My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic- Season 4, The Trials Of Alicorn Twilight?

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Hello everypony! Alright, now that we’ve established that there will be a Season 4, let me tell you all that we will also be covering Equestria Girls when it starts. If nothing else, we want to see how it will pan out.

Now onto some news. I have to start with the fact that I do not- emphatically do not- attend conventions. I’m terrified of others and being out of doors, and especially androphobic. So, the Equestria Daily team is reporting from Las Pegasus that there has been some wonderful information coming out of Unicon.

A lot of it is stuff that we pretty much know, or should know with any series out there, and if you wish to go through the banalities of what it basically means to work for a television show where advertising is King, Queen, Prince, Princess and the Castle, here is the Equestira Daily round up of what’s going on.

Basically, the studio has a certain list of things that they will and won’t allow, and things that they want to see and things that they don’t. This is why we haven’t dealt directly with Applejack’s parents, for instance.

However, let us begin with this particular nugget from EqD “The Season 3 finale was originally written in November 2011. Twilicorn was a while in coming, folks. plus, the writers knew they wanted to make it a musical fairly early on.” This is kind of normal. As anyone who has listened to the commentary on Robot Chicken’s DVDs knows, animation takes time, and it can take over a year to get a season fully animated. Additionally, it became clear that Twilight was heading for Alicorn status back in the first season. As mentioned as well, “a typical episode takes about nine weeks to go from premise to polish” or about two months and one week.

EqD notes that “The Season 4 opener will focus on Twilight’s fears and questions after becoming a princess.” We certainly look forward to it. Additionally, apparently ‘no one knows what Star Swirl’s spell was suppose to do.’

With regards to my favorite Pony, Rarity, EqD notes that the reason why there was no Rarity episode was that “Rarity turned out to be pretty mean to Spike in the initial treatment [of the episode], so the episode went to Applejack instead. And so we got ‘Spike at Your Service’”; however, “Rarity episodes in Season 4 have been confirmed.”

And two final bits. EqD notes that:

Hasbro isn’t soulless. Meghan feels the stories she and the writers want to tell are the ones that get told despite what others believe, and the studio Hasbro built up has animators and other folks who care about making a good TV show in its executive positions. M.A. went out of his way to point out that dealing with the highers-up isn’t a black/white process, but has nuances. At the end of the day, Friendship is Magic is there to advertise toys of brightly colored ponies, but the writers are pretty happy with how much control they have over their episodes.

And:

Reforming Discord was a good thing in Meghan’s eyes. It allows him to still be himself while not confining him to his expected role as a villain and expands his story opportunities. Will he show up in Season 4? Who knows?

There is a lot more over at Equestria Daily, but those are the bits that I was most interested in. I certainly hope for more Rarity…and yes, given that we have Cadence and Shining Armor, as a lesbian Pegasister, I would love to see some female/female couples…maybe actually make it very clear that Lyra and Bon-Bon are a couple, which I, personally, don’t think will hurt the show.

Comments

comments

14 Responses to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic- Season 4, The Trials Of Alicorn Twilight?

1. Janja

March 16, 2013 at 8:11 am

Will there be Rainbow Dash episode.

• Janja

March 16, 2013 at 8:17 am

to.

2. Anon

March 14, 2013 at 8:02 pm

“especially androphobic”

Already interpreted fear of conventions as this before even getting to the quoted part.

March 14, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I’m not sure what you mean. Androphobia means a fear of men…and that makes attending any convention very difficult.

3. isaac wofford

March 14, 2013 at 2:05 am

can we get a boy pony with real comb-able hair? why troll hair for boys? and how about a boy that is beat friends with another boy or part of the mane six instead of getting married all the time?

also, as far as the gay/lesbian characters go, well, since they don’t actually have s-e-x it is all a part of how one perceives the ponies. it is obvious from the rainbow hair and tomboyishness that rainbow dash is lesbian, that is unless you don’t “get it.” and there is nothing in the bible about lesbians at all, they aren’t even defined as being able to exist since women’s sexuality wasn’t important unless it pertained to men. my undergrad degree is in religion i studied this.

so can we get a boy a boy with comb-able hair already?? he can be friends with another boy or single instead of having a girlfriend, it would effin’ rock!

March 14, 2013 at 2:29 am

Isaac,

I love the idea that they should include more boys with combable hair too :)

4. Nina

March 14, 2013 at 1:23 am

Excuse me for noticing that you mentioned something about being a “Lesbian Pegasister” & That they should make couples in MLP FIM like that as well for Ex)”Lyra & Bon-Bon.” I Personally don’t think this is a good idea, being that there are smaller children that watch the show as well. Showing children that being gay is okay would be completely inappropriate. Parents want there children to grow up the right way. Besides there are only a few couples in the show anyways.

March 14, 2013 at 1:32 am

First of all, what is wrong with being gay or lesbian? I mean, other than on religious grounds, I have been unable to find a single shred of evidence that telling children that being gay or lesbian is alright. In fact, doing so would actually help children who feel “different” because it will tell them that it is alright to be lesbian or gay.

What do you think we do that is so horrific? I mean, other than having a loving and sexual relationship with someone of the same sex? I know many very law abiding lesbians and gays out there who are wonderful people. They go to work, they have families. In fact, I know of one lesbian couple who have done a better job raising their daughter than some of the straight couples I know.

On the other hand, not showing children that it is alright to be lesbian or gay means that they grow up feeling bad about themselves. They feel ashamed, and that leads to criminal behaviors, drug abuse, promiscuity, alcohol abuse, smoking, and even suicide.

So…please, to my face (as much as there is one on the internet) please explain to me without relying upon a fear mongering argument, religious beliefs, or discomfort with lesbian or gay sex- in other words, explain to me in a completely rational manner- why you think being lesbian or gay is wrong and why we should not tell our children that being lesbian or gay is right.

Because, personally, I look at how effed up most straight relationships are compared to the lesbian ones I know, and honestly, I can’t help but think that heterosexuality is more problematic than homosexuality.

5. Kelsey

March 13, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Please make another my little pony season and some more episode please :) ;) I wish that they had more other think like a pony with all the powers or one with the wings and unicorn and one with a new way to be a princess or they should have more magic and fight with the power of the sun and moon and twilight sparkle if the win the will get a friend or two to be the princess if they lose the will lose twilight brother for ever ……

6. Sarah

March 9, 2013 at 12:54 am

I love mlp can’t wait for the epicness of season 4 when it comes out. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkk!!!!!!!!!!!
    So excited! All bronies and pegasisters out there lets get ready for something great and inspiring!

7. Brandon

March 5, 2013 at 9:05 am

I swer i will kill the fuking equestria girls KILL IT WITH FIRE

• jeffrey

March 5, 2013 at 11:37 pm

let it die

8. ILDC

March 1, 2013 at 12:41 am

I remember when the show actually had little to do with the toyline.

9. Goombasa

March 1, 2013 at 12:16 am

You bring up some very good points.

Not gonna lie, Season 3 on the whole felt very uneven for me, and while I was nervous about the finale, I was confident that the writers could pull it off in a believable fashion. My faith, unfortunately, was tested, and I was one of the people who vehemently detested the episode when it first aired.

I have since cooled my jets and watched the episode a few times, and while I still feel it is far from perfect (Pacing being one of the main problems I have with it) I do have to admit that my initial rage was an overreaction and the episode was okay. Just okay, but it left me with enough faith that the writing team will be able to bounce back in Season 4, and hopefully with more episodes to work with this time around we’ll see stories that are better paced. McCarthy has also pointed out that she sees Twilight’s transformation as only part one of a three part story, and Ingram and Larson are both enthusiastic about the upcoming season, so I am far from leaving the fandom. I’m just slightly disappointed that the finale didn’t turn out as well as it could have.

As to Equestria Girls… well, I’ll say this much: Most of us probably dismissed MLP:FiM at first too, so this at least bears a little bit of a curiosity. Who knows? It might actually turn into something decent. I don’t have confidence that it will be as good as the show in its first or second season, but I do think that it will be, at the very least, entertaining… maybe.

I dunno, just call me optimistic XD