Homophobic Iowa Baker Facing Boycott

Victoria Childress, the owner of Victoria’s Cake Cottage in Des Moines, is having a problem. Because she decided to refuse to make a cake for Trina Vodraska and Janelle Sievers, she is now facing a boycott and is now beign accused of being anti-gay, homophobic and a bigot. Childress baked five cakes for the couple to taste, and when one of them came in, according to Childress, “She introduced herself, and I said, ‘Is this your sister?’ “She said, ‘No. This is my partner.’”

At which point, Childress told the couple that she was unwilling to make their wedding cake, and said “I was straight-forward with them and explained that I’m a Christian and that I have very strong convictions. I chose to be honest about it. They said they appreciated it and left. That was all that was said.”

Childress, of course, wants special treatment so that she can discriminate against others. Soon after that, Childress began to receive hate emails, and local media calls. Vodraska told KCCI that she was offended by Childress. After all, Vodraska, a Christian, stated that “It was degrading. It was like she chastised us for wanting to do business with her. I know Jesus loves me. I didn’t need her to tell me that. I didn’t go there for that. I just wanted to go there for a cake.”

The couple released a statement calling Childress a bigot and saying that “Awareness of equality was our only goal in bringing this to light, it is not about cake or someone’s right to refuse service to a customer.”

The Iowa Civil Rights Act was amended in 2007 to include sexual orientation, and the couple have not said if they are willing to file a complaint under that law against the baker. The Iowa Civil Rights Commission has declined to confirm or deny whether they will launch an investigation. The law allows exemptions only for religious institutions, and not for individual businesses.

Childress has said that her decision has nothing to do with discrimination or the lesbian couple, which shows that she lacks any understanding about this at all. Childress stated that “It doesn’t have anything to do with them – it was about my convictions. They can get their cake anywhere.” She has also said that money is not the issue, and that “I’m being attacked because of my beliefs – my convictions to their lifestyle.” She is also no longer reading the hate mail saying that “It’s really hard to read things like that. I’m a pretty quiet, soft-spoken person. But when I stand up for my convictions against things, I’m very strong when it comes to that.”

She has gotten some positive reactions, and a couple of cake orders. She has said that “People are telling me they were proud of me for standing up for my beliefs because not many people do that these days. Business people are afraid to because they’re afraid to lose money.”

While there have been a few positive reactions, there are many more critics. Dana Schaub, a local baker, stated that “To have someone say, ‘Well, I’m sorry because your lifestyle is different from mine, I’m not going to take care of you and help you. And I don’t want your business,’ it’s wrong on so many levels.”

Childress, though, says that she was simply stating her beliefs. She said “I was not rude. I was not condescending. It was matter-of-fact. I told them, ‘I’m sorry, I just can’t do that.’”

Of course, that is the problem. She believes that what she is doing was not hurtful, wrong, or problematic. She probably does not see it as condescending either. Simply put, she sees it at being alright for her to discriminate.

Via Fox News

Comments

comments

28 Responses to Homophobic Iowa Baker Facing Boycott

1. Santa's Son

December 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm

“Bottom line is we are a secular society, and that’s the way it is.”

Religious inspired/justified discrimination is so ugly when it’s up close and personal!

2. Michelle

November 26, 2011 at 5:16 am

Oh good, the couple said this in a public statement: “Awareness of equality was our only goal in bringing this to light, it is not about cake or someone’s right to refuse service to a customer. We are grateful for the outpouring of support we have received and hope that by stepping forward we have prevented someone else from experiencing the same type of bigotry.” So that’s all they wanted, and I appreciate that very much. They let others know there is a prejudice business owner, and brought important issues into people’s discussions. Plus they gathered support for the LGBT community, which is terrific.

3. Michelle

November 26, 2011 at 5:04 am

It doesn’t matter if some of the commenters here believe being gay is a choice. They can believe that all they want, just like they can believe the Earth is flat, the Universe is only 6,000 years old, dinosaur fossils were only put here to test man’s faith, and evolution doesn’t exist. No one has to believe scientific facts. Personally, I like to believe 1+1= 5. Screw facts, they’re too confusing and they frighten me. Psychology? Biology? Anthropology? History? All fake pseudosciences! People aren’t born gay!

Sigh. People are so willfully ignorant. My only problem with the lesbian couple publicizing this incident is that it makes it seem as though gays really are trying to force an oppressive agenda on people’s personal freedoms. Ignorant fundamentalists will use this as a weapon against human rights legislation. I feel this incident should be publicized as a social issue, not a legal one. This isn’t a public institution. I am appalled at the bigotry, but at the same time, this was (I assume) a private business owner refusing to make a wedding cake, not a justice of the peace refusing to marry a gay couple, or a restaurant refusing service to a gay person, or a job refusing to hire someone based on their sexual orientation. Yes, it’s disgusting and will hurt her business, and yes, it’s an example of the ignorance we are engulfed in. It’s no different than refusing to bake a cake for an interracial wedding. But it caused no harm and I find no evidence showing that this woman was cruel about it. I personally just don’t feel this is part of the legal battle, just the social battle for equality ( which is just as important). It’s stupid to be against gay marriage, but you can’t fight for equality by suing ignorant bakers.

4. Pingback: Lesbian Couple Considers Suit Against Christian Baker Refusing Wedding Cake - Word of Truth Radio Show

5. Robroberts

November 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

I think Ms. Childress coild solve all our problems by moving to Uganda. That way we would have one less hateful bigot in the United States, and Uganda would have another highly appreciated “warrior for God” in their genocidal campaign to imprison and execute gay people.

“oh I am just a good Christian following my values by not baking the lesbian couple a cake” I hear Ms. Childress saying. No, what you are doing is making the judgement that they are less than other humans, and dont deserve to be served. It is these judgements that the American evangelical Christians have brought down to Uganda — who are now passing laws to punish homosexuality by death.

So, Ms. Childress, wether you like it or not you have blood on your hands. How does it feel to walk with God as a participant in genocide? Perhaps you would enjoy that, as in Uganda you will have NO gay customers, and if you do you can simply report them to the police. And as they are eventually all put to death, you will definitely never have to dirty your hands making a cake for a filthy ldesbian couple.

I have little hope people like Ms. Childress will ever make the connection between their attitudes and actions and suffering and evil on this planet. Ms. Childress has God and Religion to hide her hate and bigotry, and live a self satisfied existence she feels is honoring God. But more and more of us know whose hands have blood on them, and who will truly be judged by any universal being in the end.

• The Undeniable

November 20, 2011 at 2:42 pm

never thought about that before, but i think shipping dominionst, apostolic reformed and all the other extremist christians off to uganda is a wonderfully smashing idea. its closer the the holy land. lots of uneducated people that they can dupe into following anything they say. those rasict christians will really enjoy all the blacks they can enslave and kill… just say they are gay and it’ll be good because hunting season for the gays is almost at hand in uganda. i’d think it is a christians paradise complete with the traditional wars, disease, famine and pestilence. there is so much to blame god and the devil for there!

6. LMisht

November 18, 2011 at 11:49 am

“She believes that what she is doing was not hurtful, wrong, or problematic.”

People choosing (and fighting for legality of) a gay/lesbian lifestyle believe just the same thing about what they’re doing.

Yet other people are concerned about their rights to believe otherwise–to NOT support these lifestyles–being taken away.

Who’s right, hmmm? Are you right because you’ve taken shelter of a romantic/sexual attachment? Are they right because they’ve taken shelter of a religious practice? Are you going to put yourself up as judge of others this way, all the while condemning others to judge or make any distinction?

People should be allowed to make their own choices. That includes in who they take business from and what they believe as well as who they sleep with. Of course, some regulation is good so that people don’t violate one another. But someone drawing a boundary for THEMSELVES is not violating anyone else. If it hurts your feelings, deal with it.

If you want people not to be able to believe what they want to believe and live their lives accordingly, you are setting yourself up for the same treatment. Stop crying victim and take some responsibility for your own feelings and choices, and don’t expect the world to pander to them. YOU make them work; don’t expect the government or the people around you to do it.

• The Undeniable

November 20, 2011 at 9:02 am

Sorry, but it IS against the law to discriminate- like it or not.

Iowa Code section 216.7(1):
      Unfair practices – accommodations or services.

It shall be an unfair or discriminatory practice for any owner, lessee, sublessee, proprietor, manager or superintendent of any public accommodation or any agent or employee thereof:

a. To refuse or deny to any person because of race, creed, color, sex, national origin, religion or disability the accommodations, advantages, facilities, services, or privileges thereof, or otherwise to discriminate against any person because of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion or disability in the furnishing of such accommodations, advantages, facilities, services, or privileges.

b. To directly or indirectly advertise or in any other manner indicate or publicize that the patronage of persons of any particular race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion or disability is unwelcome.

7. Kris

November 18, 2011 at 6:00 am

I am not able to understand why the gay community seems to feel the need to force their sexuality on everyone. Whether you’re born gay or make a choice to practice the gay lifestyle, it seems to me that sexuality should remain where it belongs, in the privacy of one’s home, between 2 consenting adults. God alone will be the judge of each and every individual. If Ms Sievers and Ms Vodraska have an issue with Mrs Childress, the solution as I see it, is quite simple. Go to another bakery and order your wedding cake. This country was founded on freedom, and it seriously angers me that as long as I go along with certain groups for their “rights”, my rights are trampled on or completely disregarded. Good for Victoria for standing firm on her convictions. As an amatuer baker, I would decline orders for what goes against my love of Christ, as outlined in the Bible. By the way, how childish to resort to name calling and to call a bakery requesting a KKK cake, grow up. If that’s not doing something to hurt someone, what is? (referring to s lubin and robroberts)

• The Undeniable

November 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm

“Whether you’re born gay or make a choice to practice the gay lifestyle, it seems to me that sexuality should remain where it belongs, in the privacy of one’s home, between 2 consenting adults.”

exactly, with all the rights and privileges that their heterosexual counterparts enjoy and live with.

if the religious right weren’t trying to deny and stop equality amongst glbt people, same-sex marriage wouldn’t be an issue or in the public view right now. if you don’t want the gay thing “shoved down your throat” (always cracks me up), maybe you should just stop denying folks their rights and get on with your life.

• Robroberts

November 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Kris — what is al this “gays force their sexuality on everyone” hysterics about? I am 47 years old and have never forced my sexuality on anyone or had anyone force their sexuality on me. Maybe Kris, younare going to the wrong bars. Or maybe, any hint of gay sexuality activates your hatred and bigotry. Have you looked around, Kris, at the vast majority of sexuality in our culture? It is about 99% heterosexual. So until you start a crusade to stop heterosexuality, would you just shut the fuck up about gay people? If you hate us that is fine, just keep it to yourself, as younare no longer invited to the party of civilized human beings.

8. hard knocks

November 16, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Me thinks thou dost protest too much. Never said I hated anyone. Never said God said that or this. Did not consider you ignorant.

I will ask you to educate me on one point. What do you think about the Man / Boy love, Shall we accept that also. If your prone to wanting sex by forcing someone else should that be acceptable also.
    I understand that there are people that have a physical attributes or hormone imbalance or what ever. The fact is there are many many more who choose to act on any urge they have.
    Where to you draw the line?
    Why in heavens name do you need to make a public statement out of your private sex life? Are you sure you are not attracted to the shock value of the attention.

One other thing you might give some thought: What will future generations be like?

• Leslie Orion

November 16, 2011 at 11:59 pm

“Me thinks thou dost protest too much”? What does that even mean? If you mean that you think I am gay, you are wrong. I’m a very happily married woman (31 years of marriage). I just have a rough time dealing with people who judge (condemn) others regarding something over which they have no control.

How can you POSSIBLY bring Man/Boy Love into this??? At least the part about forcing sex on someone else. That is a reprehensible, CRIMINAL act. So is any MAN who forces himself on a WOMAN. Don’t confuse sexual orientation with criminal behavior!

Then you go on to say “The fact is there are many many more who choose to act on any urge they have”. The FACT? Where did you find this FACT. Please give me the source so that I may educate myself. I am GUESSING that YOU are the source of this FACT.

What will future generations be like? Are you implying that past generations did not have gay people? Fear has kept many, many people in the closet. Now, with many people educating themselves (or just following God’s directive of “Love one another”), more gays are taking a chance of being themselves, and not faking a heterosexual life just to survive.

You may reply to this with any FACTS that you have. I will not be visiting this page again because it saddens me to read remarks that are based in such intolerance of one’s fellow man. I will, however, pray for your enlightenment. I truly am sorry for writing with such a passion. However, when I read of children who commit suicide after being bullied because their behavior did not match society’s idea of “macho”, I feel that I must stand up for those who are too afraid to stand up for themselves. Bullying takes many forms — and it is never right. Live and let live. Or, love and let love!

November 17, 2011 at 1:01 am

You draw the line when you hurt someone, but that appears to be a lesson that many “Christians” never learn. You do not force children to have sex because they do not understand it. They are incapable. It does harm. Being openly gay or lesbian does not harm people, but forcing lesbians and gays into the closet does. Raping someone causes harm. Killing someone does harm.

As for making a “public statement out of your private sex life”, being lesbian or gay is about more than just sex. Trust me, I happen to be a very chaste lesbian…and a virgin to boot. Yet I am as lesbian as Portia DeGeneres and her wife Ellen. This is about rights. What this baker did was harm someone else, and she is having that harm revisited upon her many times over, but she is too stupid to understand the harm she did someone else.

As for the future generations…we can only hope that they shall not be as bigoted, blinded, or patriarchal as the past generations.

9. hard knocks

November 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm

@Leslie, you have nailed it. What God has joined together. If God really made this union, then no wedding cake incident, non-acceptance by the masses, or approval of public matters.
    Something tells me that is the bigger issue.

The laws of God, not man are the ones you need to worry about.

His court is the ultimate high court. So the real issue is what does your own Holy Spirit tell you.
    You must stand alone when it comes to that.

• Leslie Orion

November 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Wow, hard knocks, did you NOT get what I said!!!

The Bible says that “what God has joined together, let no man put asunder”. It means no divorce. HOWEVER, I bet this baker will make a cake for a divorced person who is getting married AGAIN. She wouldn’t use her so-called Christian faith in that case — I guarantee you.

Now, if you think that being gay is a CHOICE, you need more education. It is not something one chooses. God made people who are gay. God LOVES them. Period.

Seeing how people who are ignorant (like you) treat gay people, seeing how they are shunned, beaten TO DEATH, hated, etc., …… who in the hell would CHOOSE a life like that??? It takes guts and courage to be who/what you are in life and not to hide. God is the final judge. God said, “LOVE ONE ANOTHER”. What part of THAT is too difficult to understand? He did NOT say, “Love all those who YOU think are obeying my word”!!!

Get over yourselves, all you judgmental people out there. Spend less time criticizing and more time getting educated!

• The Undeniable

November 20, 2011 at 2:52 pm

ah, but we do not live in a theocracy, therefore, you have the right to believe as you want, but you cannot push that belief on others- nor may you hurt or break the law simply because of your religion. you wouldn’t let a muslim act illegally on their beliefs, now would you? again, this is NOT a theocracy.

10. hard knocks

November 16, 2011 at 11:43 am

This lady respectfully declined making the wedding cake.

Why do gays have the right to force acceptance of their sexual CHOICE on everyone else.

We don’t have any rights to be accepted in our choices.
    There are consequences to all life choices.

People do not have to accept me.
    I am willing to suffer the burdens of my beliefs. I share them with you if only if you wish.

If you choose to wear the hat, don’t expect everyone to admire it.

Quit whining, there are real problems in the world, and your gay agenda is not one of them.

• The Undeniable

November 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm

“This lady respectfully declined making the wedding cake.”

yes… and that is illegal. did you bother to actually read the law?

Iowa Code section 216.7(1):
      Unfair practices – accommodations or services.

11. Booberry

November 16, 2011 at 8:39 am

Stephen have you ever even left the street you live on?
    Do you know anything about the world?

Please consider an attitude of tolerance. Live and let live.

12. Scott Marcus

November 15, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Iowa Code 216.7 UNFAIR PRACTICES — ACCOMMODATIONS OR
    SERVICES.
    1. It shall be an unfair or discriminatory practice for any owner, lessee, sublessee, proprietor, manager, or superintendent of any public accommodation or any agent or employee thereof:
    a. To refuse or deny to any person because of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, or disability the accommodations, advantages, facilities,
    services, or privileges.

• The Undeniable

November 20, 2011 at 2:47 pm

and there it is. ;)

13. Leslie Orion

November 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm

As a Christian, it just slays me when people judge others and still call themselves Christians. The Bible says “What God has joined together, let no man put asunder” in relation to divorce. Whatcha wanna bet that she makes cakes for divorced people who want to re-marry?

• The Undeniable

November 20, 2011 at 2:47 pm

i bet she does ;) and with a smile on her face.

14. Robroberts

November 15, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Stephen Lubin — your remarks are offensive and readers can draw their own conclusions about you. And — what are you doing posting comments on a lesbian webite? Shouldn’t you be as NASCAR.com or Guns&Ammo.com where you will be more appreciated?

I called Victoria Childress’s cake shop and asked if I could order a “kkk cake” to honor the assasination day of Martin Luther King,mas she seems so knowledgable about hate and vigotry. She hasn’t gotten back to me.

Perhaps younwould like to order your own hate cake? Victoria Childress can be reached at 515-729-0253.

• The Undeniable

November 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm

heh-heh-heh ;)

15. Stephen Lubin

November 15, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Good for this bakery. These lesbo pigs are not married and this baker has every tight not to bake a cake for these lesbo pigs.

November 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Not really. Childress violated the law, and these lesbians are getting married. Oh, and you made yourself look like a fool. Nice job.