Paul Ryan Pursued By Protester With Giant Bible

06/03/11-by Bridgette P. LaVictoire

This can’t be good. A protester with a giant Bible went after Representative Paul Ryan. The blonde, 20-something man demanded to know of Ryan “Why did you choose to model your budget on the extreme ideology of Ayn Rand rather than the faith of economic justice in the Bible?” The young man said that he wanted to present Ryan with a Bible to teach him how to help those most in need.

According to Talking Points Memo:

Ryan talked to reporters briefly and signed autographs for fans, largely ignoring the protester.

The Congressman never mentioned Rand in his speech, who he has cited as a hero in the past, but did discuss his faith and its connection to American government.

“Our rights our not given to us from government, our rights are given to us naturally, given by God,” he said, adding that “applying these principles” is what keeps America from entering decline each generation.

There are many people who have started to notice that the Republican Party is trying to serve two masters here- Ayn Rand and the Bible. The problem is that Rand was a devout and vocal atheist as well as a sociopath. She cared only for what she could get, believed in totalitarianism, and that the rich deserved to get rich because anything that helped the poor was punishing the rich for their success.

Thirty years ago, President Ronald Reagan brought together a diverse coalition of people including Libertarians, Social Conservatives, Fiscal Conservatives, and War Hawks. That coalition is slowly crumbling because of the shifts in various positions within the different groups. Unfortunately, it is also creating problems as the Republicans are willing to drive the nation off a cliff in order to uphold the power that they have over their constituents. This means putting the national debt ceiling on the block to negotiate, cutting social services, increasing the military budget even though it is not needed, and pursuing a social agenda in defiance of the American people and the businesses that need them.

Comments

comments

23 Responses to Paul Ryan Pursued By Protester With Giant Bible

1. Mark Wickens

June 5, 2011 at 11:13 am

Where are all the comments from Michael Brown?

• Mark Wickens

June 5, 2011 at 11:15 am

Never mind. I see them now, but they were not appearing a minute ago.

2. Chiara Brown

June 4, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Yes, because anyone who disagrees with you is a Nazi or a sociopath, and you have diagnostic psychological insight into people who type 40-word comments on an internet forum. Get help.

• Michael R. Brown

June 5, 2011 at 1:39 am

The hate against Rand has been growing astoundingly of late. Maybe it’s because the left senses that what she predicted is coming to pass, and the means by which they get a sense of themselves – government entitlements – are crashing the economy?

3. Mark Wickens

June 4, 2011 at 12:27 pm

“ Rand was a devout and vocal atheist as a sociopath. She cared only for what she could get, believed in totalitarianism, and that the rich deserved to get rich because anything that helped the poor was punishing the rich for their success.”

Well, she was an atheist. What’s that, 1 out of 5? You shouldn’t rely on Alternet for your info.

To the rest of you with a real interest in Ayn Rand, I recommend reading The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged. Great books.

June 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Mr Wickens,

Just because you adore her doesn’t mean that you are right. I have researched Ms Rand, and my portrayal of her is spot on. You, on the other hand, might want to take those rose coloured glasses off.

• Chiara Brown

June 4, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Mark, these people are entirely happy to be truth-free and hate-filled. It’s sad, because they might actually get something positive out of Rand if their self-image wasn’t so invested in hatred of their imaginary version of her.

June 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I think what is hysterically funny about you guys supporting Rand is that I’m the one being completely and totally objective here while you sound like fan boys and girls going after the latest pop monstrosity.

I have read up on her. I know she was a sociopath dedicated to hurting and exploiting those around her, and that she was a horrible writer. I have tried to read her stuff, and it is painful to read for anyone who is not emotionally invested in her belief system. In fact, you both are showing yourselves to be sociopaths in her model. You have convinced yourselves of your correctness and anything that deviates from your belief in her God like stature is wrong even if what you are relying upon is not rooted in fact.

• Chiara Brown

June 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Yes, because anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot, a Nazi or a sociopath, and you are qualified to make psychological diagnoses of strangers based on a 40-word internet comment. Here’s a thought — maybe you’re not being totally objective, and maybe there’s something you aren’t really understanding about Rand, because you’ve already decided she’s the bad guy. I should know, because I used to hate her too, until I looked at her for what she is instead of what I thought she was. I know this is a useless comment, because if you’re willing to call people you don’t know Nazis and sociopaths, there’s no real discussion here.  Good luck making your way in the world if that’s how you choose to treat others.

June 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Chiara,

Ms Rand took advantage of everyone around her without caring about anyone else’s feelings or well being. She leeched off of others, and ultimately died rather pathetically leeching off of the system that she loathed because she did not have the courage to stand up for her convictions and starve to death rather than take social security.

No, Chiara, she was a sociopath. Her behavior is endemic of it. Now, I did not come to that conclusion until I looked at her objectively and figured out that this is what she was. You see, you have made assumptions about me rather than finding out that I research and I discover rather than jump on bandwagons. Simply put, as a person who believes in societies working together towards common goals rather than social darwinism, I reject Rand as nothing more than someone who hates society and all that we can accomplish together. Perhaps you should look into what she really stands for rather than just worshiping this real life Ebeneezer Scrooge.

Oh, and, Chiara, various religious groups are already attacking Ryan for his devotion to Rand because of what it does to the poor.

And, finally, I do not hate Rand. My emotional feelings towards her are neutral. I do not hate you. I am giving a strictly professional view of Ms Rand as a sociopath.

• Chiara Brown

June 5, 2011 at 1:15 am

Bridgette, your statements are loaded with misunderstandings and untruths about Rand, and about myself — worshipping Ayn Rand? Nothing could be further from the truth. I have spent over 13 years studying her and learning about her, from people who love her, from people who hate her, and people who are just interested in her as an human being and creator of a cultural phenomenon. I do know quite a bit about her that I didn’t get from a few websites telling me she was God, nor websites that tell me she is the incarnation of Evil. I have done quite a bit of thinking and trying to understand what she and her followers are all about, and though there is a lot I definitely don’t like, there is also some very important stuff there too, stuff that can actually help humans do better — the road there just isn’t the road we’re used to thinking of taking.

But I can see that you aren’t interested in hearing my or any other points of view, so I won’t spend my time sharing what I know. I wish you the best in whatever it is you are trying to accomplish here. You might do better if you actually discuss with others, instead of insisting that you know everything already, and that anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot or a sociopath.

June 5, 2011 at 10:52 am

I thought you weren’t going to talk to me again?

You see, unlike you or Michael or Mark, I spend a very long time learning. I absorb information and double check and triple checking it.

Oh, and, just so you three know- I’ve won this debate. Next time, check what arena you’re fighting in.

• Michael R. Brown

June 7, 2011 at 12:37 am

Bridgette – Wow, a self-declared debate winner. That’s rare on the Internet!

June 7, 2011 at 12:46 am

Michael,

Look at the top of the story and then look at my name. Do that again. And one more time.

Now, do you understand the fact that I have a nice button that says “I win”?

Just so you know and understand. I won because we are in a political arena and I got out the sound bites. You lost because you three kept posting lovely long posts trying to refute me. As I said, check the arena first.

BTW- You lose. Bye now.

• Doric Durruti

June 17, 2011 at 4:56 am

Bridgitte,
      This isn’t the year 2000. This isn’t Fox news. You’re not Bush Jr. and we’re not in Florida.

June 17, 2011 at 9:15 am

Doric,

I’m so glad you could read my last comment.

• Michael R. Brown

June 5, 2011 at 1:35 am

Bridgette -

Your comments about Ayn Rand veer bizarrely all over the place. Rand did not take “advantage of everyone around her,” etc. – certainly not any more than many other honored artistic creators, like Picasso or Vladimir Horowitz. There’s plenty of testimony from people who didn’t agree with her about her personal modesty, her dislike of being treated like a star, and her empathic behavior. Most of all, people felt highly alive around her – in part because of her deep insight into them. This has been attested to again and again. If you claim such knowledge of Rand, provide some citations. I’ll be happy to go cite to cite with you. No doubt she could be an ass, and worse. So is just about any famous person in their private life, because the fire and willpower that goes with fame demand it.

Among your other inaccuracies: she did not die pathetically, nor did she “leach.” She died with a substantial estate – NYT said >$500k in early 1980s dollars. Her conviction was *never* that anyone whose money had been taken should simply surrender it to the taker; she was forced to contribute an enormous amount, and she openly said she would recoup [some of] it, and said so before she reached age 65. This is what comes of copying garbage from the Internet rather than learning a subject sincerely.

Present your research that Rand was a sociopath, and present your credentials to diagnose a person you have never met. (Good luck on that.)

More errors: Rand was not a Social Darwinist. She did not “hate society.” She did not regard Scrooge as a good businessman (which he was not).

Some of those “various religious groups” are progressive, so they have a vested interest in painting Rand Paul’s budget – which hardly does anything to address the horrific entitlement bomb descending upon our economy thanks to Medicare and Social Security, among other awful programs.

Here’s the sad thing: you have no idea that the very system you advocate screws the poor, and when the government of the U.S. goes bankrupt, the poor will do very, very badly. And that is not compassionate. At all.

June 5, 2011 at 10:45 am

Michael,

If it were not for those who cultishly follow Rand’s sociopathic philosophy, the government would not be going bankrupt and the poor would be taken care of. You see, the problem is that you buy the stuff that those who adhere to her philosophy are selling rather than dealing with the real world.

BTW, one of those religious groups that is furious over the GOP’s adherence to her philosophy is that bastion of liberal progressivism- the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH.

• Michael R. Brown

June 5, 2011 at 1:42 am

Hysteria sounds accurate, at least.

Your claims about her are histrionic, inaccurate, and motivated by rancor. One need not support Rand to disagree with you – only the truth.

• Michael R. Brown

June 5, 2011 at 1:25 am

You might try spelling the name properly. Not the book title. And blabbering about “Mein Kampf” is a sure ticket to branding as ignorant. You actually think Rand and Hitler are in any way comparable? In what world do you live?

• Michael R. Brown

June 5, 2011 at 1:23 am

Bravo, Mark. The “Rand was a sociopath” is the latest evidence-free template accusation people are all echoing. It all comes from a chopped-up excerpting of a few pages of her personal journals when she was barely out of her teens. The ignorance – and fear/hate reaction – about Rand is really astounding.

4. mark

June 4, 2011 at 11:14 am

Oh please. Economic justice in the bible! What hogwash. Greed and covetousness may be a sin, but somehow this young man thinks our generosity is supposed to be manifested in taxes.

Christ’s kingdom is not of this world! He did not come to bring prosperity or economic or social justice or any such earthly ideal.

June 4, 2011 at 11:39 am

I think you need to reread the Bible, Mark. If Christ had been alive today, he would have been labeled a socialist by Glenn Beck almost instantly.