Orson Scott Card Quits Board Of National Organization for Marriage

Orson Scott Card

Orson Scott Card

Orson Scott Card is trying to do major damage control after the uproar regarding his stance over same-sex marriage and homosexuality began to threaten the upcoming movie inspired by his novel Ender’s Game. Card decided, very quietly it seems, to resign from the board of the National Organization for Marriage.

Not long ago, the novelist told Entertainment Weekly that “it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance towards those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute.” Of course, this statement showed the tone deafness of Card not understanding that there is a difference between tolerating someone and trying to force them to not exist by constantly attacking them and trying to force them into harmful ex-gay therapy.

Simply put, if you want people to stop calling you a bigot, try stopping what you’re doing to force them to live their lives according to your religious beliefs.

Well, apparently buried in the EW print article is something that Josh Rottenberg noted. Rottenberg stated that Card “quietly stepped down from the board of the National Organization for Marriage, a group devoted to battling same-sex marriage, which he had joined in 2009.”

Card also claimed, recently, that the Windsor ruling out of the Supreme Court renders the debate over marriage equality ‘moot’, so he may no longer feel the need to participate in NOM’s mission, as Alyssa Rosenberg over at ThinkProgress notes. The reality may be that Card is now looking down the barrel of a very potent reality gun that he can’t outrun.

Card is not an overly famous author, and his Ender’s Game sounds rather derivative of the first Star Wars movie. He may even be panicking more now given that another film adaptation (R.I.P.D.) that sounds incredibly derivative of someone else’s work (Men in Black) just flopped hard in the theaters, and boycott or not, the negative press associated with Card’s views on sexuality is endangering the film’s chances of making even a small profit.

While Card is kind of famous, the fact that he isn’t overly famous means that, in this day and age, his social views could quite easily lead to the toppling of his little kingdom.

Comments

comments

14 Responses to Orson Scott Card Quits Board Of National Organization for Marriage

1. Tamist

August 8, 2013 at 4:48 pm

“This takes place primarily in space? It MUST be like Star Wars because there is only one possible story that you could tell that takes place in space.”

What else do you judge without knowing anything about?

August 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm

The explanation that I have had about this novel is this- A race of space bugs (Starship Troopers) invade and nearly wipe out humanity (War of the Worlds). The remaining humans come up with a super weapon that could kill off the bugs, but are too ethical to use it, but they aren’t too ethical to breed sociopathic children with superior traits to do their fighting (Think Khan as a child or Red Skull from Captain America). The fate of humanity rests with this child called Ender who has special talents (kind of like Luke Skywalker being the last Jedi). He doesn’t have the morals or ethics of his elders (which given that they are creating child sociopaths is a bit of a stretch). He realizes that there’s no up or down in Zero G (Something that seems to be well known by just about every sci-fi reader and gamer out there).

And it’s all written in a style that seems devoid of any emotion, description, or urgency.

And still people can’t explain to me why this novel is so great.

2. Tamist

August 8, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Also if you knew anything about the Sci Fi community, you’d know that OSC is actually super famous and well known – and “Ender’s Game” is considered one of the best and most famous modern Sci Fi classics. They even assigned it in my middle school to read. How many other books written after 1950 can you say that about?

3. Tamist

August 8, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I’m not a OSC fan – ONLY because of his views on homosexuality. He’s a super talented author that has unfortunate social views, which he unfortunately donates his money to support. That being said – mostly the reason I’m posting is the same reason the other person posted. Your article is fine except that you obviously don’t know what you are talking about regarding Ender’s Game. Perhaps you should read the book before judging it? I’ve read the back of the book several times (as well as reading the entirety of every book in the entire series) and the back of makes it sound NOTHING like Star Wars, which makes sense since it IS nothing like Star Wars. Have you even seen that movie? Maybe you shouldn’t be commenting at all on Sci Fi if you can’t tell the difference because they aren’t even remotely similar. Sci Fi fans are hardcore, so be careful before you make ignorant statements without familiarizing yourself with the projects we love. Otherwise your just going to get a lot of angry nerds, like me.

August 8, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I tried reading it, and I’m still trying to figure out why people think what he wrote is so great. I’ve managed to get about four or five pages in and found myself not caring about any of the characters or the story. Incidentally, I grew up reading Anne McCaffrey, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Issac Asimov, Frank Herbert, Ray Bradbury and I don’t know how many others. And, actually, I know of several books written after 1950 which are taught in school- especially those written by Asimov and Bradbury. Oh, and Terry Pratchett.

So far, no one has been able to explain to me what makes Ender’s Game great, or for that matter, what Ender’s Game is about. Everything I’ve read and heard makes it sound incredibly derivative of other works, and I find the writing to be incredibly poorly done.

So, pray explain- what makes Ender’s Game so great? So far, all I can figure out is that it seems like a poorly written, derivative piece of Emperor’s Clothing.

4. Seth

July 30, 2013 at 5:33 pm

When was the last time anybody attempted to outlaw Card’s marriage? He has already been granted more tolerance than he has shown.

5. Jim in LA

July 28, 2013 at 7:47 pm

If someone really wants to read the book, check it out from a library or borrow it from someone. Then they don’t have to risk putting money into a bigot’s pocket when he’s likely to turn around and use that money to attack who you are and what you believe in.

6. Jim in LA

July 28, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I remember after Proposition 8 passed in California – after listening to months of Mormon-sponsored lies about the gay community, and how children will be harmed, and tons of other nasty lies, that the leader of the Mormon church asked for civility. Interesting that Orson Scott Card, while still sitting on the board of NOM, commented that he wanted to see if the “proponents of gay marriage” will show “tolerance” to him now that they have won. Well, they haven’t won yet. Most states still ban gay marriage. And – for the moment, it’s a little like asking the newly freed southern slaves to show empathy towards the people who beat and abused them the day after Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation. In time, I’m sure most of the resentment will go away. I think it will take much MORE time, though – for those who actively participated in the abuse (such as a member of NOM’s board) to be forgiven. And until equality is won for all, and they stop fighting to demonize gay people – that’s not likely to even start.

7. eve

July 26, 2013 at 2:01 am

Actually Orson Scott Card is a highly respected and well known author in the science fiction genre. Ender’s Game is classic science fiction and bears virtually no resemblance to Star Wars. That said, I disagree entirely with his views on gay marriage, but I can separate the books I enjoy from a man I no longer have a desire to meet.

8. Pingback: Speaker for the Dead, Orson Scott Card (TOR, 1986 {Macmillan Audio, Narrators: David Birney, Stefan Rudnicki, and Cast}) | The Archaeologist's Guide to the Galaxy.. by Thomas Evans

9. wayne

July 23, 2013 at 2:17 pm

anyone who steps down from NOM’s Board had better first clean the doo-doo off his shoes before going into polite company……

10. Paula

July 23, 2013 at 1:51 am

I disagree with Card’s stance on homosexuality, but I still like most of his books. And for what it’s worth, Ender’s Game is NOTHING like Star Wars. You should probably read it before you try to compare to other works.

July 23, 2013 at 2:52 am

*Rolls eyes* I really wish people would get how I worded that. I am not saying that Ender’s Game IS like Star Wars, I’m saying it SOUNDS like Star Wars. That is, if you just read the synopsis, that’s what you come away with as the impression.

July 23, 2013 at 11:17 am

Sorry if I was rather sarcastic last night. When I was fifteen, I picked up Ender’s Game, read the back of the book, went ‘this sounds like Star Wars’ and put it back on the shelf. Good or not, it’s got that as a problem coupled with the backlash over Card’s social views.