“Who” In Gallifrey Is John Hurt Playing?

Abandon All Hope Of Being Unspoilered Ye Who Enter Here

tumblr_mn0yum5YWc1ro0ahbo1_500John Hurt…the speculation is already flying around the web. Is he really the Ninth Doctor? Is he the true First Doctor? Is he the Valeyard? Who is John Hurt’s Doctor? It really is a John Hurt moment…and for fans of Steve Moffat’s first big success in the United States- “Coupling”, that phrase has indelible meaning.

Namely (NSFW Clip):

It must have been quite interesting for John Hurt appearing on the set with Steve Moffat….The reference, of course, is to the chest burster from “Alien”.

Right now, the Whovian fandom is in an uproar, which is probably the best way in which a season finale should be.

The current theories range from the idea that John Hurt is playing the man who became the First Doctor. That is he is the man who did something that caused The Doctor to make the promise that he not only stole the TARDIS, but took the name The Doctor.

Another theory is that Hurt is playing the true Ninth Doctor and that Smith is the Twelfth and not the Eleventh. This is certainly a possibility given what we know about The Doctor, but it does create the problem with the fact that the next regeneration would be The Doctor’s last…unless, of course, it turns out that River giving up all of her regenerations extended the life of The Doctor well beyond the norm for a Time Lord.

The tabloid The Sun claims that this is the plot for the 50th, but it could also be misinformation to throw people off the scent.

It would also be interesting to see if this delving into the past could be what restore the Time Lords. I’ve always kind of disliked the idea that the Time Lords were completely obliterated.

So, we have until November before we find out who John Hurt is playing. There are a lot of different bits and bobs floating around, but that is what we will have to wait to find out.

This is going to be so much fun.

Addendum:

Yes, John Hurt played Mr. Ollivander in the Harry Potter movies…David Tennant played Barty Crouch, Jr in “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire”…and yes, Sylvester McCoy played Radagast the Brown in “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey”, but here’s the real ticket…In The Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins is played by Martin Freeman, who plays Dr. John Watson in “Sherlock”.  In “Sherlock”, the character of Mycroft Holmes is played by Mark Gatiss…who we all know from a LOT of Doctor Who- from Danny Boy to Gantok to Lazarus.  It all loops back in on itself.  So, what we have now is a really big loop between the three universes.

Addendum II:

Monitoring how things are going let me say this….

In the immortal words of one of the writers of Doctor Who- “Don’t Panic”.

Comments

comments

88 Responses to “Who” In Gallifrey Is John Hurt Playing?

1. JL Hunt

June 4, 2013 at 1:54 pm

SPOILER ALERT For those who haven’t heard Matt Smith is leaving Doctor Who. The Christmas special will have him regenerating into the next Doctor. With John Hurt being in the 50th special in November. It makes me wonder is the Doctor meeting his future self?

2. Muse1492

June 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I’ve read the theories, and must logically deduce that John Hurt’s incarnation of the Doctor is either The Valeyard (much preferred) or an Older 8th Doctor (McGann) who also took to wearing a Leather jacket. When the modern Series 1 started with Eccleston, we never saw McGann regenerate into him, so while the True 9th Doctor is plausible based on this, I find this to far fetched given current canon. Its more likely that Hurt is playing an aged McGann in that scenario.

Frankly, I much prefer the return of The Valeyard as his Prosecutor from “Trial of the Time Lord” to attempt a final verdict and claim The Doctor’s lives for himself as was promised, but instead The Doctor somehow atones for his past transgressions during The Last Great Time War leading to Smith’s regeneration into the 12th Doctor.

3. Brian

June 3, 2013 at 2:35 am

My personal opinion given the information makes me lean toward Hurt being the Valeyard as the Master had once said that the Valeyard was somewhere between his twelfth and thirteenth regeneration. This would also account for the doctor knowing who he is but Clara not recognizing him as a past regeneration as he is yet to come, but will eventually have met the doctor as he was there for the doctor’s trial on Galifrey

4. Harold

May 29, 2013 at 5:15 am

I like to say this about the different colored Daleks. This isn’t new or even the T.A.R.D.I.S. outer design. Both, I think came from the Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies. There were red, black, and blue Daleks in those movies. The T.A.R.D.I.S. in those movies is also very, very similar, except the doors opened outward. However, that was mentioned in “The Doctor’s Wife”.

Steven Moffat I think takes his ideas from somebody else and puts his own spin on them. He didn’t write the above mentioned episode, but I think he put his two cents worth in it. I still think the parts that are original (to my knowledge)is still good but after saying that, I still need to say this.

Either it’s unintentional or intentional, I think he took all kinds of stuff from the the Second Doctor, such as the hand wringing the Doctor does now. He claims that Matt Smith took that from the Second Doctor (I wonder). Amy could have came from Jamie the first Scottish companion, and was crossed with Donna Noble. Right down to the wedding dress.

The episode “The Mind Robber”, which Jamie was in, I think Captain Jack Harkness came from a character in that episode. It was in a magazine in that episode, called “The Ensign” and the character is named Captain Jack Harkaway. The first Captain Jack episode was written by him, (for those that don’t know this, so you know Captain Jack was maybe his idea). Of course this was an existing character from a Penny Dreadful called “Boys of England”.

I say there’s other things too, but I don’t know. I just needed to get that off my chest and I hope I’m wrong about it all and Moffat too.

5. Harold

May 29, 2013 at 4:02 am

My opinion on what version of the Doctor John Hurt is, he isn’t going to be any version of the Doctor. Not a full version anyway. What I mean is, when the Doctor destroyed the Time Lords, he had to make a decision to do what he did. He just didn’t do that on a whim! I think he had enormous amount of pressure he put on himself to make the decision, and he suffered a psychological break because of it.

He was either the Eighth or Ninth Doctor at the time (I’m leaning towards the Eighth). Of course when he regenerated, he carried it with him to the Ninth. Probably because it’s a part of his personality. That side of the Doctor broke the promise and made the decision for him and destroyed the Time Lords. The psychological break the Doctor suffered was a split in his personality and John Hurt is going to portray a personification of that.

I read that John Hurt said he was playing “a part of the Doctor”. I think he literally meant that. A clue to this is when the psychic in “Hide” said the Doctor has a sliver of ice in his heart. I think she meant what John Hurt is going to play out.

John Hurt’s costume even looks like the Eighth and Ninth Doctors’ put together, which means this split was there then. Later, the Ninth or Tenth Doctor came to terms with this, which the Tenth Doctor mentioned.

Like I said, it’s only my opinion.

6. James

May 28, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I am going with “The Other”–a brilliant story line worked out to lead into the 30th anniversary which never happened, and to add new levels of mystery to the back story. Suffice to say, it says the Doctor is not a normal Time Lord (no duh!), and, before he was the Doctor, he was present with Rasillon and Omega at the founding of Time Lord society and the creation of time travel technology. Afterward, something happened, and he “regenerated” into the life of a Gallifreyan baby born however they are born, a contemporary of the Master, etc.

Now, what if Omega wasn’t just trapped in the black hole while creating Time Lord technology? What if he was pushed? And what if the Other or Rasillon did the pushing (Gallifreyan hostory is unclear as to whether Rasillon is a good guy or a bad guy)? And what if the Other went so far as to trap Rasillon in his tomb pre-mortem (Gallifreyan history is also a bit sketchy as to how Rasillon got in there)? What if these were the crimes of the Other? This would nicely restart the back story (an important thing for a big anniversary) and create a symmetry that might have happened had “Doctor Who” not been sent into exile by the BBC: the first big anniversary special (10th) focused on Omega; the second (20th) focused on Rasillon; now the third (50th) would focus on the other person there at the beginning–a “Trinity” of characters, by the way.

Probably too much to hope for, alas.

7. Pingback: Who’s Zoomin’ Who? Thoughts on The Name of the Doctor episode of Doctor Who | Deep Fried Sci Fi

8. David Snider

May 26, 2013 at 2:26 am

I can tell you with much certainty that John Hurt will NOT going to be the ninth doctor and every doctor’s regeneration number be bumped up. It does not take Sherlock to deduce that doctor who has become very merchandise driven. Even to the point where Moffat broke tradition in order to make a bunch of different colored Dalek’s in order to extend the product line in a “gotta buy them all” fashion. So in order to make John Hurt the Ninth Doctor you would in return be making millions of boxes of toy sonic screwdrivers and etc all incorrectly labeled. As much as the merchandise is funding the future of Doctor Who I don’t see them making a move to “hurt” the product line. The doctor knew John Hurt from behind….so if he is the Valeyard he would be a future version of the doctor and he would not be as familiar with him as he acted. I would like to think it would be something like this — John Hurt is the Last and the first doctor all in one and the doctors existance is a loop. Once John Hurt as the last doctor breaks the promise it causes a reaction in time and space and places him back the beginning /end where the time lords reside in time. Then the cycle begins again. And the reason why John Hurt says he had no choice but to break the promise is because it is predetermined. It is a necessary step to continue the cycle. Then The Doctor takes on the name once again regenerates into the first doctor and takes off in John Hurts Tardis making the tardis the doctors property after all which he had stole from himself. And that’s all I have to say about that.

• J.L.Hunt

May 26, 2013 at 2:01 pm

The rumors of John being the ninth Doctor maybe true.Since talks with Christopher Eccleston fell through for him to reprise his roll as the ninth Doctor. John maybe just taking his place as the ninth and not being a new ninth. This would not change the number of times the Doctor has regenerated or change the history of the Doctor.

• Wixvhen

May 26, 2013 at 9:29 pm

There’s 3 important things to remember, though. One, he isn’t CALLED the Doctor. He isn’t ‘the doctor’ and is thus not antagonized by the GI and not saved by Clara. Also, he says “What I did, I did without choice, in the name of peace and sanity.” This is a reference to the Doctor’s part in the Time War, which he has pointed out he had no choice but to wipe out both sides, and has even re-destroyed both sides on other occasions outside the time war.

Two, when he is seen, he is not wearing normal attire for the doctors of the past or present… Sans one. He is wearing the coat of the 9th doctor. This is because change from one form to another does not change their clothes, despite changing the person and their appearance.

Three, Matt Smith is the 11th DOCTOR, not the 11th Regeneration or Life (out of 13). He’s gone through 12 lives (officially) as he put the energy from one regeneration into the dismembered hand which became the Human/Time Lord Doctor who left the series with Rose Tyler. And with the John Hurt regeneration, it would become 13… And Matt Smith -knew- who it was and what had happened when the 9th -life- (not Doctor, but life) spoke to him. The 11th has stated on at least one prior occasion that he would not be the Doctor if he performed an act. This is why his nineth life is not considered The Doctor.

I’ll let you find the ‘where’ in it, but when you read it, you can try to interpret it however you wish. It might be a hint to A. The Promise B. What determines who is/isn’t the doctor in his timeline.

9. Kirito AE

May 21, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I don’t know where the doctor fits in but… im willing to bet alot of money that the crime this doctor commited was blowing up the massive hole of galaxies we saw in this seasons cyber man ep. The emporer clearly said that he feels sorry for the guy that had to press that button. Why would the put that in there, it didnt fit in with the rest of the ep at all. Its clearly the crime he cannot forgive himself for commiting. But now the question we must ask is… what forced him to such extreme measures as to sacrifice hundereds of galaxies… an all mighty foe is coming. And i cant wait to see where they take this.

10. Pingback: The doctor… season finale | Bjorn Peeters Online

11. Ivory

May 20, 2013 at 11:19 am

I think River and Clara are one in the same. Call me crazy but I think so

• Rob

May 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm

You’re crazy.

12. Paul roughton

May 20, 2013 at 1:51 am

Also, just quickly, regarding the Valeyard.

Get it right.

It is stated in the trial of a timelord that the Valeyard IS the Doctor but – “somewhere between his 12 and final incarnations”.

Not 12th and 13th, 12th and final.
    It was deliberately left open, meaning (if you can’t work it out) the Doctors final incarnation could be any number. The Valeyard will appear after the doctors 12 incarnation but, he could have 100, 1000 incarnations for all we know

• Terry Bailey Sr.

May 20, 2013 at 9:44 am

Please please please let John Hurt be the 12th Doctor!!!! He is perfect for the part! I really prefer him over Matt Smith. Time for Matt to regenerate!

13. Paul roughton

May 20, 2013 at 1:44 am

Some of you people on here are a joke.

Learn to spell for one thing.

Also don’t confuse what you have read in a book, magazine or listened to on audio.

Only what we see in televised doctor who is part of the fabric of the doctor who story (canon).

Anything outside of that it is at the fans discretion to believe or not as suits them.

So to talk about the 8th doctor time locking gallifrey is pointless. He had one televised story.

Also, the doctor has 13 lives, if you don’t know that as a fan then you know nothing.

As for John hurt, he is clearly wearing the 9th doctors coat and possibly a part of the 8th doctors costume to boot.

My guess would be the 8th doctor fought in the time war, regenerated into the 9th whom carried on fighting.
    He obviously ended the war in a very bad way and committed many acts of which he is ashamed.

But as its a time war I guess it could be written that he either splintered off into the 9th doctor we know, complete with the memories of what he had done, also leaving a 9th doctor time locked in the war.

Or he ended the time war and reverted back to his 9th incarnation, with memories intact but outside of the time lock.

Either way, it’s a programme that can get around such things fairly easily.

I don’t believe Steven Moffatt will re-jig all the doctors, it’s just too controversial and unnecessary.

• Riley Carpenter

May 20, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Yes but the ninth doctor does state that in the last great time war he had to put gallefrey under a timelock to protect everyone and plus in the end of time the tenth doctor yells at the master saying his plan would upset the timelock and let the timelords back into the world

• Rob

May 20, 2013 at 11:42 pm

As far as the 13 lives go, I need to go back and find all mentions of that. From what I remember, there’s an alternate possibility. Time Lords were limited to 12 regenerations by the other Time Lords because they knew the dangers of immortality, especially for time travelers. With the other Time Lords gone, there’s no one to enforce the limitation.

And, when Clara saw his name, it was in a history of the Time War. Too many things connect in Dr Who for that to be a coincidence.

• P.F. Bruns

May 21, 2013 at 3:18 am

The BBC’s Series 4 FAQ(http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/faq/plot_continuity.shtml) suggests that now the Time Lord social order has been destroyed, the Doctor may be able to circumvent the limit on regenerations; it says: “Now that his people are gone, who knows? Time Lords used to have 13 lives.”

Also, considering you dropped the capitalization on your own last name, perhaps you could see your way clear to ease up on other people’s spelling.

It doesn’t take that much effort to be nice to fellow fans, does it? I mean, we all like the same show here.

• Anonymous

June 3, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Just to point out, Moffat may or may not have changed the amount of lives the doctor has. First, we all know it has been stated that he has 13, but River may have extended that in “Let;s Kill Hitler,” and also, in “Sara Jane Adventures” a branch off show of Doctor Who, Matt Smith appears in an episode, and says he has somewhere around 500 and something lives (Can’t recall the exact number). He may or may not have been joking, and since it is a separate show it might not be relevant, but the point still stands: The amount of lives the Doctor has is unclear.

14. Emily

May 20, 2013 at 1:35 am

Anybody else think its hilarious when you try to explain these convoluted plot lines to a non-Whovian. They just kind of blink at you.

• Sean Gibson

May 21, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Well, they don’t know not to blink.

• cole

May 23, 2013 at 3:12 pm

What ever you do don’t blink

15. Stephen monte

May 20, 2013 at 12:57 am

I remember the trail of a time lord with Tom Baker there was mention of an Evil doctor

• Jason Marshall

May 20, 2013 at 4:34 am

Trial of a Timelord was with Colin Baker (not Tom).
      John Hurt is playing the version of Omega that would have bonded with the Doctor in an alternate parallel timeline. I don’t believe anything written in newspapers as it’s all contrived rubbish.
      The easy way of guessing it was Omega was obvious to me. The symbol on the costumes of the clerics in Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, the symbol on the soldiers uniforms in A Good Man Goes to War. It’s the sign of the last letter of the Greek alphabet (Omega) that funny little upside down horseshoe thing. Wait and see and you’ll know in the end that I was right. I heard it was Omega last year when they said John Hurt was taking the part. If you remember Ian Collier’s version of Omega from Arc of Infinity, you will remember he had a kind of voice that is similar to Mr Hurts.
      That’s all for now

16. Mark

May 20, 2013 at 12:16 am

The Moff must be chuckling in his boots right now seeing all you guys arguing who it is or isn’t.

I just assumed it was the Mcgann version of the Dr who lived to an old age…if not that then its a version of the Dr Wiped from his memory, because of the Time War being so heinous.

One of the two ideas above is correct I think.

17. J.L. Hunt

May 19, 2013 at 11:55 pm

He is the ninth Doctor. At least according to another website. Christopher refused to come back so they made a new ninth. One supposedly the Doctor has forgotten about until now. That pushes all the new ones back 1 spot. So he’s on his 12th regeneration instead of 11th.

18. Ramei

May 19, 2013 at 11:06 pm

The Valeyard comes into existence between the 12th and 13th Doctors, but he was met by Doctor 6 during the trial. So one of them crossed their own time line then.

No problem John Hurt being both the Valeyard and the one who destroyed Gallifrey. He just crossed time lines again. Since he is part of the Doctor the Doctor would fill responsible even if it wasn’t one of his normal personas who did it.

I still think the time war is nonsense. All the Time Lords had to do was go back in time to before Davros was born and kill his parents before they met. No Davros, no Daleks.

• adamas

May 20, 2013 at 1:21 am

Ahhh but there’s the whole “Fixed point in time” thing. The(realitive)handful of things that CANNOT be changed.

• somenorcalguy

May 20, 2013 at 2:08 am

Unless Davros’ birth is a fixed point in time, which I could totally buy. If you can’t kill Hitler, you can’t kill Davros.

• CPalms

May 20, 2013 at 7:44 am

Uhhh…did they not already get the Doctor to try that in Genesis of the Daleks?
      The Doctor went back to their creation to try and stop the Davros from creating them in the first place, he couldn’t stop it, but delayed it by a few hundred years

• Anonymous

June 3, 2013 at 1:10 pm

can’t do dat!

19. Eetram

May 19, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Food for thought, if Moffat is trying to pull off the Cartmel plan…
    is John Hurt “The Other”?

May 20, 2013 at 12:42 am

Wow…and props to you for knowing that little bit of lore ;) And yes, it makes me wonder….

• Klearn

May 20, 2013 at 3:37 am

Serious kudos sir, my roommate and I were just talking about bringing this plot point back

20. Kim

May 19, 2013 at 9:20 pm

The impossible girl chose her name “Just like you chose Clara.” There must be something to that.

Also she is going back in time saving the Doctor. This could rewrite time/history thus adding future regeneration because she saved him from deaths/regenerations that happened previously. Making the impossible possible.

21. Agnes

May 19, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Valeyard. It is obvious. To deny and attempt to disown that part of himself, he effectively brings about the splitting off of that aspect of his personality.

22. Jimmy

May 19, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I would like to point out that present tardis and future tardis have the same broken window. What this implies, I’m not sure.

23. Captain Chad

May 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm

What I want to know is how come when it was showing Clara with all the doctors and flashing through all the doctors faces in his mind, why wasn’t David Tennant, the 10th Doctor, shown?

• Anne

May 19, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Actually David Tenant’s Doctor was shown, if only briefly

24. devo

May 19, 2013 at 5:35 pm

If I remember correctly, at the end of the 8th Doctor tv movie, we see him leave, but never see his regeneration into the Eccleston version of the 9th. So we don’t know how long he lives or ages past our last “view” of him. So John Hurt could be an older version of the 8th, which would make sense with him having been the one who commits double genocide.

• P.F. Bruns

May 21, 2013 at 3:14 am

This is the best theory I have seen so far.

As for the idea that the Valeyard version of the Doctor technically crossed his own timeline, since the Valeyard was technically only an amalgamation of negative energy from between the Doctor’s 12 and final incarnations, and since the Sixth Doctor was completely extracted from time to the area of Gallifrey where the trial was held, it could be presumed that not only was there no timeline to cross (Gallifrey is often considered “outside time” for story purposes), but the Valeyard was not technically the Doctor. I mean, if you get a leg cut off, and that leg is sent back in time four years to a point in space where you happen to be, would that cause a paradox? It might drive you insane if you recognize it as your leg, but that’s a different story.

25. Don McC

May 19, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Can John Hurt be the Doctor before he chose the name. The Doctor says choosing a name is the same as making a promise [to the universe] and that John Hurt was the one who broke that promise. Can you break a promise you haven’t made (yet)?

• Javier

May 19, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I agreed, I think John Hurt the is the TimeLord before called himself “The Doctor”. Maybe his real name was… who knows… and he broke that “promise”, then he called himself “The Doctor” making another promise to the universe; And that is the reason why he said at the end… “…i Said it was me.. I never said he was the Doctor….”

• John Avilla

May 19, 2013 at 8:44 pm

No, he can’t. They take their chosen name as children. They covered this in Davide Tennant’s last two episodes.

• Johnnathan

May 19, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I’d normally say that yes, that he could break a promise he hadn’t made yet with time travel and all, but then I get to thinking. Clara said that she’d seen all of his other faces, but she didn’t recognize that one, and doesn’t mention any future faces. Does that mean that he’s the next Doctor, the one who breaks the promise?

I believe in the Dark Doctor. Mwahahahahahaha!

26. Nic

May 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I think he is the “Doctor” from during the Time War. The 11th Doctor knows him, allthought he isn’t supposed to know his own futur (“Spoilers” :) ).
    He says (J. Hurt) he did what he did for the name of peace and sanity, and the 11th responds with “I know”. Thus, both know of the event they’re talking about.
    And the policy of the Doctor is to not kill, implied by his name: his promise. Or J.Hurt broke this promise: he destroyed both Timelords and Daleks.

Well. that’s my idea on the matter. Can’t wait to see this unravel!

27. Nick Page

May 19, 2013 at 3:53 pm

If John Hurt is playing the 9th Doctor then that makes Tennant the 11th. And Trenzalore is where the 11th will fall…

28. Hannah

May 19, 2013 at 3:48 pm

While I don’t think John Hurt IS the 12th Doctor, Matt Smith’s doctor WOULD be able to recognize him, I believe, if he was, since the encounter happens after he’s travelled through his own time stream. Conceivably, now Matt Smith’s doctor has seen all future doctors as well. BOY it gets confusing when you can no longer say “11th Doctor” with confidence.

And in terms of discussing limited regenerations the writing argument is the best. “The Show must go on!!” In this episode, he also mentioned that it is probable that he has done the MOST time traveling of anyone, Master and other TimeLords alike, so the rules have probably changed, with him being the last Time Lord (at this point. Holy lawd it is going to get exciting).

29. Dan Hicks

May 19, 2013 at 3:41 pm

“What we saw of him kind of looked like an older version of the tenth doctor, perhaps he’s the half human version from the alternate universe with Rose Tyler?”

Wow…. I hadn’t thought of that, and it’s a fun theory to think about, but we also knkow that Billie Piper and David Tennant are appearing in the 50th, and I’m assuming that they will be appearing as Rose / Human Doctor.

I think that John Hurt will be playing the true ninth, that is, an incarnation separate and in between McGann and Eccleston. This was the incarnation of the doctor involved in the time war, so My thoughts are that the 50th will center around that storyline, with other Doctor incarnations (perhaps) attempting to either stop him from destroying the time lords, or to assist him in destroying the Daleks.

What do you think?

• Anon

May 19, 2013 at 9:55 pm

…except that the video showing Matt Smith and David Tennant had Tennant in his Doctor costume…

30. Steve - Canada Eh?

May 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Ok – here is my theory – what is the chance that John Hurt is the new master ? ( remeber he was the Doctors nemesis )

How about that?

I bet that will create a frenzy of thoughts

• Travis Shepherd

May 19, 2013 at 3:55 pm

John Hurt is the Doctor before he chose the name Doctor, HE is the one who put a time lock on the Great Time War. HE is the secret, the name and the reason he did so. In “The Name of The Doctor” He says that “What I did, I did for peace.” As to which Matt Smith replies “But not in the name of the Doctor.”

• Peter

May 19, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Youve missed the one statement by Smith, where he stated that “Its the name you choose… Its like a promise. He was the one who broke the promise.”
      I took that to mean that William Hartnell was and always will be the first ‘Doctor.’
      Hurt was regenerated into somewhere between McGann and Eccleston.

• TheRentman

May 19, 2013 at 6:03 pm

We know that it was the 8th Doctor that used The Moment to end the Time War and send Gallifrey into hell. John Hurt’s Doctor could be the 8th Doctor after the Time War has been going on for a long time. The wear & tear on his body and age could have changed his appearance. Using The Moment caused the 8th Doctor to become the 9th Doctor. The 9th Doctor meets Rose very shortly after his regeneration.

It’s been established in the Series several times now that that Matt Smith’s Doctor is the 11th. Don’t see a reason why they would change that continuity now.

• megan

May 19, 2013 at 6:14 pm

If John Hurt is the first doctor, then when he said “I did it for peace and sanity” he could have meant that he ended the time war by just killing off all the other timelords and probably a billion daleks as well. then the war wouldn’t have spread which would keep peace amongst everywhere else at the time and sanity, well, I would go insane too if I kept seeing all I knew die before me painfully. all I know is that Hurt is one incarnation of the doctor. when, well, “that’s irreverent”.

31. TY

May 19, 2013 at 1:18 pm

It’s silly getting all worked up about the Doctor only having “X” amount of regenerations. He’ll have as many as the writers want him to have. The show will continue as long as the ratings stay high. Doctor Who lore can always be changed with the stroke of a pen

• jaron

May 19, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Thank you voice of reason.

Like the writters would stop the show, it’s never had more viewers than it does today. There is a movie coming out in 3d and everything!

I really love the current doctor, he is my favorite of the newer season by far, his acting is just better imo. I like how whimsically he does things, he reminds me of my favorite older doctors. I guess that’s the thing. BUT I won’t be sad to see him go, the best thing about doctor who, beyound all else, is the changing up of actors.

I LOVE IT, it’s the coolest idea ever! and the show has survived for decades because of that single concept. It’s awesome, and the new show will hopefully have just as many doctors and seasons as the old show did!

They won’t end the show becuase of some polt point they never thought they’d reach. It will be some epic season though I bet.

Point is I live how the doctor changes and I hope john hurt can get his own 3 seasons!!!!

GO GO Doctor who! ONWARDS!!!!

• luke

May 19, 2013 at 3:53 pm

That’s not true. The ratings don’t dictate the show. Being human was a BBC show and a much loved one at that and then they announced they were making one last series and everyone went mental. The ratings were good, the show was loved. But still they cancelled it

• Peter

May 19, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Yes but Dr Who, is the BBCs cash cow. High ratings = high advertising dollars/ pounds

32. John Avilla

May 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm

John Hurt most certainly CAN be the Valeyard AND be recognized by the current Doctor. In the original Doctor Who series The Doctor and the Valeyard met during The Doctor’s trial with the Valeyard acting as the prosecutor. Remember kids, we’re dealing with timey whimey stuff here, LOL.

33. Mr. X

May 19, 2013 at 11:30 am

The author of this article clearly did not pay attention to the season Finale. Matt Smith’s doctor implied, that while he was not necessarily the ninth, that he could not have been the first. Also, he said that “He broke his promise” which it can be assumed is referring to the Time War, in which he committed genocide against the Time Lords and the Daleks. While the “Real” Ninth Doctor theory is still viable, as well as the Valeyard theory. The problem with that though, is that the Valeyard was the penultimate incarnation, which means he would come after Smith, where as The Doctor implied that Hurt had come BEFORE him. I don’t mean to be a jerk or anything, but some of this article’s facts just don’t add up.

• me

May 19, 2013 at 6:04 pm

He wasn’t necessarily a previous incarnation. In the episode, the 11th Doctor goes into his own time stream. He could have seen his future. It is also implied in the episode that this is the Doctor who caused the devastation on Trenzalore, the one who died there. This version of The Doctor also is the one who “broke the promise” that comes with calling oneself Doctor. Presumably any incarnation after him, if it were possible, would not be allowed to use the name Doctor either, as demonstrated when all post Time War incarnations bear the guilt over their actions during that war. This leads me to believe that John Hurt’s Doctor is really the final incarnation who does something horrific on trenzalore and dies.

34. Chris

May 19, 2013 at 11:14 am

RE: Addendum I – its called jobs. These actors have jobs. They get paid to act – there’s nothing more about the crossing of these universes other than work.

RE: Addendum II – You mean Douglas Adams and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

What shoddy ‘journalism.’

• Ralph

May 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Douglas Adams has written episodes for Doctor Who, that’s the joke ;)

• YoureDumb

May 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm

You realize Douglas Adams was a writer for Doctor Who, right?

May 19, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Chris…I most certainly DO mean Douglas Adams…and he wrote for Doctor Who- “The Pirate Planet”, “Destiny of the Daleks”, “City of Death”, “The Creature from the Pit”, “Nightmare of Eden”, “The Horns of Nimon”, and “The Five Doctors” (Uncredited). He also wrote the script for the unfinished story “Shada”, which is an excellent read. I thoroughly recommend it.

35. Rob

May 19, 2013 at 11:05 am

oh, also bas… “He is the oldest actor to play the Doctor, beating William Hartnell by more than 15 years, as well as the first actor to play the Doctor in the revived series to be born before the original series was first broadcast. ” courtesy of Tardis.wiki =D

36. Rob

May 19, 2013 at 10:59 am

Theory* Himself* Some things* Time War* Listen* Disowned* Heart* Energy* Already* Writers*….. never in my life have i ever felt like i’ve been a school teacher untill now bas…

37. Rob

May 19, 2013 at 10:46 am

bas What Are You Talking About? We ALHe Know That John Hurt Has To Be One Of The Doctors Because If He WaSn’t, It Wouldn’t Of Said IN The Episode When He Was ReVeled…. “John Hurt As The Doctor”

• bas

May 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm

???rob???
      Never talked about john hurts age. i am talking lore wise ( aka story wise).
      Oooh and the grammar *#$@. so i am not english. i am writing with my best english. if its not good enough for you. your loss :p
      omg rob…matt smiths doctor says: He doesnt use the doctors name because he did something terrible. watch the freaking episode!!.

• Jen

May 20, 2013 at 9:07 am

wouldn’t have* revealed*
      And what’s with all the capital letters?

38. the master

May 19, 2013 at 9:16 am

I haven’t watched the ninth doctor in action… (so wat u can cal me wat u like) but from wat Iv found Hurt beening the ninth doctor very logical.
    However I’d like to throw out the fact that he could be the 12th doctor. seening as though the story is progressing forwards and not completely pointing to the past the 13th doctor could be hurt. as we all know the doctor has a secret that he will take to his grave. If the 11th doctor hated the this new doctor so much and clara had seen all the doctors it could only point to one thing the 12th doctor. of course there will be a few twists to the story but in all the 12th doctor is another logical theory.

• bas

May 19, 2013 at 9:28 am

euuuuhhh 1 question to debunk your theorie. how could the doctor know him self if he hasnt even seen his 12th version. and again. its been officaly said that hurt is 9th doctor ( if he didnt loose his doctor name).

39. Tyler

May 19, 2013 at 6:48 am

If Matt’s Doctor is the 12th there would still be a Doctor after him, due to the fact that a Time Lord gets 12 regenerations meaning 13 Doctors. So It would be the next Doctor who would worry about dying, but as some one who watched all of the original 26 series the time line doesn’t really make much sense if John Hurt is the ninth Doctor. First off for starters the eighth Doctor locked Galifrey In the Time Lock meaning even if there was a doctor right after him, He wouldn’t of dealt with the Time War at all. Also for those people who think John could be the true first Doctor, and did something causing the Doctor to forget about him, stop going by his real name and start going by the Doctor. I don’t even recognize you as a true fan, because if you were you would know that Time Lords only go by there real name till around the age of five at which point they chose there name(the Doctor chose “The Doctor”) that is tradition. Also the first Doctor wrote a Diary of his first 500 years of life which disproves the theory of John being the true first doctor. Then there are those of you who think John could be the Valeyard, but then the Doctor wouldn’t of known who he was. Now that I’ve addressed the main theory’s, The only logical Doctor John hurt could be is the eighth Doctor. the one who ended The Last Great Time War.

• TY

May 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Going by only the stories that have aired, you can’t say the eighth Doctor has really done anything since he only had that crappy Americans movie. Same holds true for Galiffreyans naming themselves – that was never said anyhwere in the aired episodes. If you’re getting this from books or audio adventures, they can and usually are ignored by writers of the television series…

• Konkrypton

May 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Nope. Remember, we saw the 7th Doctor regenerate into the 8th in the movie. No, Hurt has to be the 9th Doctor or a later one. Remember, Matt Smith’s Doctor has had adventures we never saw, so he could have met Hurt’s Doctor previous to the visit to Trenzalore. Hurt could therefore be the 12th or 13th Doctor. The Doctor has met other versions of himself so many times that this makes sense.

But no, Hurt cannot be the 8th Doctor. 9, 12, or 13.

40. Pingback: John Hurt Is The Doctor | The Consulting Detective

41. Bradley Conder

May 19, 2013 at 5:24 am

I have no idea who you are talking with to get your theories. Nobody is saying half the crap you are saying. He is not valeyard, he is a later offshoot of the doctor. He isn’t the first doctor. Where the hell did you get that from? He is most likely the true ninth doctor who fought in the time war where he committed genocide.

May 19, 2013 at 8:10 am

I looked around and found them. Some were ones that came to my mind right away, but others are thinking of them too.

A quick stroll through Tumblr provided me with a lot of the theories. While I do agree that it is possible that Hurt is playing the true Ninth Doctor, I also tend to be of the opinion that I should never trust anything until it shows up on screen.

• bas

May 19, 2013 at 9:09 am

He is right about somethings. 1 t/m 8 are locked with the time lock of the time ware.

but is it not offical that john hurt plays the 9nth doctor. and if you liston to what matt smith doctor says: he is me but not a doctor. because he did something to “lose” the title ( or right)to use the name. so most likely after doctor 8 and before doctor 9 there was a incarnation of the doctor who did something so bad that his later incarnations disonwned him of his title.

• A guy

May 19, 2013 at 1:01 pm

The Valeyard is the Doctor…

42. bas

May 19, 2013 at 5:22 am

? > but it does create the problem with the fact that the next regeneration would be The Doctor’s last< ? there's allot of different lore about this. but i think its normal timelords only have 13 incarnations because they as a people didnt want anyone to have more ( they capped it). so next should be the last …but he looked in to the hearth of the tardis.no telling what that will do, he jumped into his own time stream. and all that engery from river it could very well be that it has been reset 2 times allready. master also lift longer then that. and i even think the righters said he has like over 500 times he can do it.

• person

May 19, 2013 at 11:48 am

It would not be the last regeneration. From my understanding, the Council was responsible for enforcing the 12 regenerations rule so the fact that gallifrey and the council are gone means that he can have an infinite number of regenerations.

• mik

May 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm

hi bas just wanted to clear up something thats been playing on my mind about the doctors regeneration pattern. Fact a timelord has an average of 12 regenerations resulting in thirteen incarnations per person. However this has been disproven by the master who has used up all his regenerations / lives during the fourth doctors incarnation and was granted a new set of regeneration (12)lives by the high council of the timelords during the crisis in the death zone on gallifrey for him rescuing the doctor in any of his 5 incarnations at the time. however the master has beaten death on many occasions , so this proves that the doctor can carry on at any time if he chooses………………… .

43. Jack Robertson

May 19, 2013 at 5:07 am

44. Eli Rose

May 19, 2013 at 3:14 am

“Don’t Panic” Is my favorite line of all time. Good ending.