Matthew Warren, Son of Pastor Rick Warren, Commits Suicide

Pastor Rick Warren

Pastor Rick Warren

For those who may not know, Pastor Rick Warren’s son Matthew committed suicide yesterday. While there are those who are speculating that Matthew Warren was gay, there is no evidence of that. All that is known is that the son of Saddleback Church’s pastor suffered from mental illnesses and deep depression.

Warren wrote in an open letter that
“At 27 years of age, Matthew was an incredibly kind, gentle and compassionate young man whose sweet spirit was encouragement and comfort to many. Unfortunately, he also suffered from mental illness resulting in deep depression and suicidal thoughts.”

Matthew Warren was the youngest child of Rick and Kay Warren. He also wrote:

“No words can express the anguished grief we feel right now. He had a brilliant intellect and a gift for sensing who was most in pain or most uncomfortable in a room. He’d then make a bee-line to that person to engage and encourage them.”

“In spite of America’s best doctors, meds, counselors, and prayers for healing, the torture of mental illness never subsided. Today, after a fun evening together with Kay and me, in a momentary wave of despair at his home, he took his life.”

NBC reported that Matthew Warren was found at 10 am of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Pastor Warren is known for being vehemently anti-gay. His inclusion in the first Obama Inauguration was highly controversial. He was an ardent proponent of Proposition 8. Since then, Warren has been fairly quiet on the front of anti-gay rhetoric with many others eclipsing him. He has written numerous books spreading his view of faith.

Our condolences go out to the Warren family in this time of pain for no matter how much we may be at odds with each other, we are all, in the end, human.

Comments

comments

12 Responses to Matthew Warren, Son of Pastor Rick Warren, Commits Suicide

1. asis

April 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm

And, of course condolences for their lose. Especially, Kathy, a mother’s grief has no comparison.

if it seems rude to contemplate his sexuality after he has passed, my bad, but, if it is true that his son was depressed because of sexuality, Pastor Rick has a great opportunity to save other LGBT kid’s lives. RIP Matthew Warren 2013

2. asis

April 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm

To all those say those who are saying that Rick’s son was likely gay, they are not institagators but truth seekers. The statement doesn’t add up, they had a joyous time at dinner at Ricks and then the son kills himself? Despair is when u tell ur parents ur gay and they say u cant be. You become depressed , suicidal. I told my parents and neither accepted it so i ODed. I had to have my stomach pumped was in & of mental facilities for depression and gayness. Anyway, I attended Pastor Rick’s church in Lake Forest as a young open gay after telling my folks. My parents were super christian so I went with them. I once auditioned for a play at his megachurch and the director told me straight up I couldn’t be in it because of my sexuality. I was shocked, until I heard one of Pastor Rick’s anti-gay sermons. I was done at this point. My parents still ask me to attend but i refuse. If pastor ricks church thought I was a sinner why would they turn me away? As a teenager it was just one more reminder that LGBTs are not people too to everyone. What would Jesus do?

3. Pingback: Suicide, Matthew Warren, and my experience – Believer's Brain

4. Chuck

April 8, 2013 at 9:14 am

I’m sorry, a “heart for The Lord?” Since when is supporting Ugandan legislation to execute gay and lesbian people something Jesus would do? And if Matthew was gay and has a father who supports the death penalty for people like you, it’d make you feel like your life has no worth.

5. Scamp

April 7, 2013 at 11:26 pm

When will we hear about the conversion therapy he got from Marcus Bachmann? Hatemongers, all of them. And why did a depressed kid get access to a gun?

6. no surprise

April 7, 2013 at 9:24 pm

If his son was gay or not is not relevant. Any son or daughter of a hate monger is in danger of having psychological issues living with scum like that.

RIP Matthew, you are no doubt in a better place now

7. Ellen Myers

April 7, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I give no sympathy to his parents, at least not to his father, and not to his mother if she felt the same as her husband does. If their son was gay, then they were as responsible for his death as if they had held the gun and pulled the trigger. People like Rick Warren are destroyers. Not only do they hurt and harm gay people and their families but they throw dirt on the name of Jesus everytime they use His name to do their dirty work, and they give all Christians a bad name. People who really “love the Lord” don’t spread hate and harm.

8. Alfred

April 7, 2013 at 6:34 pm

If Matthew left a suicide note I’d sure love to know what it said. If he was gay, that would have been one of the worst childhoods imaginable. And I wonder when they talk about treatments whether that included electroshock therapy.

9. JR

April 7, 2013 at 2:17 pm

When mental illness is present there is no life style that can make it better! So let’s all be adults here and STOP blaming the parents of Matthew because they have a heart for the Lord!

10. Diane

April 7, 2013 at 2:06 pm

No family is immune to tragedy. Clearly those replying do not know anything about this family and the wonderful people they are. Prayers and support are needed and not destruction and accusations.

11. Kimberly Miller

April 7, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I am not gay, but I love and accept all my gay friends and I embrace their uniqueness and talents. I think Pastor Warren was definitely missing something or his son could have maybe recovered. He probably did not agree with the way his father was. I can only imagine that his ministry is a facade of the real person he is. I can predict that there was a lot of rigidity in the Warren house. Not everyone can handle that type of behavior. Maybe the other children could have heard it. All the help in the world didn’t want to confront Pastor Warren with the reality of his harsh Biblical views, that Matthew just gave up and would sit in the darkness because his father doesn’t know how to really listen or be “tuned in” to what his son was trying to say. It was easier to end it since no one wanted to be open to hearing what he was really feeling. I feel so sad for Matthew. If he was gay, I know if there is indeed a God, that he will be embraced and held in his loving arms and told, “I love you.” Mr. Warren and his family will go on and make tons of money on souls who don’t know that he is not their salvation. A man cannot give this to another. He is a fake; another Tammy and Jim Bakker. Remember them. This is the exposure of their operation and how they are not as perfect as people think they are. It has been a money-making scheme all the way since their living-room meeting beginnings. He needs to re-evaluate his life and how this loss will impact him in the future.

12. Chuck

April 7, 2013 at 2:08 am

“There is no evidence for that.” Yes, and I imagine Matthew would have to keep it that way if his father were Rick Warren. Which is the problem in the first place.