BlizzCon’s Anti-Gay Closing Ceremony Rant Causes Major Controversy

Not Jack Black

The Level 90 Epic Tauren Chieftain had a guest singer on during their musical warmup for the Foo Fighters. This guy, George “Corpseater” Fisher of the group Cannibal Corpse, went on a rather homophobic tirade praising the Horde and attacking the Alliance calling the players a number of anti-gay slurs and declaring that they should die.

GayGamer noted that:

The resulting outcry not only erupted in Blizzard’s forums, but has prompted GLAAD to initiate an outreach to Blizzard. Many are disturbed that a senior Blizzard employee endorsed a video saying that players of one faction should die – and still more are outraged that anti-gay speech was used in the promotional video, without regard for LGBT players and despite the fact that gay kids are killing themselves.

Blizzard is into spin mode on this claiming that it was a joke, but that may not be enough at this point. In fact, given their rather rocky relationship with the LGBT Community, including their rather tepid response to a question asked by the “BlizzCon Lesbian” Bree asking about LGBT representation in the game, one has to wonder if they do have a problem there. Right now, Blizzard rival BioWare is busy working hard on Star Wars: The Old Republic, which will include same-sex romance options in future content releases.

The censored version of the clip:

The uncensored version:

Comments

comments

9 Responses to BlizzCon’s Anti-Gay Closing Ceremony Rant Causes Major Controversy

1. nick

November 8, 2011 at 8:33 pm

@Bridgette P. LaVictoire

i would give up, you been playing for years and dont have a 85? and considering this gay slur, everyone needs to man the fuck up

November 8, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I have a lvl 85…a Shaman, in fact. My lvl 74 happens to just be my oldest.

2. Equality

November 8, 2011 at 11:34 am

The largest idiot could see that this article is clearly a spin on the events that occurred. Policing of behavior and words is exactly what the LGBT community should be against. This attitude will only cause what you are trying to prevent. To be widely accepted by all, be modest, be secure and live life how you want to. This guy obviously didn’t say “Gays must die”. He used common modern slang to display his passion for the subject. Watch George Carlin’s 7 dirty words and live life in peace.

November 8, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Actually, this was a pretty much straight up report on this. Morhaime issued an apology, btw. Personally, I try not to let words have that kind of power over me.

3. Pingback: Snapshots of Our Work | LGBT Human Rights. Gay News, Entertainment, Travel

4. Jack

October 28, 2011 at 6:12 pm

It wasn’t a “homophobic rant” idiots. If people could report the truth instead of lies to complete an agenda, then there would be nothing to report. “Blizzards rocky relationship with LGBT?”. You guys are full of shit. Seriously. Stop being drama queens. And if you would notice, the official forums may have blown up, but most of the posts were from people defending blizz and corpsegrinder.

To make it fully clear, the video was edited at blizzcon. 15 seconds were played. And not one, single curse word could be heard. Corpsegrinder is pro gay marriage also. But I guess that doesn’t matter to a bunch of agenda filled drama mamas. Grow the fuck up.

October 28, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Jack,

I happen to be a long time player of World of Warcraft. I happen to know what the hell I am talking about. Morhaime has issued an apology, and to claim that it is us who have the problem, well, that does not cut it any more.

Here is the apology http://lezgetreal.com/2011/10/blizzard-president-apologizes-for-singers-anti-gay-rant-at-blizzcon/ Morhaime even makes it clear that he and his team were wrong to air that even heavily edited. So, you know something, suck it up bigot. Back in 2006, Blizzard was sued for threatening an LGBT friendly guild and their leader with being expelled from the game for recruiting. I know what the hell I am talking about…you obvious do not. BTW, being pro-gay marriage does not cut it. That’s called pandering. If he truly wants to prove that he’s pro-LGBT, then he’ll clean out his gods damned mouth next time.

Incidentally, my oldest character is my Rogue, who is currently lvl 74. My main toons are all between five and seven years old. I’ve been playing for a VERY long time.

• Dove

October 30, 2011 at 4:30 am

Gaslighting.

• Hey

May 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm

When did Corpsegrinder say he was in favor of gay marriage? That’s cool if he is, I can’t find it anywhere.