Trayvon Martin: Funeral, Revelations, Protests

Trayvon Martin

Today Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton said their final good-byes to their son at a Miami church. They are still looking for answers… and the list of questions is growing.

WFTV out of Orlando discovered earlier in the weekend that the shooter, George Zimmerman, had been arrested in 2005 for battery on a police officer and resisting arrest with violence. Until WFTV showed the court documents to the family, they had no idea that Zimmerman had an arrest record (the charges in 2005 were dropped, ‘why’ has not been reported). Trayvon’s mother was understandably stunned. “He was just a baby… my heart hurts… I don’t understand,” Sybrina Martin said.

Sybrina's Baby

So the question taken up by the neighbors of Brandy Green in Sanford Florida is ‘why have the police not arrested Mr. Zimmerman in light of his arrest record?’ Granted, according to the sheriff, Zimmerman is cooperating with the investigation, but they are not happy. A number of them gathered at the Sanford Police Station for two hours on Saturday, waiting to speak with someone who could answer that question. They were ignored. There’s nothing worse than ignoring a protester. Some in the group have contacted the Rev. Al Sharpton, now a commentator for MSNBC, asking that he apply pressure to the sheriff to at least arrest Zimmerman.

George Zimmerman 2005

My question is ‘how did this Seminole State College criminal justice major keep a concealed weapon permit with that arrest record?’ I would think that allowing an individual who has given them trouble in the past carry concealed is the last thing the local police would want.

The family did file a public records lawsuit Friday, seeking the release of the 911 tapes surrounding the incident, plus the tape of Zimmerman’s non-emergency call. The tape, if any, of Zimmerman’s call will answer the question of what, exactly, did the dispatcher tell him to do. They might even shed some light onto why he had been following Trayvon Martin in the first place.

The 600-pound gorilla in the middle of the room is race. Was Trayvon targeted because he was black? Is Zimmerman still free because he is white and the victim is a black kid from Miami? If the Rev. Sharpton gets involved, he will haul that 600-pound gorilla out of the shadows and put a microphone in its fist. The sheriff’s investigators might want to conclude their work with all deliberate speed.

Comments

comments

50 Responses to Trayvon Martin: Funeral, Revelations, Protests

1. MtVernonboi

August 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Don’t you all pay attention to that racist silly rabbit creep! He doesn’t understand what it’s like to be black in this society. He’s probably one of those stinkin white trailer trash. Trayvon Martin didn’t do a damn thing. He was just minding his own business and this fat over weight Zimmerman had to follow him and then shoot him.

2. R.i.paradise TRAYVON

March 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

Silly rabbit stfu! Dat piece of shit zimmerman didnt have any injuries of any kind! Trayvon 17 and 150 lbs zimmerman 28 and 250 lbs dats ah 100 pound differnce! Trayvon didnt brake his nose nor busted his head! Zimmerman preyd on trayvon and contiuned 2 follow trayvon! But even if they did get into ah fist fight dat dnt give zimmerman da rite 2 shoot and unarmed teenager whos carring skittles and and can of tea! zimmerman is ah coward and piece of shit of ah human being! And he will burn n hell!
    (((I AM TRAYVON MARTIN)))

3. xced

March 27, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Let me tell you something rabbit you aint real i will beat yo ass if i ever find out who you are…. but its okay….cause god gone deal with you and george zimmerman in his own way and time…..sometimes i wish i was there with trayvon so we could have beat that pork bastard down but it wasnt meant for me to even be there because..i am 17 and black my self and i were hoodies alll the time even in the summer but enough of me its about tray and the justice he deserves and we are going to get it no matter what(to the family we love yall and know god got each and everyone of you close to his heart)…sorry for the foul language but i am furiousand can hardly type this.. But what i am about to do is pray for tray family, other supporters and zimmerman because god has a raft that no man can stop…o yea next year when we graduate its for you and me but ima dedicated to you and all the others before i love you tray Rip my boy

• Sillyrabbit

March 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm

You believe in god, so that pretty much sums up your level of intelligence right there. But hey, that’s probably your parents’ fault.
      Stay out of trouble kid. Don’t get caught up in drugs, violence and robbery like Trayvon (in case you missed the latest news, he was busted with marijuana, stolen jewelry, and burglary tools). Just because you’re young and black doesn’t mean you have to fulfill the ignorant stereotype the mass media created for you.

4. jj

March 25, 2012 at 7:58 am

My heart cries for this baby, parents and family. I’m far from speechless. I feel the pain as if it were my son and I pray this doesn’t happen again. Mr. Zimmerman understands what he has done and now he is truly the neighborhood watch, no, nationwide watch, making sure nobody finds him. Where is justice? I have never believed in the death penalty, not even for the evil soul that took my brother’s life, but in this case, the justice department who is protecting this demon, should, themselves be put in an gas chamber and Zimmerman, well he should spend the rest of his miserable life in prison with the thought of what he did haunting every single night while he is being dealt with by inmates.

5. sosad

March 24, 2012 at 11:10 am

This is going to get worse…..zimmerman will get dealt with, whether he is in jail, or walking the streets of Florida….why hide now. Don’t be afraid for your life zimmerman…(like Trayvon was afraid for his)….only cowards hide, guilty ppl hide. If it was self defense….show your face….I pray for the Martins & even The Zimmermans…..that justice is rightly served & both families find peace….now all of the Dandorra P.D…..needs to be fired, especially the chief….#ijs

• sosad

March 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

Typo….SANFORD POLICE

6. Mae

March 24, 2012 at 9:49 am

This is directed to “SILLY RABBIT” -YOUR DUMB ASS WORDS–”I’m not trying to debate whether his action was right or wrong. I’m simply pointing out that he broke no law, hence there is nothing to charge him with.
    -neighborhood watches are legal
    -ignoring the advice of police is legal
    -concealing a firearm is legal
    -shooting in defense against a physical assault is legal(If this man would not have disobeyed 911 this shit would not have happend, he had no right to shoot anyone because he was out of line for fucking with that child that had the right to be in the neighborhood you dumb bitch, and that fucking shit was cold blooded murder no fucking self defense…witnessess said the boy was on the fucking ground now how the hell was it self defense he attacked this child and scuffed with him so obviously he will whatever yall say he had to defend himself—he attacked this young man to the ground so whats self defense about that BITCH)THE CHILD WAS MOST LIKELY FIGHTING FOR HIS LIFE BEGGING AND PLEADING, I HEARD THE 911 CALL FROM THE LADY THAT CALLED 911 OF WHERE THE CHILD WAS SHOT AND KILLED IN HER BACKYARD–so whats self defense about that BITCH?
    (Silly Rabbit said—Legally speaking, its a cut and dry case.”) Do you really believe Zimmerman broke no law? Zimmerman called 911 and was told DO NOT FOLLOW HIM so is that not breaking the law? on the other note obviously you are Zimmerman or someone related to this coward bitch–so this stated just personifies how ignorant your dumb ass sounds. This child was not a criminial o what but Zimmerman is…..and you stated physical assault you dumb bitch Martin can not tell his side of the story and obviously Zimmerman will state self defense because he most likely attacked this young man and scuffed him to the ground—a yea he will have shit to show a scuff– probably because MARTIN was running/fighting for his FUCKING LIFE and yes I would have fought back to fight for my life also. You do not know what the fuck you are talking about dumb as because you nor myself was there…Zimmerman bitch ass can easily say self defense well I tell you what where is his bad as NOW he best hide in a hole like a rat bitch that he is and if he was so innocent why the fuck is he not patroling the neighborhood now….o my whose walking through the neighborhood now with a hoodi on….Silly Rabbit let Zimmerman know cowards hide if he was a victim—WHY HIDE—CARMAL IS A BITCH AND WHAT GOES AROUND COMES BACK AROUND WORSE…..Robert Zimmerman created a fuck up in society and because Zimmerman came from a fucked-up sperm……..his pappy is a fuck-up also for saying his son did nothing wrong…wait until the tables are turned and they go through the same thing or worse lets see whose not wrong there….the Chief, Sanford Police, etc are just as guilty and personaly involved with the Zimmermans and that is my opinion so I am not breaking the law FREEDOM OF SPEECH

• Madazhell

March 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Shut the fuck up!!!!!! Talking crazy let it had been your child dumb ass Silly Rabbit…Would you still be talking like a fool…if it was one of my sons I would sell everything I have to fine his fat ass and hunt him down. It would be a jail or hole big enough to keep me from finding his fat ass (old mutt)!!! Give his ass the electric chair as seen on the moving Green Mile….leaving the sponge water off…Let him fry like the fat pork he is..lol Mad black women

• Sillyrabbit

March 26, 2012 at 1:45 pm

It’s hilarious how many people seem to be against murder in one sentence and then speak of murdering someone in the next. How uncivilized.

7. nette

March 22, 2012 at 10:57 pm

It is a shame that Zimmerman is free, and hiding. You better hide you old DOG. You will reap what you sow. How will he feel if someone KIlls his child to show him how it feels to be without your child. God has your number Zimmerman!

8. Nancy

March 21, 2012 at 10:57 pm

It’s cool to me to read this comment, written on the 12th, which was several days before me this white woman heard the story. It’s cool to me that I read it tonight while I’m berating myself for not being in bed…. because….

tomorrow I will work from 8-5 and then go to Sanford which is a two hour drive from here…

I’m despondent that more white voices haven’t chimed in on this issue since, although it certainly has racist overtones, it’s a universal issue of … well… of do we want our world to be safe enough where our teenaged sons can go to 7-11 for candy and walk home and be safe.

(Ummmm…. and just so you know, I don’t think ANY of the airport security measures that have been put in place since the infamous 9/11 have contributed to our sons’ security.)

9. big e

March 21, 2012 at 6:57 pm

This racist bastard was looking for any excuse he could find to do this. If u listen to his call he tried his best to make this kid look like sum thug that was up to no good. I hope to God that they lock his ass up in prison and no 1 kills him ,but that the inmates torture his ass till he kills himself. I CANT BELIEVE YHIS TYPE OS CRAP IS STILL IN EXISTENCES TODAY burn in hell u low life bastard . I,M SO SORRY FOR TRAYVONS FAMILY IFEEL LIKE I LOST ONE OF MY SONS gOD PLS BE KIND TO TRAYVON and his family n bless them n comfort them is my prayer.

10. winny19

March 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm

has he been arrested yet. sorry to say racism is still strong as it was during slavery and the law is protecting this guy. this boy is dead. he will not be a father, brother, son, grandfater, uncle, he will not vote, he womt graduate from high school, and this fool is walking around, and the police officers are as racist as the guy that shot the boy. i am the mother of two black men so that mean to me that a bithch harm a hair on the head on head of my black prince i will assure them that the will not have to worry about a arrest, jail , anything just my ass firing a nice crispy bullet right between their racist eyes.

11. Ken

March 20, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Mr. Zimmerman appeared to be a cold-blood killer, a coward to me, abviously. He should have been arrested for crime that he committed.

12. Marvs

March 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm

O kay,Life doesnt mean anything to these people.Its obvious.One thing i have to tell you.god sits on his throne analizing everything .please for your sakes make it right.you can hide from man but not from god.Zimmerman put ur ass at the presinct and turn your ass in .you ding dong.

13. Renee

March 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I cannot find the words to acutally explain what I feel about this. I have two young boys myself and this just breaks my heart to know that your color can get you killed. I guess what many people need to realize is that any neighborhood is for anyone that can afford to live there. Zimmerman had no business approaching the man. How do we not know that Zimmerman did not hurt himself make it appear that Trayvon attacked him. Are there security camera in use? I certaintly hope that justice is served, but in my heart I feel like Zimmerman will walk away free. Zimmerman probably thinks that since his charges from assulating a police office were dropped, surely killing a black man will be nothing to beat. Cry Self Defense.
    Why did he lie, stating he was calling for help, semms like someone wouold have heard him, they heard the gun shots and Trayvon yelling for help.
    Justice System, please wake up. Time and Time again, situations like this prove that the Justice system does not work for EVERYONE. Sometimes, it is so hard to not pull the race card, but i beleive in calling it as I see it.

• ladyc

September 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm

i feel the way you do with all the cases he was accused of from assaulting an officer, lying about him being a law enforcer, and taking criminal justice, and him and his wife lying to the judicial system about the amount of moniterial donations he recieved he is nothing but an habitual liar so im no more than certain that he pound himself in the back of the head by pounding his head to the ground repetitively and taking his fist to his nose or pounding his face to the ground or if not pounding himself to Trayvon’s body i dont trust this man at all and most definitely i believe he was racially profiling this young man and without thinking he wanted to take the law in his own hands and that he did he over judged the situation and had to come up with what he thought was a way out hurt himself and lie and say he scuffled with the victim and he became hurt i dont buy this for a minute this man looks racial, and his actions has proven that. i am digusted with the justice system passing laws to benefit them but none to protect us as though GOD only made the world for one race so i refuse to sit down and be quiet im praying for Trayvons family and i know Gods will shall prevail AMEN!

14. bryan fullerton

March 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

First of all SILLYRABBIT..the records show he wasnt registered to be part of anybodys neighborhood watch, second they informed him to not purse the kid & third since when is it LEGAL to shoot an innocent kid in the chest, since u stated he did nothing ILLEGAL, you are a jack ass….you & him need to rot in hell!!!

15. KMBA

March 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

This is an outrage!!!!! Silly rabbit I will pray for you……You are pathetic! May the Lord have mercy on the soul of George Zimmerman. Out of the mouth the heart speaks…George Zimmerman made it clear that he is a racist who believed that young black males are trouble makers and useless to society. In his words “These a**holes always get away. It couldn’t be any clearer…….George Zimmerman is a murderer and justice shall prevail for the life of Trayvon Martin!
    My prayers go out to his broken hearted family. My prayers go out to black males all over the world, including the ones that I educate on a daily basis. What would Martin L. King Jr say about this….more importantly….what does Jesus say about this? Vengence is mine says the Lord! Like I mentioned above….May the Lord have MERCY on the soul of George Zimmerman. Mr. Zimmerman, you are the one that we should feel sorry for…afterall, you have the blood of an innocent child on your stubby little hands! Your concious will most likely eat you alive!!!!!!!!
    God you Zimmerman and God help ignaorant folks like Silly Rabbit!

16. Bashkurt

March 20, 2012 at 6:21 am

What a great tragedy to lose such angel boy!

17. Big D

March 20, 2012 at 5:20 am

It is a shame I feel that Zimmerman needs rough justice

18. Steve

March 20, 2012 at 2:22 am

I am a white male living in Australia and this event has just mad me so angry, I am appalled, disgusted, it makes me sick that this can happen. I can honestly say that there is no words that can describe my feelings in this matter, A laymen, non deputized, trained man with a guy shoot and took this life for in my eyes no valid reason, I just can not understand in anyway this wanton destruction of not only Trayvons life but now that of his family and friends and all futre people who Trayvon’s life would have crossed in the future. If this man “George Zimmerman” is not investigated at the very least in an open and honest police investigation and well in my mind let the “12 men tired and true” of a jury decide his innocence or guilt. As much as I do beleive in inocent until proven guilty it should be tested in the appropriate arena and not by newspapers. I can not see a man of Gerge Zimmermans stature (size) could not have found a better way to deal with what ever the circumstances. Zimmerman may have made a terrible mistake but either way what ever the reason a life has been cut wantonly short for no reason and Zimmerman must face this. if only I could bring Trayvon’ back to life I would, I would even give him my life in exchange but I can’t. So my heart goes out to Trayvon’s family and as much as I am half way around the world Trayvon is never far from my thoughts as are the family> I wish with all my heart I was there to stand and protest with the family and friends of Trayvon as I notice a distinct lack of white people standing by the family in this protest and as much as I am sure not every white American thinks the same its about time they stand up and be heard. I hope Trayvon’s family see this and know there is so many people around the world that are here for them.

19. Janet623

March 20, 2012 at 1:51 am

SOME ONE SHOULD HUNT RABBITS! THEY ARE VERY TASTY!

20. regina

March 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Trayvon Martin is just another victim of a person that obviously has some deep seated issues. He was just coming back from a trip to a store, and probably got confused about where his home was. He was from out of town, and may have wanted to ask this person for directions. For the police dept. to try to cover up or withhold 911 tapes, and change witness statements, is absolutely unforgivable!!!The police chief has to make a decision yesterday, before another “neighbor watch person ” with a gun decides to “stand his ground”, and another innocent person is gunned down!!!!!

• Janet623

March 20, 2012 at 1:47 am

LISTEN TO THE TAPES. HE STARTED RUNNING FROM THIS MAN WHEN HE SAW HIM FOLLOWING HIM IN HIS SUV. HE WAS ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS OR LOST HE WAS RUNNING! THE MAN JUMPED OUT OF THE TRUCK AND CHASED HIM. WHILE THIS BABY WAS SCREAMING HELP HE SHOT HIM IN THE CHEST. HE DIED 70 FEET AWAY FROM HIS DAD’S HOUSE. LISTEN TO THE TAPES, YOU CAN HEAR IT FOR YOURSELF!

21. David

March 16, 2012 at 8:19 am

That kid did nothing wrong to deserve nothing wrong to be murdered by a maniac.

22. Sillyrabbit

March 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm

No. It’s still self-defense even when you provoke a situation. The law claims that nobody has the right to physically assault another, no matter the provocation, unless it is in defense of life. It may not fit these circumstances perfectly, but that is the law across every state in the nation.

• zaidi

March 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm

You’re a silly racist.

• Janet623

March 20, 2012 at 1:37 am

How the hell is it self defense when you jump your fat azz out of your SUV and run someone down and shoot them while they cry for help?! He was in no danger he ran theis baby down and killed him in cold blood. He chased him and killed him! if he is not given first degree murder Florida will burn.

• charlene

August 28, 2012 at 10:45 am

That’s not true cause State I’m from we don’t have a stand ur ground, ur ass going to jail, even if u hit some in a accident and no DUI u can be clean u going to be accountable for the other person life. I’m still trying to understand the stand ur ground law, I’m following reading about stand ur ground law, I guess by we don’t have it new to me, I did see Zimmerson interview and he’s digging a hole for his self with story not adding up with what he told police on Feb, 26.

23. nana p

March 14, 2012 at 11:11 pm

It is a sad day when because of the color of your skin you’re thought of as a threat! A sad day indeed. But it is the way it is!! COLOR speaks loud and louder still as Zimmerman, the NWM with the guy is still free and the WHITE Police Chief still doesn’t arrest him….He had grass on his shirt? He was bleeding from the nose and head? Well does it take a rocket scientist to figure this out? Zimmerman saw a BLACK kid in a gated neighborhood of approx 300 homes; he sees the black man wearing a hoodie; (mind you it’s raining); and of course because of the color of his skin ASSUMES that he can’t be living there at this gated community? Didn’t he hear the answer the kid gave him? I’m going home to Dad? NO oh YEAH he heard but because he’s the big bad-don with the gun he decided he’ll show him just who Zimmerman is. Yes he was bleeding and had grass on his shirt because he went against the Police orders and got out to confront Trayvon and when he’s getting his butt whooped he pulls the gun and shoots him? That’s what he did and now because of a law in Florida he claims self-defence? He’s a WHITE coward. He’s a WHITE thug. To the family; whilst no words can easy your pain and anger; nor return your beautiful son know this:- What goes around comes around! Pray for justice. Picket for justice. Call your President. Call Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Call Maxine Waters. Call ALL your senators and reps and push for justice!! The country actually the world is behind you. Set up an account to honor your son thru a scholarship to flying school and you’ll see just how much we are behind you. And push until you get justice. Push for justice for Trayvon. RIP Trayvon. RIP with Jesus. May this help to heal the division of black and white.

• Sillyrabbit

March 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Zimmerman is hispanic, not white. So this is a Brown vs Brown crime… which pretty much negates the sensational racial angle. You assume Zimmerman thought he was a theif because he was black and in a hoodie. Zimmerman claims it is because he saw him scaling fences going between yards. The Sentinel released a map of where the shooting took place, and it can be seen that Martin had not been travelling via the sidewalks, but had cut a straight line through about ten homes’ backyards.

24. Sillyrabbit

March 13, 2012 at 10:30 pm

-neighborhood watches are legal
    -ignoring the advice of police is legal
    -concealing a firearm is legal
    -shooting in defense against a physical assault is legal

Legally speaking, its a cut and dry case.

• Elmerfudd

March 13, 2012 at 11:17 pm

LOL, we shall see when he is charged with murder.

• 415diva

March 15, 2012 at 5:13 pm

It’s only self-defense when you don’t provoke the incident; from what’s being reported, that isn’t the case w/Zimmerman. I hope that the State Attorney has enough sense to charge this moron, but if not, it’s time for the FBI to step in & take charge…ZIMMERMAN IS NOT INNOCENT.

• Janet623

March 20, 2012 at 1:41 am

Dont post anything else! He chased he shot. He looked theis boy in the face as he cried for help and shot him in the chest. THAT IS NOT LEGAL AND I SEE WHY U R THE SILLY RABBIT! THIS IS ONE TIME FLORIDA BETTER EXECUTE THIS MAN AND BY THE WAY HISPANICS ARE NOT NAMED ZIMMERMAN! NOW SHUT UP!

• Stella

March 21, 2012 at 1:21 am

Sillyrabbit you are an IDIOT.

Neighborhood watch want to be cops ARE NOT allowed to carry guns.
      Ignoring the advice of the police IS NOT legal. (Point your gun at a cop when he tells you to drop it and see what happens to your dumb azz.)
      Concealing a gun if you have no permit for it IS NOT legal.
      Shooting someone carrying a bag of Skittles and Ice Tea IS NOT legal.
      Oh, and as a lawyer speaking on behalf of all sane people,legally speaking, IT IS NOT CUT AND DRY. ITS CALLED MURDER.

• Mae

March 24, 2012 at 10:00 am

I am sure the child was going through yards dummy to get away from the NUTCASE following him there is no telling what Zimmerman was yelling at him SILLY RABBIT what the hell is wrong with you. Zimmerman or tell Zimmerman that he need to come from hiding he’s a bad asss just walk around with his gun no ones going to bother him hes protected by the law and no he is not whit but obviously he is a racist it doesnt matter —it still do not justify killing this child—if he was bloody and had grass on his cloths this child was not on his property 911 said DO NOT FOLLOW the 911 tapes clearly say this child was no threat to that coward—-this was not self defense THE CHILD WAS PLEADING AND BEGGING FOR HIS LIFE—listen to the 911 tapes that the Chief and other crooks of the Sanford Police tried to conceal….also the witnesses spoke up and the criminal in this matter IS YOU–ZIMMERMAN(Silly Rabbit) so take time to review 911 and witnesses and see if Zimmerman can justify shooting this child with skittles and ice tea o I forgot he was talking to his girlfriend on the phone when THE BIG BAD WOLF starting harrassing him….now that is against the law—Neighborhood watch (what a laugh)

25. Sillyrabbit

March 13, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I agree Elmer. It was dumb for Zimmerman to be so nosey, but hey that’s what neighborhood watches are for. Neighbors know they’ll be pissing people off when they institute the program. So yes, Zimmerman may be guilty of being obnoxious, but shooting an attacker in self-defense is still no crime.

• Elmerfudd

March 13, 2012 at 10:05 pm

No, Zimmerman went beyond being reasonable. I’m a nosey neighbor myself. I know my neighbors, I know who belongs and who doesn’t. Considering the size of the subdivision, I think it has close to 300 homes, it would be impossible for Zimmerman to know everyone to that level. I don’t think most reasonable people mind an active Watch program but I do think they mind vigilantism, after-all that defeats the purpose of a Watch program. If I saw someone suspicious on or near my property I’d call the police. I grew up in a house hold with many firearms and I’m no stranger to knowing my way around a rifle, handgun and shotgun. I still wouldn’t feel vigilant enough to drive around the neighborhood on patrol with a weapon. Zimmerman agitated this issue, all he had to do was follow the instructions and let the trained professionals do their jobs. He didn’t and Trayvon Martin ended up dead because of it. Trayvon asked Zimmerman “What’s your problem” and Zimmerman, aware of his firearm, decided to confront Trayvon by exiting his vehicle. I’ve heard that he also said on record “They always get away”, I’m not sure if it’s true, but if it is, this man had a vendetta and Trayvon became a part of that vendetta because he was black, had on a hoodie and was a stranger to Zimmerman. Afterall, this took place at or around 7:15PM on a Sunday. I’m not sure where you live, but that’s around sunset and on a Sunday evening, especially in a subdivision, most families are active around that time. How or why would someone commit a property crime around dusk and at such an active time? It makes no sense. Zimmerman’s self-defense claim fails because he agitated the situation. I’ve read the Florida Statute and it doesn’t seem to fit this case with the information that is currently available. It seems that Zimmerman was on his back getting beat up AFTER the fact. If you confront me and I end up beating you up, you can’t claim self-defense.

• Curious

March 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm

What attack was Zimmerman defending? You need to get that law book back out, and try again.
      Zimmerman followed this kid down the street, ignored the warnings of the police dispatcher to stop pursuing Trayvon, and provoked a confrontation with the kid. The confrontation was created by Zimmerman pursuing Trayvon. This kid was absolutely blindsided on the street, and he did’n’t know why he was being attacked or why he was being murdered.
      It is a crime to be on “neighborhood watch” and attack people. He should have sat his fat self in his car, and waited there until police got there. He didn’t feel threatened. IF he did, he could have driven away to “safety” until police arrived.
      I’m a lawyer, and former prosecutor, and I’m completely saddened and disgusted with this case. When I, unexpectedly, heard the audiotapes of the police dispatch calls with this poor kid screaming out for help, my heart just sank. My prayers are with his family.

• zaidi

March 19, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I guess you were there, right? Shoot a black kid first, then ask questions later.

• Janet623

March 20, 2012 at 1:42 am

WHAT ATTACKER FOOL?! HE WAS RUNNING WITH A DRINK AND SKITTLES! I DONT KNOW YOU BUT I HATE YOU AND YOUR KIND!

26. Sillyrabbit

March 13, 2012 at 5:58 am

It’s a sad case to be sure, but it’s best to wait for all the facts to come in before weighing a judgement here. I notice that many news outlets are running a sensatonal bare-bones version of the story like this one.
    It is worth mentioning that according to the police, Zimmerman had a broken nose and defensive wounds, clothing tears, and his back had mud and grass. Martin’s fists had Zimmerman’s blood on them. The evidence (for now at least) backs up Zimmerman’s assertion that Martin assaulted him when he tried to speak to him.
    This particular article seems a bit slanted by leaving out pertinent info, especially using childhood photos of the slain man. Also worth noting is that several Florida papers have labelled Zimmerman as hispanic, not white… But of course it’s unconscionable to suggest that the media might tweak the facts to sensationalize/racially-arm the story to sell more papers, right?

• Elmerfudd

March 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Well Silly Rabbit, while these details are important, they still aren’t the reason this young man died. While the fight between the two men is important. It is Zimmerman who is at fault. He was told by police to not intervene and when asked by Trayvon “What is your problem” felt it appropriate to remove himself from the safety of his vehicle to confront a “suspicious” person. He wouldn’t have had a need to defend himself had he did was he was instructed to do. While it’s convenient for you to attempt at placing the blame on the minor, Trayvon, it was still up to Zimmerman, the 10 year older adult to have more discernment. As far as your accusations of using “childhood” photos of Trayvon, these are current photos of this young man. While I’m sure you’d like to portray him as a menacing black man, that isn’t the case.

27. zaidi

March 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm

The “justice” that the racist Zimmerman is now getting from his fellow-racist police chief is not the “justice” Trayvon Martin got from Zimmerman. What is outrageous is that this police chief is putting the burden of proof on Trayvon’s grieving parents to prove that their 17 year unarmed son did not earn his execution from the hands of a cold blooded, racist killer who perceived the color of their son’s skin as suspect! If you’ve watched the video of the police chief’s news conference, you can see that he is bending over backwards to make sure Racist Zimmerson get every benefit of doubt, and be damned the grieving parents, or every black parent’s worry that their child may be next!!!

28. FigE

March 12, 2012 at 5:35 pm

A few moments ago I read from the Orlando Sentinel that Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee said this afternoon; 3/12/12, that his investigators don’t have probably cause to arrest the man who shot and killed Trayvon last month.

“In this case, Mr. Zimmerman has made the statement of self- defense,” Lee told a crowd of reporters and Trayvon’s family members and thier supporters. “Until we can establish probable cause to dispute that, we don’t have the grounds to arrest him.”

I can’t for the life of me begin to express how totally upset this is to hear. I’m not related to this young man, nor am I black, but I am a mother and can’t imagine what she & Trayvon’s dad must be going through. This man Zimmerman, who volunteered as a NWM & I’m sure collaborated with the police, must have had some Rules & Guidelines to follow. Yet, called 911 because he deemed this young man “suspicious?” Wouldn’t that send a clear message his job was done? Watch & report? Why get in your car and follow the suspicious individual if he may be “dangerous?”

It clearly is a case of stereotyping and labeling. And I never knew a volunteer Neighborhood Watch Man with no testing/authorization/ or evaluations can play make believe police officer in the State of Florida. And when he can’t handle what it is he’s started shoots and kills someone’s kid. Is he related to anyone in this police department? Because it seems suspicious to me a volunteer can take on that role of PO and not be found guilty of anything. Absurd. My condolences to the family as well. Also, if this man is not charged or convicted of anything I hope this family goes ahead and sue. Sue the stereotype out of every single person who couldn’t find probable cause to have this man arrested. Sue, sue, then knock yourself sue again. No amount will bring back your son but at least everyone will remember his name and know he did not die in vain.

• Janet623

March 20, 2012 at 1:44 am

THIS IS THE DIRTY SOUTH! BE CAREFUL WHILE LIVING BLACK!

29. John

March 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I am outraged and disgusted that this person has not been charged with anything yet!
    As a white guy it is very easy to see the racism behind this?
    Really if Zimmerman did not have a gun I beige the late Mr. Martin would be the one currently facing charge for kicking Zimmerman’s ass?
    they would have not wasted any time arresting and filling assault charges against this young man?
    Now because of some over zealous watch captain a family is without their loved one.
    For doing nothing but being a kid!
    How in any way was this kid a threat to this guy in his car/truck armed with a gun?
    All the while the police were on the way.
    I’m certain that if Zimmerman had asked the kid with an ounce of respect as a human being he would have had the answers he needed and clarification of the situation.
    Instead this clown chose to confront the young kid and intimately kill him in cold blood as there is no way his life could have been in such imminent peril.
    May Trayvon rest in peace and condolences to his family.
    Justice needs to be served in this case!