Hasbro Shutting Down My Little Pony Fan Sites and Episode Videos

Hasbro may be about to feel the wrath of the Bronies. Yes, that is right, the Bronies may be about to revolt, and it has something to do with the fact that Hasbro has decided to come down rather hard on one site that offered videos of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Last week, PonyArchive.org, which was based out of Sweden, had to go offline. The fan site offered free full episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It all began on 14 December 2011 when Hasbro sent them a take-down notice:

Dear Ponyarchive.org:

We are counsel for Hasbro, Inc. (“Hasbro”), the owner of the copyrights
and trademarks for the MY LITTLE PONY® line of toy ponies and related
cartoons and merchandise, including the MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS
MAGIC® animated television series. We recently became aware of your
website and the archive you created at
http://ponyarchive.org/seasons/s1.php and
http://ponyarchive.org/seasons/s2.php that makes numerous episodes of
the
MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC® show available in a variety of
ways,
including direct download, links to unlisted YouTube videos, BitTorrent
sites and links to tvrage.com.

As we are sure you are aware, each episode of the MY LITTLE PONY:
FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC® television series is the copyrighted property of
Hasbro. Your unauthorized copying, display and distribution of these
episodes, therefore, constitutes copyright infringement in violation of
U.S.C. § 501.

PonyArchive did not comply, and instead sent them back an email in response that read:

Thanks for your consern [sic]. Since we are merely spreading friendship and? magic we feel that we’re protected by princess Celestia herself. Also, we are not based in the US – so US law does not apply to us.

Please feel free to download the episodes from our website in order to
learn about accepting, friendship and happyness too.

Have a nice one :)

Hasbro was not happy about that, and after the second notice was sent on 20 December, PonyArchive relented and removed the content from the site…well, with the exception of the image posted on this story.

They also stated:.

Dear Celestia,

Today we learned that Hasbro, are no real bros. They are indeed proper wankers.

We were only trying to spread the word that friendship is magic, and then these twats came along with their fancy threat-letters.

Please, banish HasNObro to the hell-holes forever.

Yours truly
Pony Mc Archiveington

Not everyone was happy with how PonyArchive reacted. Gawker reports that some of the comments left about their actions included:

“Being a brony, I am ashamed to be associated with people that choose to answer in such an arrogant and self-entitled manner. It’s childish, that’s what it is. The last thing this fandom need are people like this.”

“Not cool, PonyArchive. You’re failing to love and tolerate the very people who introduced the love and tolerate rule. Shame…”

Hasbro has also been trying to scrub YouTube of every episode they can find. In fact, those videos which have been republished on LezGetReal via YouTube have been pulled. One of the biggest problems so far is the fact that there are no DVD’s available of the episodes, they cannot be purchased via iTunes, and cannot be watched on the official site. In other words, while Hasbro is busy trying very hard to eliminate the show in a pirated format, they have not done the wise thing and offered it in an official manner via, say, Hub, iTunes, or their own site.

Correction: The episodes are available for purchase through iTunes. I do, upon occasion, have difficulty with accessing iTunes, so I missed that.

Via Brony News

Via Gawker

Comments

comments

22 Responses to Hasbro Shutting Down My Little Pony Fan Sites and Episode Videos

1. littlebromat

February 19, 2013 at 4:32 pm

hasbro has made the biggest mistake ever by making twilight sparkle an alicorn, this might also mean the end of my little pony friendship is magic as we know it. we need to fix this now, hasbro has been corrupted and needs to be fix immediately for the good of ponykind.

February 19, 2013 at 4:35 pm

First of all, this isn’t the story that goes into that. Second, you just stated your opinion, and I’m not sure that I agree with you.

2. thebronyinblack

January 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Youtube is how i found how awesome the show is. Hasbro needs to realize that it draws in a ton of customers… if i could i would buy all seasons but until then im stuck with youtube. Hasbro dont do this to me now.

3. Fernando

October 10, 2012 at 10:45 pm

They are only taking down sites that link illegal downloads of the episodes and Youtube accounts that activate monotizations(when an account user garners revenue from ads before the video), both of which do indeed violate infringement rights, which doesn’t mean they’re penny pinching, they’re just enforcing their rights. They do indeed leave accounts on Youtube alone that show full episodes but DON’T make money off of it. THEY’RE GOOD GUYS PEOPLE, get informed…

4. Noah

August 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Hi, i think the reaction was a bit out of hand, but if hasbro has teached us anything its to spread freindship and i think hasbro is trying to take the very thing they created away from us. On my call i think we should keep everything where it is, cause if hasbro if going to try to keep pirated stuff of the internet just to get more views? They are killing there fanbase, well that just what i think.

Bronies unite!

5. ComeONGuys

August 17, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Hey, i hope hasbro know that they are killing there fan base.

6. Anders

August 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Dear Celestia
    Today we learned that Hasbro is some Brony hating cowerds that dont like Ponies!!!

7. Benjamin

April 3, 2012 at 4:11 am

one word hasbro….. NETFLIX!!!!

8. Unlimitedcat

January 21, 2012 at 1:17 am

Oh my gosh, I didn’t think it would come to this.

9. Manguy

January 6, 2012 at 7:16 pm

All the content belongs to Hasbro. They are free to do what they want with Pony Episodes.

• painful1

January 14, 2012 at 12:16 pm

While I do agree with you on that, there is always the line that separates the reasonable people from the asses. I believe hasbro may have crossed that line. While this is something that had to happen eventually, I don’t believe this is a good move for them at this time. When will the appropriate time be then? Well I believe it should happen when the toy sales are becoming too low for the continuation of the series and some profit, as they ARE NOT a nonprofit organization. So I believe hasbro is being money whores at this current time.

• Robert Roehm

February 7, 2012 at 5:16 am

It’s the cable and satellite network operators. They invest money into buying the Hub channel, then charge advertisers for time in commercial sections. If they allow to float freely these episodes of a show, which is in the programming of a channel they carry, the advertisers will not pay top dollar for those spots. So, these cable and satellite operators exercise their [b]pro tem[/b] powers. Pro tem allows them to file complaints on behalf of the copyright owners of a show that airs on their networks, regardless of the owners’ stance. Even if Hasbro has no position on the matter, these network operators still have to protect their livelihood. They can legally place Hasbro’s name on the complaint, as their licensing contract grants an extension of legal representation.

10. Delamay

January 4, 2012 at 8:34 am

Hasbro is probably shooting itself in the foot with this.

I don’t have a television or access to the tv version legally. If the MLP episodes weren’t available freely on youtube, I would not have discovered what the whole fuss was about.

Now, I watched the whole series so far and loved it! I follow it religiously, but being a student, I still hesitate to buy the whole show on itune. It’s a bit of money and I’m not sure it’s the smart thing to do. I’ll probably buy them eventually to support the show though.

Despite that, my relatives bought me 2 of the MLP figures this holiday as jokes. So Hasbro did make some money off me.

So in my opinion, by removing the youtube access to MLP shows, Hasbro will lose customers. I think it’s mostly the results of a company not being familiar with the new web market.

11. The_Arrmadillo

January 3, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Hasbro, why would you shut us down? All we have ever done is given you more business. If youre going to try and bring us down, we’ll show you. I swear that we will love and tolerate the whole world into a community so massive, that it will be too much for your money-driven minds to handle. I can confidently say that the brony community will resist. Wether it be through war or peace. (hopefully peace. Don’t want fox news getting up in our grill again.)

12. Church

January 3, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Hasbro is being penny wise and pound foolish here. The success of the show is largely *because* it was available freely online. They’ve sold a hell of a lot of toys, and even more licensed shirts, based on that. They need to remember that they’re a toy company and that the show is, ultimately, a commercial.

13. Digno224

January 3, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Even if they “try” to knock out all the youtube videos of it and channels that upload them, they won’t get em all. There’s TONS and I mean TONS of full episodes on YT. Hasbro can try though XD.

Also, what pony archive was illegal, outside the US or not. There’s one thing with recording the episodes yourself and posting them on YT, but it’s another thing when you copy them from itunes (from what i’ve read).

14. Anton Naymouse

January 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Okay, I’m very sorry but I just think this is all stupid. If people love the show so much, why don’t they even bother to SUPPORT THE GODDAMN THING?

Its simple, go on iTunes, buy an episode or two. Or save up enough for a season pass if you so want to, it’s not hard! As for people outside of the US doing this, well…I happen to be from the UK. I have an US iTunes account I use every so often, but I use it in a way that’s legal and makes sense. I pay with gift card codes I buy *myself* from online dealers. And I went to the trouble of getting a $50 one and buying an entire Season Pass. You get to download the episodes in brilliant HD and its directly going to the people who have helped the show become possible.

This just feels like people are ignoring common sense and going “AWWWWW, BUT I WANT TO COMMIT EXPLICIT PIRACY CRIMES TO ENJOY WHAT I LIKE”. If those same people complain if the show gets cancelled early due to lack of funds, they shouldn’t be surprised.

And don’t get me wrong, I love this show. Like I said, I personally went to the trouble of paying a full $50 to get the entire 2nd season. And getting each episode a day after original airing directly to my Mac too without lifting a finger! Its just people need to realize what goes into a show and what it depends on to keep going and how people are just…downright being ignorant about that and indadvertedly causing more danger to the fate of the show than the opposite. Blergh. xP

• Greg

January 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

While I agree with the points that you have brought foward, I do see it as trying to get more money from the end consumer, while stations may not be availible to watch it world wide on tv those that do are aloud to record it by PVR and can make their own seasons on DVD,which then selling it is illegal. Yes I agree to paying for something you want but if its not availible why should we be left in the dark?

15. Michael

January 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I was EXTREMELY dissapointed by Ponyarchive’s reaction, and I truly hope that Hasbro doesn’t assume the entire community is like that. Bronyville had a few things to say about it as well, and I’m hoping the majority of the community is with us.

16. Grey

January 3, 2012 at 11:50 am

The episodes are not available on iTunes outside of the United States, however, leaving us international folks left wanting.

January 3, 2012 at 11:55 am

Grey,

Thank you for letting me know that. Yes, Hasbro needs to take care of that, and they could make a bundle if they do it quickly.

• PF

February 12, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I just wish that some method OTHER than iTunes were available in the US. Direct download, DVD, anything but iTunes. I don’t like that I must patronize a business I do not support or believe in to support something I do enjoy.

Were I able to, say, log in to Amazon or a Hasbro site and download an episode for $X or a season for $XX, I would own each and every episode. If I could order a season disc set, I would also own all the episodes.

But I refuse to pay Apple an enormous cut for providing a “service” that I left long ago after becoming frustrated with it. Apple has nothing to do with the production of the show, and has as a business earned my distrust and distaste.