Rebutting The Argument Against Same-Gender Romance In Star Wars: TOR

Human Agent From Bioware/EA Games’ Star Wars: The Old Republic

There is a particular argument usually leveled against those arguing for same-gender romances in Star Wars: The Old Republic, and that has to do with the fact that there aren’t any gays in Star Wars. Well, in all honesty, there aren’t a lot of women either. Think about it. How many women are actually named in Star Wars? Queen Amadala, Princess Leia, Mon Mothma, Aunt Beru, and maybe one or two others. So, quite frankly, if this is an indication of the dearth of women in the universe by the time the Battle of Yavin rolls around, the universe is pretty screwed, if ya know what I mean.

If you don’t believe me, here is a bit of Cracked just backing this up a bit:

Alright, so. . .basically, in Star Wars, there’s very few women, but that does not translate into same-gender romances, or does it?

Ok, beyond the fact that there’s a whole argument that can be made about Luke and Lando setting off on a lovely romantic trip to Bespin, let us be honest here, there have to be a lot of women out there or, well, the entire population of the Republic will be collapsing within a good twenty years.

So, simply, just because it hasn’t been shown does not mean that it doesn’t exist.

The thing is, homosexuality has not been shown in the Star Wars universe for the same reason that I have trouble writing about straight couples in my own fiction. George Lucas, and as far as I know, everyone else writing the Star Wars Universe, is straight. It would probably never have occurred to him to have Annikan fall in love with Obi-Wan or Lando and Luke getting married. Typically, when a straight person writes a gay, lesbian, or bisexual character, it takes a conscious effort to include them.

Of course, that conscious effort is not being made by BioWare Austin or EA Games despite saying that they would.

Comments

comments

7 Responses to Rebutting The Argument Against Same-Gender Romance In Star Wars: TOR

1. Nina

December 25, 2012 at 1:23 am

Hey Bridgette,

I think I agree with you in that their lack of communication on the subject leaves something to be desired (putting it lightly). I think anyone who has worked on any kind of project knows that priorities shift and some of the things that you set out to do get thrown out the window, usually thanks to resource constraints. But at least they should let us know if it is even in the pipleline – just confirm or deny, I think that’s all anyone is looking for.

I’m in the same boat, I can’t play male characters anymore… You should write something about Remember Me and give it more publicity; I’m excited about that one. You’re probably already all over it, but here’s a link to a developer article: http://gamepolitics.com/2012/11/27/how-capcoms-remember-me-challenges-popularity-white-male-protagonist-stereotype

Hope you’re having a great break!

December 25, 2012 at 8:51 am

Nina,

Thank you for letting me know about Remember Me!

A lot of this is about communication. If they have had to abandon SGRA’s, that’s fine. Most of us will understand (even me). Yeah, it’ll mean a loss of players, but at this point, I’m ready to walk away because I would rather spend my money somewhere else. I play Star Trek Online, and we’ve been waiting three years for them to finish the Klingon content, so I certainly understand how long something can take, but at least Cryptic keeps talking to us.

And have a Merry Christmas!

2. Sir Gladiator

December 24, 2012 at 2:28 am

I too had noticed a real lack of women in SWTOR, there are WAY more men, and it makes you wonder how things like that come to be. My theory is it goes hand in hand with the whole romance issue. Most men like women, and if you like women you want a lot of women in the game, you’ll probably play at least part of the time as a female character, and you’ll want the same ability to romance the female LIs with your female characters that you have with your male characters. Then there are those men who don’t particularly care for women, not that they ‘hate’ them, but they just dont really care about them. They’re male, they’ll only play as a male character, and if a woman isn’t an LI there’s no point having her in the game, since that’s what women are good for after all, so their thinking would go.

The folks who designed this game clearly seem to fall into the latter category, because lest we forget, both KOTOR and KOTOR 2 had LIs for female PCs. Its easy enough to see why they didn’t put in SGRs for male characters, that is obviously highly controversial, and has never been done before in any Star Wars game as far as I know, but female LIs for female PCs aren’t controversial at all, quite the contrary, virtually everyone loves to have that option in a game, men and women alike, that’s why it was in both KOTOR games, JE, ME, DA, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, etc etc etc. So why is this the first Star Wars Old Republic game with no female LIs for female characters? It has to be because the higher ups simply don’t care about women, they don’t play as women themselves, and they don’t care about those who do.

I’d also like to address another point, touched on by a previous commenter, and that is the lack of even the option to play as a female at all in various games, it is indeed a shame. Especially The Witcher, a game where the main character, as the storyline goes, is sterile and thus there is literally no reason why, from a storyline standpoint, you couldn’t play as a female and sleep with the exact same women you can as Geralt, the result would be exactly the same every single time, no matter where the storyline goes in the future. Geraldine (or some such name) would be a very nice addition indeed to the next version of The Witcher, and certainly long overdue.

I play as a female character pretty much every chance I get, because most of the time you’re forced to play as a male, so when you get the option to play the other way you’re naturally going to take it. I’d like to see all future games have that as an option, and I’d like to see more female characters in the game, whether as quest-givers, LIs, major faction leaders, or simply standing around doing those random comments you occasionally hear as you’re zooming around the universe. The (virtual) world would be a better place indeed :) .

3. Will

December 23, 2012 at 11:22 pm

In the book Sacrifice, authored by Karen Traviss, we see a clear example that contradicts the argument of no homosexuality in the Star Wars universe. “Homosexuality and same-sex marriages were apparently accepted by the Mandalorians, as Goran Beviin and Medrit Vasur were an openly homosexual married couple living on Mandalore, who were fully integrated into Mandalorian society.”* Mandalorians, as you may or may not know, are the bounty hunter and mercenary warrior peoples of Boba and Jango Fett.

*This quote is courtesy of wookiepedia at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian

December 23, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Thanks for the quote.

I am well aware of who the Mandalorians are, but I am not as versed in Star Wars lore as others are.

4. Nina

December 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I believe Lucas Arts/Bioware actually did create a bisexual character and she was fully romanceable by my female jedi. It was back in 2003 with KOTOR… and it was *amazing*.

Bioware’s track-record has been pretty great (for lesbian romance) and I salute them for their inclusiveness. I think getting GLAAD to talk to them might be a little overkill since they have been making queer content for awhile now and have been the only company to do it well.

I wouldn’t want a romance in SWTOR now anyway, since I doubt they would change a pre-existing NPC’s sexuality, and therefore this new NPC would have a much smaller role in the grand scheme of things. I’d rather wait for an amazing romance in DA3, ME4 / ME0 or their new IP.

The REAL question is why aren’t *other* developers making inclusive games? Why are there so many games out there that have male leads and not the choice for a female lead? I can easily say that for every 10 PC games released, 1 has the option of being female. If Witcher had a female protaginist, I’d be all over it! Same with Alan Wake, Uncharted, GTA, Dishonored, Assassin’s Creed, etc, etc.

Conclusion: Its OK that Bioware slipped on one title. Its NOT OK that they are the only company making inclusive games.

December 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Nina,

Actually, the problem is not that they slipped with this one game. If they had said that there would be no SGRA’s, we would be disappointed, but understanding. What we’re upset with is their ghettoization of us by limiting us to one thread, their decision to never update us or even give us information about what is going on, and the fact that we have to harass them in order to get something out of them. Add to that, they made a promise that they have not kept up.

For me, this issue is far more problematic. I cannot play male characters, and I cannot stand the flirts that come from the male characters.