Paula Deen Fired By Food Network After Admitting Use Of Epithets

Paula Deen

Paula Deen

Paula Deen- y’er otta here! An apology by Paula Deen apparently wasn’t enough, and The Food Network has announced that they will not be renewing her contract at the end of June when it expires. The announcement came as Deen was a no-show on “Today”.

Deen has,
in recent days, been in trouble as it came to light that she was prone to using racial epithets, and joked about wanting a slave-themed restaurant.

Deen took to YouTube to beg for forgiveness, but after two scandals, it may have been too little, too late. Deen got into hot water not long ago for hiding the fact that she has diabetes even as she continued to push fat and sugar laden foods on the public. That revelation did earn her sons a contract with Food Network’s sister network, Cooking Channel. Her sons revamps her old recipes to make them healthier. However, many have criticized her for profiting off of her disorder.

Jamie and Bobby Deen’s shows will not be affected.

A tearful Deen took to YouTube to say “I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I’ve done. I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate and hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable.”

In the longer version, Deen says “Your color of your skin, your religion, your sexual preference does not matter,” adding “ I was wrong, yes, I’ve worked hard, and I have made mistakes but that is no excuse and I offer my sincere apology to those that I have hurt, and I hope that you forgive me because this comes from the deepest part of my heart.

Deen has been trading on a folksy sort of Southern charm for some time, even though that can be grating to some people.

When Deen failed to show up on Today, Matt Lauer was not exactly happy. He wrote on Twitter “We just found out she’s a no-show. Hoping to get more info on the Paula Deen situation soon. Very confusing.”

No word yet if other parts of her little culinary empire will be affected. Deen, 66, serves as the spokeswoman for Philadelphia Cream Cheese and Smithfield Foods. She has a magazine “Cooking with Paula Deen” that has a circulation of nearly 1 million.

This all started after a lawsuit was filed by Lisa T. Jackson, the general manager of Uncle Bubba’s Oyster House. Deen owns the restaurant with her brother Earl “Bubba” Hiers. Jackson, who is of Sicilian ancestry, has a swarthy appearance. She alleges that she suffered from racial prejudice in the restaurant despite being White. Jackson made numerous allegations of racism, sexism, and other issues that occurred at the restaurant, and that Deen and Hiers did nothing to remedy them.

In a deposition related to the lawsuit brought by Jackson, Deen admitted to using racial epithets in the past, and making racial jokes even though she adamantly said she does not tolerate racism and her family does not tolerate prejudice. She said “Bubba and I, neither one of us, care what the color of your skin is. . .It’s what’s in your heart and in your head that matters to us.” She claimed that she “mostly jokes” about Jews, gays, black people, and ‘rednecks’. She said “I can’t, myself, determine what offends another person.”

Well, those racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic jokes got her backside fired form Food Network.

Comments

comments

9 Responses to Paula Deen Fired By Food Network After Admitting Use Of Epithets

1. Lisa Gonzalez

June 26, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I applaud the food network for firing a person very visible after they make a horrible racial slur. Thank God somebody is willing to make a stand especially in this day-in-age. Especially a southern white women! How dumb can you be. I also agree that some comediennes get away with saying equally atrocious things in the name of comedy. What about that guy “Kramer” from Seinfeld though, he got in trouble for using the N-word too. If we as a nation don’t stand up against outright bigotry and stupidity then it makes me sad and disappointed in us as humans and as citizens of the United States.

2. Pingback: Why I Do Not Particularly Care About The Paula Deen Situation – CCL 75 | chocolatecoveredliesdotcom

3. Krystal

June 22, 2013 at 11:17 am

Paula Deen was wrong — yes. However, the networks are also guilty of prejudice and discrimination when they fire Paula for comments that are not politically correct, but comedians, athletes, song writers/singers and politicians can say what they please without recourse. Compared to what else is out there in the world, Paula’s faux pas was hardly deserving of a slap on the hand. America needs to grow a thicker skin and focus its energy on ridding us of the filth in government — not a food show host.

• David

June 23, 2013 at 6:05 am

I thought we had freedom of speech in this country we are treading on dangerous ground when your words can affect what happens to your lively hood let alone the fact that in my years of growing up (70s) & (80s) you never would stand for bullying you either fight or were called a coward it’s better to fight win or lose than do nothing at all if what you say is wrong then every elected official in this country should be fired because they are why you can’t say what you want anymore words are words and nothing more, Sorry for Paula Dean..

June 23, 2013 at 11:04 am

David,

Freedom of speech means only that the government cannot censor our words within certain very limited parameters (like defamation of character, directly endangering people’s lives).

We do not have the right to say anything we want without consequence among our peers. It goes back to something said by author Terry Pratchett in the novel Going Postal “And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”

Paula Deed is free to say whatever she wants, but she is not free of the consequences of her saying whatever she wants as people no longer want to associate with her. Another way to put it is, freedom of speech does not give you the license to be a jerk without other people walking away from you in disgust.

4. Terry Weaver

June 22, 2013 at 8:21 am

I also think that everything is blown out of proportion. What about all the good that Paula Deen has done? Food network is making a huge mistake. Their decision will lose viewers. You don’t throw the baby out with the bath water!!!!

5. jean moree

June 21, 2013 at 10:33 pm

got what she deserves. no place for racism. no place for what she stands for. Next?

6. Linda Logan

June 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I think this is all blowed out of proportion. There isn’t a person alive that hasn’t said something that they wish they could take back!!!!

June 21, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I grew up in the South, and no, this isn’t ‘something someone said that they wish they could take back’, this is likely ‘I’m a rich White woman, I don’t have to watch what I say’ kind of thing. I ran into it a lot in the South.