New Ex-Gay Therapy Group Seeks To Replace Exodus International

Since Alan Chambers has finally come to grips with the fact that the vast majority of lesbians and gays are never going to change their orientation- including himself, the anti-gay groups have been up in arms. In fact they are furious over the fact that this has happened. After all, they believe that, if you pray hard enough, you can be ‘cured’ of being gay. So, of course, when a new group showed up trying to cash in on the same failed snake oil, Peter LaBarbera is thrilled.

The head of Americans for ‘Truth’ About Homosexuality wrote:

Americans For Truth is excited to hear about the formation of this Christian ”ex-gay” alternative to Exodus International, which has lost the trust of many pro-family advocates and Christian leaders due to the perceived unbiblical and erroneous statements by Exodus leader Alan Chambers. See this paper by Bible-and-homosexuality expert and Pittsburgh Theological Seminary Prof. Robert Gagnon as the best critique of Chambers’ liberal tilt. Also see former homosexual DL Foster’s blog, Gay Christian Movement Watch. We will have more on the Exodus and Chambers controversy in future posts.

He also posted this:

Restored Hope Network (RHN) has recently been formed by leaders from throughout North America who seek to minister to homosexuals and other sexually broken individuals according to the historic doctrines of the Christian faith. We seek to be honest about the need for repentance in the life of believer and nonbeliever alike and we seek to communicate the many ways that God brings about real and lasting change in the life of anyone who turns to Him and allows Him to take them through a life-transforming process.

One of RHN’s founding leaders is Frank Worthen, who was the key figure in the founding of Exodus International in 1973. Of this new network, Frank writes:

“I am feeling inexpressible joy that the Lord has brought together a group of people who will not allow the message of hope and change to die in a sea of misguided social/cultural relevance. Restored Hope Network will now carry the torch of freedom from the sin and degradation of homosexuality and the transforming power of Jesus Christ.”

Restored Hope Network states that they are “a membership governed network dedicated to restoring hope to those broken by sexual and relational sin, especially those impacted by homosexuality. We proclaim that Jesus Christ has life-changing power for all who submit to Christ as Lord; we also seek to equip His church to impart that transformation.”

While there are some who have been ‘cured’ of being lesbian or gay, typically these individuals were closer to bisexual than lesbian or gay, and they usually came to grips with that by not going to one of these ex-gay ministers. The failure rate for most of these ex-gay therapies is close to 100% according to a large number of studies. Most of the time, what happens is that an individual can divert or sublimate their natural desires withouth ever actually being ‘cured’.

Comments

comments

15 Responses to New Ex-Gay Therapy Group Seeks To Replace Exodus International

1. billywingartenson

September 24, 2012 at 1:48 am

these anit gay – fix tghe gay people remind me of a saying

the anus never stops pooping until its dead

2. billywingartenson

September 24, 2012 at 1:43 am

truth – to these fakers its the old idea from Goebbels – if you tell lies often enough and outrageous enough, they will be seen as the truth.

Expect more and more desperate BS as the fix the gays biz is further exposed as nothng but an way to extract money from terrified by homophobia parents of gay kids.

Money that feeds right wing hate groups.

3. Patrick Fitzgerald

September 15, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Good one, Dave.

4. victim

September 8, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Growing up in a Christian environment, I spent 20 years battling my own gayness. Paid bogus ministers thousands of dollars for the hope that I might some time be “normal” as others are. One pastor who claimed to be able to minister healing to me led me into a 5-year counselling relationship, during which he talked me into taking my clothes off for him as part of the therapy ritual. This pentecostal minister was the worst and the best part of my previous life trying to become ex-gay. He was the worst because he was spiritually and sexually abusive, leading me to believe that I was demonised and perverse, all the while employing manipulative tactics to prevent me from ending the relationship. It was the best part because his abuse finally led me to realize that I don’t need to change to be a person of faith. It was painful trying to undo the harm that he did but today I’m a much happier gay man in a wonderful relationship with my partner, my parents, myself, and with God.

5. Pingback: The Restored Hope Network: Picking Up Snake Oil Sales Where Exodus Left Off | Jessica Sideways.com

6. Peter Carr

August 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm

The presbyterian sunday school teacher in the Yukon on Wheeler Street in about 1955-1996 told me, 7 years old, not to return to sunday until I had memorized the 23 Palm. I had memory problems, learning problems, failed grade 1. So I could not memorize and couldn’t return to sunday school.

If you have ever talked to a gay male who has had a very religious upbringing, they are the sadest, and most confused person.

I tried to look up the names of Adam and Eve’s children and the Bible said that somebody had lots of boy and some girls and lived 600 years or something.

You can look at women but don’t touch them and you can look at men but don’t touch them. You can say you are straight and will only have sex after marriage. You can marry any woman beause there is a huge planet called earth that is full of billions of woman who want to marry a virgin and produce lots of babies.

I have seen lots of documentaries about ex gay experiences. If there was a way to not be gay, then the person who discovered how it can be done would be more famous than God and 10 times richer than the Apple company.

August 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Peter,

Thank you for posting this. I have always counted myself lucky that I came from a family that wasn’t overly religious- spiritual, yes- but not very religious. I also have learning disabilities and I found that they can be a blessing. I learned to think instead of memorize. I certainly hope that you’ve found blessings in your life to make up for that horrible teacher.

7. Dave

August 27, 2012 at 5:43 pm

There is no cure for homosexuality. But there is for religion. The cure for religion is called ‘thinking’.

• billywingartenson

September 24, 2012 at 1:45 am

andnot giving these fakers a cent.

The only time I ever went into a cath church – I was desperate to use the potty

8. John Desalvio

August 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Americans for Truth?

Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha!
    HAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA!! HEEE HEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Truth is, they prey- uh, pray hard enough so they don’t keep getting hard.

• billywingartenson

September 24, 2012 at 1:46 am

see my other comment about if you tell a lie often enough etc (Goebbels)

9. Chuck Anziulewicz

August 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm

The Restored Hope Network sounds to me like little more than another fundraising tool, a solution in search of a problem. Watch it sink into irrelevancy in short order.

10. Jal Marie

August 27, 2012 at 11:12 am

And people wonder why I hate religion so much.

11. Raytheist

August 27, 2012 at 7:20 am

“After all, they believe that, if you pray hard enough, you can be ‘cured’ of being gay.” –

Yes, the “ex-gay” movement wants more than anything to convince gay people that they CAN change, but where do they get off thinking they have the right to tell us we SHOULD change? There is no rational reason to think there is anything wrong with being gay, so why should we change?

12. Eric

August 26, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Why doesn’t our gay press drum home more the fact that these anti-gay organizations are very often non-profits, in which participants are making pay checks for greater than they would or could normally? It’s called hate for pay. I just don’t see mention of this enough in the mainstream press and it’s something heterosexual readers should be made aware of. Hate groups like the FRC and the so-called Americans for Truth are making enormous amount of cash off gay people’s misery. Emotional misery, suicides, trying to “change” us…how long will these groups be allowed to profit off us, depleting us of a chance at a life??