Okay folks, this is getting real. Tropical cyclone Sandy has regained hurricane strength and status after devastating Cuba and the Bahamas and heading back out over open water. It is forecast to move north (10 mph at this time, but expected to gain speed) over open ocean until making U.S. landfall Monday night or Tuesday. NOAA predicts it could affect the eastern third of the U.S.
The Navy has ordered ALL ships out of Norfolk VA to ride out the storm at sea.
IF YOU LIVE ON THE EAST COAST OR IN NEW ENGLAND, IT IS TIME TO GET PREPARED!
1. Stock up on food, water and batteries
2. Make sure you have a week’s supply of any medications you need
3. Police the area around your home and clear/tie down/bring indoors anything that can become flying debris
4. If you are in an area prone to flooding, consider moving to higher ground or at least do whatever you have to to protect your home and family – don’t forget pets or farm animals
5. Keep your eyes and ears open to what your local disaster center is advising
6. If you can, vote early – don’t let this storm keep your voice from being heard!
STAY SAFE, STAY INFORMED!
The following maps are courtesy of the Weather Channel website.