Texas Cop Gets One Year In Jail For Raping Two Transwomen

01/20/11-by Bridgette P. LaVictoire

"Good Christian" Rapist Craig Nash

The news out of Texas is if a man rapes a ‘tranny’, he gets a slap on the wrist while his victim gets a life time of pain and suffering. Craig Nash received a year in jail on a misdemeanor charge of “official oppression” despite the fact that he arrested a transsexual prostitute in San Antonio, handcuffed her, drove to a hidden location, and forced her to perform several sex acts while he was on duty. Her story was confirmed by a rape kit that showed that Nash had raped her, and the GPS device in his patrol car showed that he had driven to that location. What is more, another victim had come forward to tell that she, too, had been raped by Nash.

Prosecutors cut a deal with Nash that he would avoid any and all felony charges of sexual assault by a police officer, and dropped all charges brought by the second victim so long as he pled guilty to this one misdemeanor charge and he agreed never to work in law enforcement in Texas again. His lawyers portrayed him as an honored police officer who ‘had a lot of heroic acts’ and that he was a good father with six children. Of course, a good man would never rape two women, transsexual or not. Prosecutors also felt that they should not pursue the felony charges because they would have had ‘additional issues’ to deal with- namely the anti-trans prejudices of the community who would probably feel that it was alright to rape two ‘trannies’ because, after all, as far as the community- and the prosecutors- cared, they are subhuman perverts.

Because of the lack of healthcare and the lack of employment protection across the country, many transwomen turn to prostitution in order to simply survive and to transition. Often times, this puts their lives at risk not only of catching venereal diseases, but also of being beaten or murdered due to prejudiced men who pick them up.

Note: I am well aware of the perjorative connotations of the words ‘tranny’ and ‘trannies’. I am making a point here about how transpeople are viewed by the likes of Nash and these prosecutors- simply put, as far as they are concerned- transpeople are not humans and this infuriates me.

Source

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

comments

28 Responses to Texas Cop Gets One Year In Jail For Raping Two Transwomen

1. P.

January 24, 2011 at 12:52 am

Regardless of anything else, including gender, this man has raped at least one other human being, and yet, is not subject to Megan’s law?  I thought that was put in place to protect our families, our children.  So he suffers, and maynbe his children do as well, but doesn’t the bible say that thw sins of the father, unto seven generations, not for just one year.  He, as a policeman, used his position of power to sexually assault another person, got caught, by legal means, with evidence, and now, can move into my neighborhood, and jepordize my children?  Somebody tell me that this abuser of other humans is on the Sex Offender’s Registry, please!

2. darlean

January 24, 2011 at 12:44 am

Bridgette, I get why you used the word tranny. You were showing disgust for how the word is used. I don’t think it’s your problem if someone is going to take the word out of the context in which you used it.

This whole thread reminds me of a Bloom County cartoon from twenty years ago where someone said something, and someone else said he was offended. Opus remarked that he was offended by the person being offended, and by the end of the cartoon everyone was offended and ran away. Sometimes I feel as if I’m living in that damned cartoon, because someone always offended about something.

• anna

January 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm

It sounds like you’ve missed the point.  It’s not about being offended, or causing offense.  The fact that I *exist* offends a reasonably large number of people, so I really don’t give a damn whether someone is offended. (well, in general.  I typically try to avoid offending people I care about)

The point of taking exception at the usage of particular language is that it causes genuine harm.  Using ‘transwoman’ instead of ‘trans woman’ seems like a small thing.  In fact, it is literally a small thing – just the presence or absence of a space.  But it has psychological and social ramifications that are disproportionate to the size of that space.  Because words are powerful.  Because language affects how we think.  Because semantics matter.

I’ve written briefly on this topic before (see http://annabunches.stringofbits.net/post/1167653226/trans-prefix-or-adjective), but I didn’t really get into the details of the negative effects ‘transwoman’ has.  And I won’t, because honestly, AJ did a pretty good job of it above, and many, many other writers have spoken about it at length.

January 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Anna,

As far as I’m concerned prefix or adjective amounts to the same damned thing. I said I want this matter dropped, and right now, I’m tempted to shut down all comments on this story.

Incidentally- I did not miss the point. The way I see it, prefix or adjective does not matter- it is a way to ‘other’ yourself. It is saying to the world that YOU are not a woman. You all have missed MY point.

• Natasia Rose

January 25, 2011 at 9:48 am

anna…two people were violently assaulted & the criminal got off basically scott free…and you are talking about a SPACE. I think YOU are the one who is missing the point. Not darlean or bridgette.

3. Melanie Nathan

January 23, 2011 at 8:27 pm

As an activist it pains me to see people take the focus off the article by arguing about terminology. One really ought to respect that this is Bridge’s article and how she expresses herself can be unique and viable as such. Its a shame to derogate from what is truly important about the piece. Here at LezGetReal we get so many people criticizing how we use words – to me the trigger ought to be content not semantics. Bridge I think its a great piece well done!

4. Nicole

January 23, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Bridgette,

“I don’t get along with the transsexual community very well to begin with, and the constant shift in terminology gives me a royal headache.”

I would hardly call it a constant shift in terminology as much as  a gradual development in terminology which is pretty common in every social group that is othered by the mainstream. Things like transperson vs trans person and cis vs bio or genetic are moves away from language that is othering and not as respectful for our identities. Yes  the older terms are still used but generally the community is moving away from them.

AJ asked politely and respectfully and gave reasoning so it is hardly like you were hounded for using terminology that people didn’t like. With tranny, you can probably always expect people to react negatively to slurs used no matter context or whether it is okay or not.

I prefer using trans woman when in context like I use lesbian woman. Both are descriptors I use for myself that regardless of whether I use the term, influenced my history, influences my actions in the future, changes how others interact with me and others views of how I am a woman or not.

January 23, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Nicole,

I wanted the readers of this article to BE angry and to react negatively. I did not use the word lightly or without great consideration. I wanted you to feel as you were reading this that the dehumanization of these women was everywhere within the actions of these men.

As for the terminologies- I feel that anything that includes ‘trans’ before it IS degrading and not respectful of our identities. Of course, declaring myself to be a woman without any prefix also tends to upset people a LOT no matter what their backgrounds are. I got into a huge fight when I declared that I do not think of myself as a transwoman/trans-woman/trans woman but simply a woman.

I just really wish you all would drop the subject since, quite honestly, I don’t really care what you think of me and this discussion is upsetting to me because it requires that I engage you on the basis of an identity which does not exist within me. I do not consider myself ‘trans’ anything and pretty much omit that from my life because it is not who or what I am.

5. anna

January 23, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Bridgette,

while I understand that you were using “tranny” to make a point about how the cultural attitude disgusts you, I’d like to point out that, regardless of usage, that word is triggering for a lot of trans women. A trigger warning ast the beginning of the post would go a long way toward making the post leads harmful, without removing the impact you are trying to make.

Also, on the sucject of “trans woman” vs “transwsoman”, it feels like you failed to answer AJ’s question.  Certainly, we are women and it would be preferable to simply have everyone think about and treat us as women. However, as long as trans women face opprression for being trans, we do need language to communicate about being trans.  And using trans as an adjective instead of a prefix is preferable because it emphasizes that we ARE women, and not something separate from (and thus potentially inferior to) cisgender women.

January 23, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Anna,

I will keep a trigger warning in mind for the future. The entire article was a trigger for me, and by the time I was finished, I was shaking in rage. Honestly, I really wish people would make up their minds about what they want. I don’t get along with the transsexual community very well to begin with, and the constant shift in terminology gives me a royal headache. Hells, I get tired of whether or not the right terms are transsexual, transgender, trans/intersex, transperson, trans-person or trans person. Sometimes it feels like there are fifty different opinions on the subject between thirty people.

Personally, I would much rather ditch the damned ‘trans’. This is why I abhor writing stories about the trans community. I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t.

One last thing, Anna, the reason why I did not answer AJ in full is because, right now, my patience with the trans community is rather thin. I am well aware that I should not expect you or anyone else commenting on the blog to know that I was assigned a male sex at birth; however, I have had a hell of a lot of negativity out of the trans community- including when I first began this process of correcting my sex a decade ago.

6. AJ

January 23, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Bridgette,

Thank you for the article.

One request: Please use a space between the word “trans” and “woman” or “man.” To say “transwoman”, for example, is othering; it sounds like a third gender, a different gender that is excluded from the umbrella of plain old “woman”.

Same for trans people vs. transpeople, and so on.

This first came to my attention in Julia Serano’s milestone book Whipping Girl. I hadn’t thought of it before and was like, damn, good point.

re: “tranny”
    I got what you were going for there but you definitely have to tread lightly on that one, particularly if you’re cis. I’m white, and would not feel comfortable doing something similar with various racial slurs, even ironically…

January 23, 2011 at 6:50 pm

AJ,

To be honest, I would much rather drop the ‘trans’ entirely. I do not consider myself to be a transwoman, but rather a woman. It does not matter that I was born in a male body, I grew up a woman, and that’s how I think of myself.

7. oldmanriver1951

January 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

my best friend from back in the navy days is a full transition transgendered woman, and the happiest I have ever seen her. As to this guy???? well..let’s just say that back in the day…we’d take the ‘enemy’..in this case the VC…skin him, pack salt in and sew him back up…that is what this a$$wipe deserves, a felony??? Makes me understand why I got the hell outta dodge when I turned 18….I like TX, but there are some Texans that are a waste of space and skin, and this ‘law’man is one of them…..

8. Kelli Busey

January 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Bridgette, I am appalled you used the word “Tranny” without properly accreditation. You denigrated transgender people and devalued your otherwise excellent article. Otherwise thank you for this article. I wonder why ‘peace’ officers are allowed such leniency.

January 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Kelli,

I used the word ‘tranny’, in quotation marks, because that is how this article made ME feel. I got a real sense that transpeople were being denigrated by what these people were doing and thinking. Just know that I did not use it lightly. While I think of myself as more intersexed than transsexual, and think of all of them as being a physical abnormality, this article made me furious.

Take care, and you are welcome.

9. FAEN

January 21, 2011 at 1:56 am

A year? Really? REALLY???

10. E N

January 20, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Of course this is a complete travesty of justice. Unfortunately, the two women probably don’t have the resources to file a civil lawsuit. I would sue this POS for every penny he’s got, his pension, everything. Of course, I’d never put myself in harm’s way like this.

Meantime, I’m starting to get really tired of hearing the excuse that transwomen have no choice but to prostitute themselves to earn money for transition. It’s not 1975. There are plenty of t-friendly places in this country, and (recession issues aside), plenty of businesses that will hire transpeople. Those who choose to turn tricks on street corners are doing it to survive, not to fund transitions. The majority of them have “habits”, or pimps who make sure they don’t get anywhere near the type of money together it takes to transition.

January 21, 2011 at 9:09 am

E N,

As you will note, I put survive ahead of transition. Unfortunately, in places like Texas, there are a lot fewer places which are trans-friendly than, say, Vermont. A lot depends upon where one lives. What is more, a low paying job will not cover the costs of transition very well. If it were not for VHAP, I would not be on hormones or have had my orichiectomy. Still, I cannot have electrolysis done or my final surgeries until I can pay for them myself, which is something I am struggling to do.

• Sarah Bright

January 25, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Not plenty of places.
      And even if a lady has a sex work job or does drugs, it’s not appropriate to blame her for being raped.

11. Sirjay

January 20, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Where’s the facebook petition?

12. Trampas Graham

January 20, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I meant to put five stars instead of one on this article; thank you for revealing this subhuman piece of trash.

13. Pingback: Gay & Lesbian Jewelry Review

14. Janice

January 20, 2011 at 7:51 pm

“Good Christian”!!! Don’t get me started!
    Great legacy for his six kids!

15. kelly ann

January 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Absolutely disgusting – the fact that he not only raped two women, but he gets away with it. Why? Because they don’t fit the standard definition of a woman? I’m infuriated beyond words.

16. Nicole

January 20, 2011 at 6:34 pm

The first trans woman is also in jail for prostitution. Which means men’s lock up. Which means chances are good she will be raped again.

17. Randy

January 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm

If I ever run into this guy I’m not going to be able to control what I do to him, in my opinion he is subhuman. He doesn’t represent the people of San Antonio and I dont want him here.

18. Melissa

January 20, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Fucker needs to be raped in his ass by a hot car exhaust pipe.. take it all the way in, buddy!

• Nicole

January 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Ugh, really don’t think rape as a punishment does anyone any good and just contributes to rape culture.