Christian School Pulls Ohio Man’s Alum Page After They Find Out He’s Gay

David Emerson is a producer, an on-air personality for a Columbus, Ohio radio station, and an openly gay man. Now he is at the center of a controversy because of his old school. You see, David is also an alumnus of the Delaware Christian School in his native Ohio, and they are no longer pleased that he is an alum of their school.

David was celebrated by their school for the fact that he was such a success, and he was profiled by the school on its alumni page for years after he graduated in 2002, but now, the school’s administrators have pulled it down because, well, according to the school’s principle and superintendent Gordon McDonald “The school doesn’t approve in the gay lifestyle, and that is why David’s page was removed.” Of course, one has to wonder what lifestyle that is. Does he mean waking up at noon after getting to bed at 3am writing? It is amazing what they think lifestyle means- which is pretty much what many straight men do all the time.

As for David, he is very hurt by what they did. He stated “I think being a Christian gay man, its more hurtful than anything. There is just no room for discrimination or hate anymore. . . I’m a human being, and so is every other person out there that is gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or straight. . .They really need to rethink this. And to have open minds and really remember in the end, love is what matters.”

It is unlikely that these supposed Christians are going to be willing to rethink their bigotry. After all, they would rather hurt others than be real Christians. There is a video of this at ABC6, and there is mention of their phone number…

Comments

comments

106 Responses to Christian School Pulls Ohio Man’s Alum Page After They Find Out He’s Gay

1. Ken

June 2, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Someone told me that they didn’t approve of the gay lifestyle. I said, loudly, “Oh, so YOU’RE the one! YOU’RE the universal approval authority! I wondered who that was. Now tell me, I’m curious: What part of the ‘gay lifestyle’ don’t you approve of? Is it the grocery shopping?”

2. Pat

October 17, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Bridgette, I hate to disagree with you, but “Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live” didn’t have anything to do with intentionally sowing the seeds of the Burning Times. The original text was written in Aramaic, and spoke of “a poisoner”. When translated into the Greek, the word used was “potion-maker”, a much more ambiguous word, as it carried the possible connotation of healer. From Greek to Latin, it became “witch” in the Vulgate, and King James’ scholars stuck with that interpretation. When looking at the King James version, we have to remember how little archaic, original material they had to work with. Almost all of it was translations of translations of oral traditions written down hundreds of years later. James I really had very little in the way of a religious agenda for that Bible; it was commissioned mostly to help bring an end to the internecine fighting starting with Henry VIII, by giving the English people a Bible they could read themselves that was sanctioned and used by the Monarch’s Church.

3. Pingback: Christian School Removes Alum from Website for Being Gay | Just Out

4. Stephen

October 16, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I just can’t fathom how anyone could think that a book written by a nomadic people 2000 years ago has all the answers or that all of the answers are even correct.

Anyway…
    David is basically a success story for the school and they dropped him like a sac of potatoes just because he is gay. Despicable. Truly a shameful moment in the history of this school that should be emulating the love that Jesus gave rather than the doctrine of hate they are following. No wonder christian denominations are shrinking.

5. Pingback: Ohio Queers: Delaware Christian School shuns gay alum; response from another gay former student « Queer Corner

6. Charles

October 16, 2011 at 5:32 pm

The ones responsible for his being booted outright first congratulate him for all of his great accomplishments. Yet when he is merely forthcoming and honest about his orientation, that by itself is now considered a punishable “sin”??? Mindless and clueless fundamentalists, (Sarcasm) You gotta love em!!

7. Pedant

October 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Such a slaughter of syntax and grammar is indicative of homeschooling.

8. Davids Roomate

October 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I am amazed to see the comments on here….I cannot believe some people are so naive. Most people stand up for what is right others are just silly….DCS Anonymous student…you are yet a child..someone who really does not understand the world. I went to a Christian high school and graduated from a conservative Christian college. I would hope that those institutions would not ever make such horrible comments about me. And yes my dear there are most DEFINATLEY gay kids in your school 100% positive I would bet my life on it! It is a Christian School I have a running list of the Gay people that graduated from MVNU from 01-05 and there are over 80 names on that list….and guess what most are successful. David is standing up for what is right!

9. Joe Marrazzo

October 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Reading the brainwashed comments from some of these students is downright creepy. David, run from this school and don’t look back.

10. WereRTheLions

October 16, 2011 at 10:11 am

I think its about time to bring back the lions!

11. DCS Alumni

October 16, 2011 at 4:10 am

First of anonymous student, do not guarentee that he NEVER said that he was “gross and immoral”! The other alumni and I have known him for 13 years and it is almost comical how quickly he will say things like that, and how often he has said things like that in the past! Don’t be naieve! This is a big deal because this whole situation is a perfect example of the hateful teachings that so often arise at that school during situations like this, the default response being to lash out with condemnation and disrespect instead of love and any kind of passive disapproval. DCS had every right to take him off the page, because the disapproved, but they did not leave it alone after that, they did not down play the incident, that is the problem! The fact that you know as much as you do about the situation proves that, at the very least, the faculty has either brought it to the attention of the students or otherwise made no attempt to downplay the situation to them. The school has always demonstrated behavior like this, and don’t be foolish enough to saying it has not happened and will not continue to happen!

12. Bridgette P. LaVictoire

October 16, 2011 at 2:11 am

The flaw within what you wrote is that women do not have to be with a man to have a baby- at least not directly. I will also tell you that, so far, the Rapture was suppose to happen in AD55, AD1000, AD 1850, AD 1995, AD 2000. The prediction is always there, but it is based upon a form of literature that was common at the time that the Bible was first being written down.

• Ken

June 2, 2012 at 2:09 pm

The word “rapture” doesn’t appear in the Bible. The concept did not even exist in Christianity for 1,800 years until John Darby cooked it up. It is based on a misunderstanding of a passage in 1 Thessalonians. John Darby’s views spread among 19th-century churches whose clergy were uneducated and had no seminary training. The mainline churches don’t believe that crap, because that kind of “theology” has been heretical in historic Christianity since AD 325.

“Heresy” has a hysterical meaning in the West since the Reformation. It really just means a false or aberrant teaching. In the ancient church, a heretic was not allowed to teach or take Communion, but could still attend church. Some ancient theologians, like Origen and Tertullian, went through heretical phases. Their orthodox teachings still command respect.

13. Yet Another Disgusted Alum

October 16, 2011 at 12:40 am

And Bridgette, I respect the way you have educated yourself on all sides of the matter, formulated your own opinion, and listened to your heart. That is honorable….And unfortunately rare with the segment of the population you were addressing earlier. Thank you for giving such well formulated and hopefully thought provoking answers to both Elizabeth and Andrew. The most we can hope for is that they would bring what was discussed to class and it would spurn others to rise above the regurgitation of distorted reality.

October 16, 2011 at 12:43 am

Thank you. I try very hard to understand the world around me, even if my beliefs do not mesh with those that I study.

• DCS Alumni

October 16, 2011 at 4:29 am

I agree, thank you Bridgette.

14. Yet Another Disgusted Alum

October 16, 2011 at 12:30 am

I am yet another recent grad of DCS who wants to address other DCS students & parents. I have also done so on my FB acct, so I am willing to say both publicly & privately what an appaling representation of DCS this has been. I am ashamed to have gone to a school, also for 13 years, where the administration would respond with such a tasteless blurb. If David had been treated with respect this entire thread would not exist. No where in the Bible does it say to ‘Disrespect Thy Brother When They Hath Sinned’. If you as a student are comfortable with an administrator, essentially representing you as well ,reacting in such a manner, then you obviously have a lot to learn about respect. But that is to be expected, because I too remember the lack of things taught by the faculty there, let alone the faulty nature of much else. To the DCS parent, I am also a parent and am troubled by the absence of parental response to the way this entire situation was handled. Almost all of the problems I have with the school are generated by the notable silence from adults- especially at times when correct communication is needed most. Please disregard all regurgitated rhetoric when speaking to your kids, push them to explore the vast amount of resources available to them, and above all else educate themselves. That is how hate has been passed on from generation to generation- even inside Delaware Christian. Please morally guide them, but stop with the bigotry. I was personally pulled aside by one of the current staff there and told I should not date the boy I was with because he was black, and we would be ‘unequally yoked’. Does this shock you? It should. This happened in 2005, not 1965. Students, don’t follow the word of the faculty about religion just because they said 2+2=4 so naturally all their moral teaching will be correct. If each person lays aside their bias and searches for real Truth, it will be found.