social networks” of those identified. New lists are promised on a continual basis, presumably until every last “illegal” has been hunted down and many thousands of innocent people have been spied on and harassed by vigilantes.

Notably, these anonymous “Concerned Citizens” make no effort to account for their own identities or the legality of their collection and dissemination of personally identifiable information.

On Friday, state officials announced they have identified two Utah state workers who illegally accessed state databases to help compile this list. They’ve been put on administrative leave. Attorney General Mark Shurtleff promised an “immediate, aggressive, formal investigation.”

The ACLU of Utah commends the swift action of Gov. Herbert and AttorneyGeneral Shurtleff in responding to investigate the release of private information once the list became public. It was critical that many senior state officials and legislators spoke out againstthe breaches and intimidation tactics. These security breaches also make clear that the government must do a better job of restricting access to and protecting databases containing such highly personal information.

While this list is a disturbing new development, this apparently private action is symptomatic of what has been frequently condoned by government – This  racial profiling, is swelling beneath the tourist-friendly, family-values face that Utah presents to the rest of the World and nation. State legislators have promised to introduce a bill modeled on Arizona’s S.B. 1070 in the upcoming legislative session, drawing encouragement rather than discouragement from the Justice Department lawsuit challenging Arizona’s law. In 2008, Utah passed an omnibus anti-immigration bill, S.B. 81. Arizona’s new law has Utah and some other states wondering how they can copy it and make things even worse, and Gov. Herbert has signaled that he will sign yet another ill-conceived immigration bill.

Hopefully Utahns realize, as their leaders now seem to do, that the list went too far. The anonymous compiling of personal information and the watchful, spying eyes of vigilante groups is cowardly and antithetical to long-established American ideals of liberty and individual sovereignty.

In a few weeks, Gov. Herbert is convening a roundtable of Utah legislators and community leaders to discuss immigration. This is the right time to responsibly address the intimidation and rising fears of a significant and diverse part of Utah’s population.

Rather than follow Arizona’s lead to the bottom, Utah can shift course to reclaim its reputation for compassion, integrity and a respect for all.

AND YES it has started….

Utah officials said they have identified at least two state workers who apparently accessed confidential documents to create a list of 1,300 purported illegal immigrants that was mailed to law enforcement officials and the news media.

Gov. Gary Herbert said the employees work for the Department of Workforce Services, which administers food stamp programs and other public benefits. The employees have been placed on administrative leave, and the state attorney general will determine whether to file criminal charges.

“It’s a very small group. The people we’ve identified certainly have some strong political opinions and seem to be frustrated with some of the issues around immigration,” said Kristen Cox, executive director for the department. “I think it’s an immense hypocrisy to talk about taking people to task for being illegal and doing so by breaking the law.”

Posted By Melanie Nathan

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

comments

29 Responses to SHOCKING Utah Emulates Nazi Strategy

1. Edwina

July 24, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I think you should consider re-evaluating everything you wrote.  This is not South Africa.  Maybe you have such great fear of what you imagine might happen that it has clouded your judgement. Instead of inventing all of this in your mind, instead of protesting, instead of fear mongering (as you claim that the people who support immigration laws and reform do), instead why don’t you work to get the nations where these people come from to share their wealth within?  Why is it not their own governments responsibility?  hmmmm, Aren’t there many many wealthy Mexicans?  Senior Slim comes to mind.

• Melanie Nathan

July 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm

A@ Edwina Yes this is not SA BUT – This is becoming South Africa. That is the point! My analogy and story is exactly what the law opens the door to in AZ. The fact that you do not get it, reflects the differences in our experiences, I studied and practiced law in South Africa, have been a USA Citizen for 28 years and as a lawyer feel fully qualified to interpret the AZ law and apply the South African example!!!! If you have stood in my shoes Edwina then please tell me to re-evaluate again!

2. Maggie

July 23, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Good lord. DO you people look at what you are writing? Has America become one huge “victim’s” holding tank? Geeze,. Suffering is not having enough to eat to keep you alive. It’s constant pain without remedy. It’s a broken heart. I’m a very old lady that has seen a lot and the longer I live, the more I see people enjoying being a victim. Pays well, gets the attention of corupt polititians and well, let’s face it, makes for long conversations with a theapist. Other than that, just keeps you wallering in your own sweat.

• Melanie Nathan

July 23, 2010 at 7:15 pm

@Maggie – first off before I respond who is “you people?” that may be helpful to a response – the commentators/ Undocumented aliens or those seeking equality?

• Edwina

July 25, 2010 at 6:08 am

Maggie, You are so correct.  Too many simply wanting sympathy, especially economic sympathy

3. Ray Eston Smith Jr

July 22, 2010 at 11:43 pm

The first United States immigration law was the racist Chinese Exclusion Act of 1873. Homosexuality wasn’t removed as a cause for exclusion until 1990. Immigration restrictions have always been about hate and fear and shutting the door behind you.

4. Becky Chandler

July 22, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Yes it is disgusting and disturbing–but once Goodwin’s Law comes into play–I lose all interest in the article–and here it was blazoned in the Title.

• Edwina

July 22, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Ray, Wake up!
      I, myself was once arrested in Mexico, simply because I did not have my documentation on my person….Hmmm……, a $20 bill solved that problem, but that is not my real point.  My point is simply, if you are a law breaker, do we really want you in OUR country?  Yes,OUR country.  Not their  THEIR country!  My dad was an immigrant.  He proudly went through the maze of laws and finally obtained his American citizenship, never once asking for government assistance.  I remember he was so proud when he finally achieved his goal. He wanted to be an American.  His goal was to be allowed to achieve his dreams….not to have an easy life, not to be supported by our welfare system, not to send wages back to some other nation, but to live here, work here, and be an American.  This man was devoted to this country. You spoke of unalienable rights….yes Ray, we AMERICANS because of our system, are allowed to celebrate these rights.  Perhaps, where these illegal aliens come from they are not so endowed. I feel for them.  However, if they wish to enjoy these American rights, they should do so LEGALLY.  For if they choose to ignore our laws are they not simple criminals?  Don’[t be an idiot Ray, wake up!  Our laws are our laws.  If I were to break them, I would have to suffer the consequences….is this not so?

• Edwina

July 22, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Becky,
      Perhaps you have some validity.  There ARE other solutions.  Has the government (federal) enforced our existing laws?  I do not think so, do you?  Personally I am in favor of a National ID card, such as found in most of Europe.  I personally would like a guest worker type of program. I think that if you and I (or any other group of  reasonable persons were to sit down and rationally discuss various ideas, we could write a simple, easy to understand  law that would work. You know Becky, the real problem here is the career politicians and lobbyists.

July 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Edwina,

The Obama Administration has arrested and deported more illegal immigrants than the Bush Administration did. Just thought you’d like to know that.

• Ray Eston Smith Jr

July 22, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Jen & Edwina -

(1) It is almost impossible for a Mexican with no relatives here to immigrate legally. The waiting list is at least 11 years.

(2) The vast majority of undocumented aliens come here to work, and they work very hard. The percentage of undocumented aliens on welfare is far, far lower than the percentage of citizens on welfare.

(3) John Hancock, the first man to sign the Declaration of Independence, was a tea smuggler – a law- breaker. Anne Frank was a law-breaker. Fugitive slaves were law-breakers.

(4) Why is it, that whenever I say immigration laws are immoral, somebody goes into a rant about obeying the law? I’m talking about doing our duty as citizens and judging the morality of those laws.

- Ray

• Melanie Nathan

July 23, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I appreciate all the comments here, thank you… and of course we are all entitled to our own perspectives. But in this case I say let the facts speak and always factor in the lessons that history provide. Having immigrated to the USA myself about 30 years ago, having adopted a baby from Vietnam, having married a same-sex spouse from an overseas country, I have had my fair share of the inequities suffered under the immigration law of this country. I am now a USA citizen. Very few citizens in the USA unless naturalized have ever had to experience what it is like to live in fear and at the ransom discretion of people barely qualified to make big decisions based on lousy law.

Now while we wait for federal reform, the various States, who do NOT have jurisdiction in the realm of Immigration because its Federal law, are in fact breaking the law themselves (in the sense of unconstitutional for a State, or local police – to arrest anyone under federal immigration law.) They do not have the legal authority because a crime has not been committed in respect of which they have jurisdiction.

The list cannot be compared to sexual offenders – because in that case, the list does not banish them , it is done in compliance with the law that protects victims for the purposes of safety and disclosure.

In fact sex offenders should not even be living in our neighborhoods they are proven criminals who hurt children. the list favors their release from prison. Bad Cf.

Again please feel free to add more comments.

• Melanie Nathan

July 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Ray thanks again for your insight. please review y new comments, mel

• Edwina

July 23, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Ray, Breaking our laws is simply breaking our laws.  My significant other spent 7 years, thousands of dollars and became a citizen….Ray, I do not disagree that our government should revise our laws.  However, because of various reasons, probably spineless politicians (both Democrats and Republicans)  being the most evident, this has not happened…Hence, Arizona….God bless them…Maybe now something will happen.  But Ray, breaking the law is simply breaking the law.  Should our laws be ignored?  Should we capitulate our constitution?  Well, Obama already has – but that is another issue.

• Edwina

July 23, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Well Ray,
      Get this idiot we have for a president and these wimps we have for legislators to pass a rational immigration bill.

• Edwina

July 24, 2010 at 6:58 am

Ray, immigration laws immoral? Every country has them.  Are you advocating one country on the planet?

Ray, laws are laws. Hopefully they were crafted to benefit, preserve, or protect a countries citizens.

Ray, our laws are our laws.  Should not they be enforced?

I don’t know if I believe that it is our duty to break our laws.  Rather we should change them.

• Melanie Nathan

July 24, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Edwina when the immigration laws were drafted the ideal was that it would be familial based. That families were to be kept together, Tell me and laws be damned, what is worse than a mother not being with a child, a wife not being with husband, a wife not being with a wife, a husband not being with a husband, and siblings and grandparents all being separated. It has nothing to do with moneyl It cost me over 70,000K to keep my wife in the USA because gays are discriminated against in the Immig law, yet others don’t have the 70K what should they do? It should have cost me $1500 – but we chose the legal route that was open to us. Most same sex couples who cannot afford the money and have no legal route either stay together illegally or they leave the USA even if they ARE citizens to be with loved ones. When the laws do not do what they say they will do, people tend to rebel.

Everyone has a diff story. The laws suck and people are forced to make tough decisions. ALL of this does not mean that a single STATE gets to usurp the jurisdiction of the Immigration Law which is federal. AZ knew that Immigration reform was in the air – in fact there was already a house Bill. Obama cannot change law overnight without congress and the say no to everything Republicans.

• Melanie Nathan

July 24, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Have you read my article on the Apartheid State of Arizona? http://lezgetreal.com/2010/04/the-apartheid-state-of-arizona-precedent-for-lgbt-immigration-equality-in-california/
      This is an excerpt

It would also require local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are in the country illegally.

They might as well have written – “ Police must stop anyone with a Latino like complexion, and anyone with a non American accent to check to see if they are in the USA legally or not ”

To Analyze –
      require – Creates an obligation on a police officer
      Question – means in effect can detain for questioning
      Reason to suspect – color of skin, accent

What is the next step- for Arizona – its tantamount to compelling yellow H’s for Hispanic on Lapels of every legal Latino person in Arizona. Yes that would make it a lot easier would it not?

Example number 1:- I am a white US citizen – I was born in a foreign Country. My work sends me to Arizona for a conference. I have a profoundly different accent. I walk into a store to purchase chewing gum. I ask the store clerk whether or not they have sugarless gum. Standing next to me is a police officer. Under the new law, the police officer is compelled to turn to me and ask me for proof of citizenship. I only have a California Driver’s license. I have no proof of my US citizenship. I have never had to carry my passport when travelling interstate in my country of citizenship. He takes me to the precinct for further questioning. If he does not then he is not doing his job, because my accent is all he needs for reasonable suspicion. The police cannot release me because there is no proof. A driver’s license does not prove citizenship. I cannot call home to have my passport sent to me because my spouse is abroad for a month during summer vacation. The Police decide to keep me overnight – they have to because there are so many people in the local jail waiting processing under the new law, that they cannot get to me to help contact the Feds to see if I am in fact legal!

Example number 2:- All facts are exactly the same. In this case, it is my co-worker Maria Gonzalez. However she did not have to open her mouth she was about to walk into the store for her pack of gum and her Latina complexion compelled the officer to ask her questions.

Arizona republicans, in their misguided venture or perhaps overt racism have no idea how this has detrimentally impacted their State or for those who do not subscribe to a pure white only isolated State:

1. It is too risky for many people to cross that State line. This would mean that Corporations will have an obligation to keep their employees safe from persecution (which in essence is precisely what racial profiling amounts to ) It is then inadvisable for any business to send an employee to Arizona for a conference or on any business whatsoever.

2. The remaining USA States or the Federal Government must embark upon an educational campaign to prepare their citizens for entry to Arizona. That means they ought to establish a means for advisories warning anyone of color or with an accent to take their proof of US citizenship with them into Arizona. The risk of not doing so would be a few nights in jail.

3. It is a matter of time when the Latino population of Arizona decide to empty out of their apartments – lease or no lease- legal or undocumented. They will and should all leave that State. Who wants to live under persecution.

What should we do:

a. Binational LGBT couples must leave Arizona if they are living an undocumented life, because the net is now cast and you are as good as in it

b. All businesses who hire people of foreign descent whether legal or not should refrain from attending any conference in Arizona

c. All people of color, foreign descent should not attend any event in Arizona:
      Bring your weddings to California
      Bring your Conventions and sporting events to another State

d. Do not dream of a vacation in Arizona is now defunct….. do not risk going there – if you could feasibly fall into a suspect class, like me the white American with an accent, not to mention those of you in way more risky group.

The legal doctrine of Preemption will provide the counter argument to this legislation. Arizona can vote in Congress to State its position on a federal issue, not legislate in the State. Arizona Legislators have justified the new Bill with a statement that the Federal Government did not act fast enough to protect their State from undocumented immigrants. Ironically perhaps a mass exodus of migrant workers and the fail of Arizona tourism and economy may well be more detrimental to the “people of Arizona.”

There is also an entire argument as to the elements of proving a crime, in respect of which this legislation dangles in precarious vagueness.

I lived in South Africa during the apartheid era. The corner stone of apartheid was that racism was institutionalized into law. The law made it legal to racially profile and hence separate. The type of legislation that fostered separation was the segregation of population groups in certain areas, regulated by such acts as The Group Areas Act and the Blacks (Urban Areas) Consolidation Act. In terms of the latter it was an offense for a black person to FAIL to reside in a black residential area such as a township or homeland, so designated. To unlawfully enter a different (white) area without a PASS (an exemption) was a crime subject to time in prison.

This meant that a police officer could approach any person of color on the street and ask to see his/her PASS. It was horrendous. It turned into a witch hunt by the authorities; because, like Arizona now, it was the duty of the officer to find such criminals. I was their job.

The courts were packed! During my Articles of Clerkship, I would sit in Court room in Johannesburg and watch children, one after the other, being brought up into court after days in the bowels of that cold building, handcuffed, belying their few years and criminalizing their failed quests to enter white areas to be with their mothers, whose ‘pass books’ had provided their exemption but not that of their children.

The police would go to extraordinary means to catch their quota and people were traumatized by the constant harassment. The PASS law is the very law that the USA sanctioned South Africa for during the 80’s and now would be President, Senator McCain in his vocal approval of this law has essentially applauded an apartheid State of Arizona, while defecating on the Constitution of the United States of America.

• Ray Eston Smith Jr

July 24, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Americans are like the frog in the pot of slowly warming water. As the water gets warmer, the frog just gets sleepier. By the time the hot water starts to hurt, it’s too late, the frog is unconscious and soon boils to death. It’s time to wake up the frog!

- Ray

• Edwina

July 25, 2010 at 6:10 am

what frog do you want to wake up ?

• Edwina

July 23, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Wake up Bridgette!!!

July 23, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Wake up to what, the reality that the Obama Administration has done more quietly to remove the problem that you are complaining about than the Bush Administration did or that Governor Brewer has done with her draconian legislation? I would say that the person who needs to wake up is you not me. Arizona’s idiotic law has created more problems for law enforcement in terms of actually taking care of the real crime than it has solved. The problem for people like you is you want Obama to advertise everything he is doing to make this nation safer, and to crow about every last tiny little victory the same way that President Bush did year after year even when we were losing.

Rather than holding onto your prejudices about Obama and your FOX news derived information, it would be much more useful if you would learn a lot more about the reality that is going on. The thing is, I tend to gather and process a lot of information, Edwina. I also know how to weed out bad sourcing such as is typical on the Right and occasionally on the Left. A lot of the stuff that Brewer and the anti-illegals are doing has nothing to do with actually keeping the border safe. It is all about race baiting and gaining power from the fear that they create within people just like you.

Police officers along the border are furious over the fact that Brewer cut budgets and then put through this draconian bill which, incidentally, is impossible to enforce. The author Gloria Anzaldua in her book Borderlands/La Frontera recounted how her brother- who was born in the United States- was deported to Mexico because he did not carry his birth certificate with him. There are a lot of things that we can do to secure the border, but this law will only result in the harassment of law abiding, naturally born Hispanics.

Incidentally, I am Hispanic. You cannot tell an Hispanic by the color of their skin or the name that they carry. One of the great heroes of the liberation of Argentina was one Bernardo O’Higgins. I am pale skinned and red haired. My mother is blonde, as was her father. My great-grandmother, a woman born in Chile, looked Irish.

Incidentally, maybe you would like to talk to the Republicans about actually working instead of doing nothing by making snarky comments about the Obama Administration. It seems that all they want to do is sit on their duffs and do nothing. I have a feeling that, if the Dems proposed rounding up every single Hispanic in this country, the Republicans would be saying ‘no’.

You aren’t talking about rationality, or even logic. You are talking about draconian laws which are not based upon logic, or upon any of the reasons or rationales that are being offered up by the people claiming to do this for the betterment of this nation. Sorry, Edwina, but somewhere between the do nothing Republican Party and the idiocy of people running around demanding the kind of idiotic and damaging legislation like Arizona’s, this nation is serious eff in the short term.

I want to know one thing- where was your anger and indignation about this problem when Bush was in office?

Bridgette P. LaVictoire
      Associate Editor
      Lez Get Real

• Melanie Nathan

July 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm

As for the title Becky – take it any way you want – I am Jewish and my family has suffered directly from the holocaust. – the analogy is critical because of cause and effect! Simple as that… history has its lessons and the Jews vowed: “never again” – this falls well into that category. I feel I have a duty …

Again please feel free to add more comments.

• Melanie Nathan

July 23, 2010 at 4:32 pm

@ Edwina – I think you need to get caught up on what has been going on in the world of Federal immigration . Unfortunately I don’t have time to get into it. There is a framework for comprehensive Immigration reform, via senator Chuck Schumer and others and a house Bill via Luis Gutierrez. Legislation takes time. Obama did Healthcare first and that was a never ending debacle. So there is legislation change on the cards – it IS NOT simple. as you say- its very very complicated. Whether it takes long or not – it is no excuse for the States such as Utah, CO, AZ or local governments to breach the Constitution of the Country that binds the States – AZ, CO, Utah are NOT autonomous countries and nor are their local governments. Immigration is a federal issue. These States are crapping on the Constitution. That is plain and simple to see. They must wait for law. Also people have no right to illegally target other people just because they believe the Feds are not acting quickly enough. It has far reaching consequences.

5. Edwina

July 22, 2010 at 6:26 pm

OK< OK< OK,,,,But I still do not understand how anyone can condone breaking into our country, even if it is for a better life.  If I were to break into your home (simply to take advantage of you so that I could have a better life) I would be arrested.  I know for a fact that if I were in Mexico without documentation I would be arrested.  How can anyone argue against this logic?

• Melanie Nathan

July 22, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Yes you are right. it is not okay to Break into America and your analogy is perfect. It IS the same as breaking into someone ‘s house. But here is the problem Edwina. We have laws in this country. The Country is divided into States. Each State has its own laws and must also abide the Federal laws which are those that cover AMERICA as a whole. States are not autonomous Countries. So they cannot step on the toes of Federal Law. SO The Immigration and Naturalization ACT which covers anything to do with immigration including law enforcement of breaking immigration laws and rules, can ONLY be handled by the Federal Authorities such as DHS and ICE. The State of Utah, CO, any State has no law under which its police can arrest a person for breaking Immigration Rules – unless you are now in Arizona where they have made it legal in their state. However they are being challenged by the Federal Government saying they are Not permitted under the constitution to make such laws.

The point of this article is to show that this way of taking action – by making lists- could well be hiding a worse motive and that is one of hate and discrimination and scapegoating. The State of Utah has no legal right to make that list and go after those people. Period!!! Thats how Hitler started his holocaust against the Jews.

• Melanie Nathan

July 22, 2010 at 6:58 pm

PS There are other solutions for immigration control and that would be found in the reform Bill now only a framework for which we all wait.

• Ray Eston Smith Jr

July 22, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Immigration laws are immoral – they allow the government to break into my home and kidnap my guests. America is not a communist state – it consists of a whole bunch of adjacent lots of private property. Your private property rights are meaningless if a mob of your neighbors can get together and dictate to you who is allowed on your private property.

The analogy with Nazi Germany is right on target. America’s first Immigration Law was the 1873 Chinese Exclusion Act to prevent the “Yellow Peril”, the Chinese immigrants who built our railroads, from bringing over their families. Switzerland’s first immigration laws, in the early 1900s, were to keep out Jews. In the 30s, U.S. Immigration laws kept out many Jews, dooming them to Nazi death camps.

People are always asking, “What part of “illegal alien” don’t you understand? My response is from Thomas Jefferson: “all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.” What part of “unalienable Rights” don’t you understand? “Unalienable rights” and “illegal alien” are mutually exclusive concepts – one of them must be invalid. I’ve made my choice. A newborn doesn’t lose her inalienable rights just because of her latitude & longitude at the time of her birth.

Yes, undocumented immigrants are arrested in Mexico, as in Nazi Germany. But is that the standard we should set for America? Do we really want to be more like Mexico and Nazi Germany instead of like the land of freedom envisioned by Thomas Jefferson?

- Ray Eston Smith Jr

• Jen

July 22, 2010 at 9:07 pm

@melanie: Well, if we’re going to say that lists are the means to a holocaust, by all means, stop listing the sex offenders in our neighborhoods. Wouldn’t want to make them feel alienated or discriminated against in their own communities.

@ray: Glad to know that you are volunteering to shell out the extra thousands of bucks in taxes for the illegals coming in and clogging up our healthcare and wellfare systems. I’ll be sure to tell Uncle Sam to knock on your door extra hard next tax season just for me!